Would you give your children the same middle name?

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
Hello! I'm due any day now and we still haven't got our name(s) sorted!

My question is in the title really - we really love the middle name our daughter already has. It doesn't work as a first name with our surname, but Hubbie seems keen to use it as a middle name again if we have another girl.

Has anyone else done that? Is it weird??

IMO, yes it's weird.

In my family, first names are unique to each person but middle names are family names. With middle names, I'm named after my aunt, my sister is named after a close family friend, my daughter is named after my gran. My boyfriend doesn't have a middle name, nor does anyone in his family, so he's happy to follow our family tradition. To make it fair, my daughters first name is a different version of his grans name.

It's not something I would do, but one of my friends has done it with her two girls and both their names are lovely. I don't think it's weird at all, it's just personal preference and what you're happy with :)

Well myself and my daughter have the same middle name so I guess I can't really say it would be weird lol.

I don't think it's weird no, it's not something I would personally do but then my daughter has my name as her middle name so I'm not one to talk really :haha:

I don't find it wierd no. Middle names really don't mean a thing in my family. Mine is not related to anyone, and my brother's arnt either. My sons is Max purely because I liked the name but not enough to be a first name.

This little one will however have family names as their middle name. Either Ann for both mine and my partner's mum and Paul for my late dad.

Go for whatever name you like, if you adore your daughter's middle name, then use it again :)

I personally wouldn't, but each to their own!

Siblings with the same middle names, yes I think it's strange. A friend of mine named her youngest daughter after her 2 eldest. I don't like it but hey, not my choice and I don't judge.

As for naming a child after you, I see nothing wrong with that. My sister is Loren Nicole, her daughter is Indie Nicole and this baby will be Kairi Nicole. I always wanted to use my sister's middle name for my own daughter as her and I have always been close and my niece's middle name doesn't put me off. Alternative spelling: Nope. Not for me.

Would I name my child after me? HELL no! Lol. My middle name is Marie and I HATE it!! Also means bitterness.

If you and hubby really like your daughter's middle name, then use it again. :) After all, it's you guys who are naming your children. :)

I wouldn't but I have used middle name for this one which is also my moms middle name. The boys have middle names one uses my dads the other uses DHs. So we definitely pass down middle names but I didn't give any of them the same one.

It's really your personal preference.

My boys both have two middle names. Their first middle names are different, but their second middle names are the same - their second middle names are both my surname, since we decided not to hyphenate their last name. So, no, I suppose I don't think it's weird that they would both have the same middle name, but I'm not sure I would have done it if we hadn't decided to use my last name in this way.

I think it's weird... but my in laws (grandmother, mother in law, her sister, and my sister in law) all have the same middle name, which happens to be my middle name... I think they hold a grudge that i didn't pass along the 'family middle name' to our daughter... I want her to have individuality though.. and I really dislike my/their middle name.

I personally would give them different names. I often call my children by their full name (first and middle) so would never choose the same middle name x

Two of my boys have the same middle name, and a third who actually doesnt have a middle name has the name added to him when the kids are calling him:) For me its not a problem at all and in fact will give them an extra connection to each other in older life, like sharing a birthday, something extra special for them :)

I have an Addison Anne and Hadley Anne. My middle name is Anne too.. so is my MIL and my mom. It runs in our family...

My mom, older sister and I all have the same middle name and I always hated it lol. I feel like everyone else has history and character to their middle name and my mom just wanted us to be like her. if she could have gotten away with it, I imagine she would have named both of us Jr. ha ha ha!
My sister is also not a fan of our middle names and my mother tried to push the passing of our middle name on to my niece as well. Can not wait for her to push it on me when I have kids! And my brother has a full on family name, first name shared with our great, great Grandfather and his middle name shared with our great great great Grandfather. I always thought that was pretty cool.

My first name is Emma, (most common name ever) and my middle name is Leigh. and because of this, everyone in the world thinks my name is Emmalee. It sucks and I get into arguments over it often. So, not only to I have one of the most popular girls names in history, I also have a lame, compound middle name to go along with.

Ultimately, who cares what everyone else thinks :) if it feels good to you, thats all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->