• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you choose a job based on the maternity pay?

BlueWater

Reaction score
I'm not pregnant (yet) but because I'm looking for a new job that will help me climb the ladder, I thought I'd look at the maternity pay, should I get pregnant.

So I've been doing my calculations, and I'd like to know, would you choose a job based on the maternity pay?

Current job: Standard role, £8000 mat pay, plus 26 days annual leave (if I wanted to add that on to the leave period)

New job: Leadership/Management role, £5000 mat pay, plus 20 days annual leave.

Any thoughts?

ETA: my current job also pays full sick pay - I'm not a sick person but should I need it, it's a great company benefit.

Yes I would take into consideration the other benefits to the package of a job such as maternity benefit and whilst it wasn't the main reason I left one company to go to another it was certaintly something that was a point in the pro column for the new column.

Yes I would take into consideration the other benefits to the package of a job such as maternity benefit and whilst it wasn't the main reason I left one company to go to another it was certaintly something that was a point in the pro column for the new column.

I'm happy where I am - but I'm getting offers for a management / leadership role - but the new company offers less benefits and I'd get less mat pay.

If I was pregnant right now, (so wish I was) I would stay where I am.

Yet so many decisions :shrug: the maybe's and the what if's

No. If the job was like for like then yes it would be a consideration, but I wouldn't ever pick a role (especially one lower than I could achieve) just for the sake of extra money on maternity leave, I've never even looked at a maternity policy when looking for work, maternity leave is such a small amount of time in a career I would always pick the role most beneficial in the long term for my career. I guess if you didn't plan on returning afterwards it may be different, but maternity leave is for 9-12 months, the job is potentially for much longer. I would be looking at how flexible and family friendly the company is after work more so than the maternity policy.

I Have only really looked at the benefits package as whole. Generally speaking a company offering a good benefit package will offer a good mat package but it wouldn't be the sole reason I take the job.

I think it would depend on the roles on a whole and each ones pros and cons, though better maternity benefits would certainly be a plus, but certainly not one to choose a job around.

I'm currently an upskilled worker doing a job which pays below where I have been trained within the company, in order to have time to up skill further so I can skip to the next management level above when the next training interviews happen in the summer. This is the quickest path for me to get from where I am to a management salary within the next two years, and have both healthier maternity options and a guaranteed role that matches my skills when i'm back from maternity leave.

I've not so far looked (or plan to look within the next 3 years) at my options outside my current company. I'm the main breadwinner of my family (one partner works in NHS and his progression options are currently limited plus he's interested in being a full/part time stay at home dad, and the other is a warehouse operative who is a hard worker but not interested in management so would probably step down from full to part time flex after I go back to work)

Though my situation is somewhat unique.

Even though the mat benefits at the new company are less, would the long term pay/progression benefits be worth it?

I think it would depend on the roles on a whole and each ones pros and cons, though better maternity benefits would certainly be a plus, but certainly not one to choose a job around.

I'm currently an upskilled worker doing a job which pays below where I have been trained within the company, in order to have time to up skill further so I can skip to the next management level above when the next training interviews happen in the summer. This is the quickest path for me to get from where I am to a management salary within the next two years, and have both healthier maternity options and a guaranteed role that matches my skills when i'm back from maternity leave.

I've not so far looked (or plan to look within the next 3 years) at my options outside my current company. I'm the main breadwinner of my family (one partner works in NHS and his progression options are currently limited plus he's interested in being a full/part time stay at home dad, and the other is a warehouse operative who is a hard worker but not interested in management so would probably step down from full to part time flex after I go back to work)

Though my situation is somewhat unique.

Even though the mat benefits at the new company are less, would the long term pay/progression benefits be worth it?

My current job has a whole round better benefit package (no other company could beat it) - my only issue is it's not a leader/management role (which isn't too big of a deal at the moment - I'm willing to wait another year)
and the other is although I get a higher hourly rate than any other company, I pick up less because I only work part-time. Whereas the new company offer me less an hour but I would pick up more because I'm working more hours.
- The wage is the big deciding factor.
- but do I choose more an hour but less the month or less an hour but more the month

For me maternity pay matters.

However, saying all that if in a year's time there are changes to my job (e.g. I get a full time role, or get promoted), I will be better off staying where I am than any other company.

My partner has said if I'm not 100% about the new job, then I'm best staying where I am.

Thanks for all replies - hopefully I'll be able to make a decision

Hmmm. Personally, if staying in a non leadership position wasn't a concern for now, then it would depend on a, how many hours you were comfortable with, vs if your current job offers optional overtime. If you want to work more anyway, then the new job would offer that and bring in a stronger wage overall, if you would rather work part time but take on the higher per hour overtime as it comes up/if you choose, and keep the other benefits, then staying where you are might be better?

Hmmm. Personally, if staying in a non leadership position wasn't a concern for now, then it would depend on a, how many hours you were comfortable with, vs if your current job offers optional overtime. If you want to work more anyway, then the new job would offer that and bring in a stronger wage overall, if you would rather work part time but take on the higher per hour overtime as it comes up/if you choose, and keep the other benefits, then staying where you are might be better?

Currently, I don't get paid for overtime- I get it as time of in lieu, which since January I've already banked a week - which I'm happy with (hello social life!!).
The new employer have said they'll do the same - but in reality I don't know how better/worse their approach is.

The money that I do make provides for the lifestyle I currently have, so any more money is just a bonus.

I know in the future my current job is flexible if I have children.
The risk is not knowing the new company's protocols.

I only browsed jobs one day because I was curious - I've now got one definite job offer (but is twice the drive) - and another job offer that I reckon is a maybe, maybe not.

A thing about the new job is, I might get asked to work 40 hour shifts over 4 days (giving me a 3 day weekend) - in reality I don't know how that would make me feel mentally and physically. I know when I did it in the past, I was physically sick and ill by the second week.
(I work with children, so very demanding role)

Anyone have experience of working long hour shifts? Pro or con, because it still amounts to a 40 hour week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->