Would you buy a Hornby Electric train set for a 5 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoMama

Reaction score
My son has asked for a train set, it will be a gift from Grandma & Grandad. They called today and have pre ordered a Hornby set.

But I'm a bit unsure as I've been online to see which one, and it costs £140 and has all these technical words such as dcc ready???... To me this makes it sound like an adult enthusiast's set rather than a kid's toy.

What do you think?

My FIL is into Hornby trains so to me I would say they are more for an adult but I'm sure your LO will love it anyways

Thanks.

I know he will absolutely LOVE it, as it's exactly what he's asked for (Virgin train!)... But, I'm a bit worried that he is too young for a proper Hornby train set, are the delicate? He's not a rough boy, he plays very well with his toys and would hate for it to brake!

I can't remember how young we were exactly but both me and brother were bought hornby trains when we were younger. It will probably need adult supervision, especially as they aren't cheap. Whenever we played with them we only did with my dad, which is probably why they are still in very good condition nearly 20 years later.

I think his age is fine for an electric train set as a toy but I probably wouldn't buy one for my children until i was sure they would look after it. If my DD is anything like she is now when she's 5 and i got her one she would unintentionally damage it and i dont think theyre cheap to fix.

Thanks Lib. I definately think use with adult supervision is a must. Worried because it edges in between toy and model, so will prob be bit more fragile.

Can't get over the price though!... She's spending more on this than we're spending all together :wacko:

We found a hornby train set in a cupboard when we moved in, and my son who is 4 1/2 loves it, although he plays with the wooden train set more often. Don't play with it on carpet, as little bits of fluff get in and block up the metal connectors b:thumbup:

I would definately say use with adult supervision xx

Thanks for the advice Jenstar! :thumbup:.... I've been looking at vids on youtube of geeky old guys. I think this train will end up being the 1st of many :/.... It's amazing!

I don't think that's too young, he'd definitely enjoy it! But I agree, with adult supervision as they do have some more delicate pieces. We have a Lionel brand Polar express train set we bought last year, and the boys were actually really good with it (That was 3 and 18 months at the time last Christmas, and they always asked for help once we made sure they knew mommy or daddy needed to help them when they played with it under the tree). It was expensive, so I do worry about it getting broken, but I also realize that that's a possibility that comes with buying it at their ages. I want them to enjoy it, as that was part of the purpose in getting it. So I think as long as you have those expectations in mind, it'll be fine.

Thanks jd. My son would like the polar express (we watched it the other day and he was enthralled!)....

It is expensive, and the main reason it worried me was because there are other electric trains for around £30 such as in toys r us, and I thought that would be more suited for his age but I'm coming to terms with the cost now as my dc aren't in to computer games and some of the prices of those are extortionate!

Thanks jd. My son would like the polar express (we watched it the other day and he was enthralled!)....

It is expensive, and the main reason it worried me was because there are other electric trains for around £30 such as in toys r us, and I thought that would be more suited for his age but I'm coming to terms with the cost now as my dc aren't in to computer games and some of the prices of those are extortionate!

You get what you pay for with those things, though, so keep that in mind too. Yes, a $30 set is much cheaper, but I have some friends who went that route and they didn't even last a season with the motors in them. My best friend bought one of those, and it stopped working after a month, so she now uses it just for decoration under her tree. So in that sense, the investment is worth it for a quality set that your son can enjoy over a longer period of time.

We plan to only get our out at Christmas time each year, hoping that will keep the interest in it each year, and hopefully prolong its use.

Thanks jd.... Good idea about christmas time :) I know ds will become bored with it, but then if I put it away for a few months he will love it when it comes out again :)

Only other thing I'd recommend is rechargeable batteries. They go through batteries quickly, so its far cheaper in the long run to get rechargeable.

It's electric plug in wall one :thumbup:.... But always need batteries at christmas :)

ds1 at 5? yes. He was obsessed with trains, he knew the technical terms and he would have taken proper care of it. ds2 at 5, or ds3 now/next year (5 in march) ? noooo way. I think it really depends on the kid and if he is a bit over-phased by it you could always put it away for a year or 2.

Thanks Motherofboys. I know my ds will be great with it, he's very respectful of his toys and would be devastated if one

His nephew on the other hand!.... Lets just say it'll be going away when he comes round :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"