Would you ever give a baby the same name as an ex?

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
Ok so I love the name Jude, but it is the name of an ex that I would out with about 15yrs ago.

My hubby doesn't know I went out with this guy & I dumped him, but I just happen to love the name.

When I gave my family the run down of a few names that I like, they all burst out laughing when I said Jude.

Is it best to pick a different name of its a boy or do I just so for it??

It depends.

Not a serious ex.

Maybe an only younger teenage flame.

That said, id be upset if I found out OH had said our girls name and it was a girl he had known.

So I am torn on this one.

I think it's very strange, and like midnight said, turn the tables the other way and imagine how you would feel if your hubby chose a girls name that was the same as someone he once dated. I personally wouldn't do it.

No, I wouldn't, despite one of my exes and one of DH's exes having names I really like.

I don't think it's weird at all. I have considered one of my old boyfriends names that I liked (when i was really young) and also tried to convince hubby we should use the name of his ex fiancé! But he flat out said no, and his friends would have found it very strange. :haha:

Wouldn't do it. I've liked names that my dh knew people by and that was enough for me

We are using the middle name James to honour my father in law. I did remind DH that my ex was named James, and he was still OK with it.

I think its best you at least let him know?

I loveeeee the name Jude BTW :)

The Only boys names I really like at the moment are Jude (an ex's name), Michael (the name of my big cousin's son who was handicapped & passed away when he was 12 - 5yrs ago), Saul (Hebrew for Paul - my hubby's name) & Matthew.

I wouldn't personally but I don't think it's that strange, as long as you tell oh about the ex and he doesn't mind. Definitely wouldn't use the name without discussing it with oh first though, as he's likely to find out from family or friends at some point.

I couldn't do it, it would just remind me of the ex every time I said the name.

I would, as long as my DH was aware of the connection and OH with it. We had a girls name on our list with DD1 that is also the name of a girl who tried to poach DH away (boo hiss :haha:), not quite the same but I was still fine potentially using it. We considered using my ex (the person I dated before DH actually)'s name and again it wasn't a problem for either of us (we didn't end up using the name but not because of the ex connection)

My Dad did with me, and ever since my mum found out she's been terribly bitter

I also would be very unimpressed if my husband chose a girl name that happened to belong to an ex. I'd feel very uncomfortable. I think it depends on the kind of ex, though. Somebody you innocently kissed as a teenager is very different to somebody you have had an intimate relationship with xxxxxx

I wouldnt. I wouldnt even name after someone I didnt like. I am having such a battle with names.

It depends. If it was someone I dated in high school then yes but if it was a long term partner then no probably not.

My husband wanted Penny when we didn't know the gender but he has had crushes on 2 different Penny's in his past so I flat out refused! And he didn't even date them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->