Would you choose a name when you didnt like the nickname? Thoughts?

superfrizbee

Love my princess & prince
Reaction score
DH and I struggle with boys names we both like, I in particular only have two boys names I particularly like. One of these is Alistair, but I wouldnt like it if he/others shortened it to Al... What would you do? Choose the other name (which I do like and DH doesnt seem to mind), or stick with my original favourite and risk it being shortened?

My names Kimberley, my mum hates Kim, and so do I lol so growing up if tell people to use my full name. People still call me Kim, slightly annoying at times, but I've never been bothered too much

I would still have the name if you liked it, and just correct people if they try to shorten it. My brother is Alan but always hated his name so he has always been Al to us, but if anyone tries to shorten my DD name I correct them :)

I think he'd be more likely to get Ali than Al.

But yeah, I'd still use it :) When we were thinking of using Violet, we HATE the nickname Vi and would have just corrected people :)

I think it would be easy when he is a baby/child to correct ppl if they try to shorten it - but when he is a teen or adult HE may prefer Al. So if you pick this name you do have to accept the fact that possibly in the future he may choose to go by Al.

I took the names Gabriel and Francesca off my lists, bc I don't like the nn's Gabe or Fran.

I think you should go for Alistair if you like it the most. Any name can be altered to something else, shorter or longer. I also think people would use Ali rather than Al.

use it if you like it! my brother is stephen and bil is andrew and no one ever shortens their names- if they did they'd be talking to someone else I guess.

I am in the same situation. We really like Eliza for this baby but hate Liz. we also like Violet but hate vi.
However I would still use it aslong as you insist he isn't Al then I don't think people will call it him x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->