Would you do something?

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
I will apologise now for the long rambling post wrote via phone so assuming with several spelling mistakes thrown in:wacko:

Basically my eldest is very hyper with us in the home and when out but really not that bad in school. He seems to have got worse as he has got older and still now I have to for instance remind him every day not to just wander onto crossing at school (if not holding him will just carry on walking regardless I trust my 2 year old more!) One of the other things is his reaction to strangers, he has no issue with walking through town spinning around, dodging purple, banging into them etc. Feel like I am constantly apologising on his behalf which is getting embarrassing as he gets older as surely he should know better?
We were in jewellers today looking at rings (OK not the most stimulating shop for a 6 year old boy but again feel like he is old enough to just stand and behave for a few mins), he would not do as he was told and in the end a shop assistant was talking to him, within 5 minutes he was running into her arms to be picked up, talking nonstop and she asked me what he was diagnosed with with as he reminded her so much of her eldest son who has adhd!
I have always thought something was not right but he seems to be able to behave at school fine, talks a lot and does love the teachers and ta's hugging them a lot but not the hyper ness we get at home and when out as family.
Is the interaction with adults when out over the top? He seems to have no inhibitions at all and would honestly go and hug/hit etc. Some random person in the street if told to with no thought what so ever. (Just to point out we have not let him but I have a couple of times said something to the point and he has gone to) was hoping as he got older it would get easier but it's just getting more and more embarrassing, he is no longer the cute 2 year old running off and laughing, acting silly for attention from others, he now just seems a bit silly as a getting taller every day 6 year old :growlmad:

Wow that really did go on, thank you if you read it all!!

He sounds very sweet! I would guess it's just his personality if there's no problems at school

I have always gone down the personality route but do occasionally wonder and the Lady today asking what he had been diagnosed with threw me!

My son is younger but sounds similar. He has no real awarness of danger, he can tell you in theory that something is dangerous e.g. he knows cars will hurt you, he knows the oven will burn etc but he's so impulsive that I cant trust him not to do it/touch it anyway. He has no stranger danger, he will literally talk to anyone and is very over friendly. I have no doubt he would happily go off with anyone without a second thought. There are a few other things as well. School have picked it up as a potential issue but because he's only in nursery they are wanting to just observe it for now. His teacher mentioned ADHD but he doesnt have all the signs, he can concentrate on activities etc and has good relationships with peers. His teacher thinks he could just be slower with his PSE development.

If your concerned I would talk to someone, starting with school, then maybe your doctor. Hopfully they will put your mind at rest its just his personality but if it is something more at least you can get the ball rolling with any extra support.

my 6 year old is a nightmare at the shops. she slides herself along the floor and everything and will happily be totally cheeky to me in front of people! she wouldnt hug strangers though but i am not sure if she would still not hug them if they tried to encourage it. heres an example my friend was watching her for me one day and her brother came in. her kids all ran to him to hug him and she done the same. She didnt have that thing that said wait iv only seen this person one time. she just saw everyone else do it so joined in. its little things like that. or for example we were out at the stables and she was hanging out the car window and told a passer by they were gorgeous! her social skills are a bit behind though to be fair. shes very small and petite though so easily could pass for a 5 year old i tend to let people think shes younger when shes dishing out some cringey behaviour lol. I do hope she will mature

My youngest is very hyper, he is a bit older than your son, he talks non-stop, cant sit still, fidgets all the time and has no sense of personal space at all, he jumps on people, gets into their face while talking and always touches them but he is great at school, the teachers have noticed he fidgets and talks alot and can distract other children but apart from that he is doing great, listens to the teacher, does his work and is in the highest group in his year although my son is being assessed for ADHD. If you think there is something there then I would make an appointment with your GP and talk it through with him/her, I have always had a feeling there was something with my son but after being told he was just spoilt I let it drop and now at almost 9 years old his friends are saying mean things to him and people are commenting on how 'active' he is, I wish I would have went with my gut instinct all those years ago. x

Shamefully I have actually told people on the odd occasion he has some hyperactivity issues to excuse his behaviour :cry:

I had the school senco talk to me today about an ongoing issue with his writing. Sure she was hinting at other bits, asking about his lack of concentration at home. Unfortunately unplanned meeting and I had my other son with me with nothing to entertain him so I could not actually talk as he kept running out of the room

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->