Would you have said anything?

noon_child

Reaction score
Today I was at a family fun day type thing. I saw lady feeding her baby puree while it was lying flat on its back on a rug (it looked around 5months old maybe?). I never did puree only family food so I wasn't sure if this was OK. My initial reaction was "OMG she shouldn't be doing that should she?" but then I second guessed myself, and totally wasn't sure how I'd go about approaching her anyway. Now I feel guilty that the baby might be in danger of choking and I should have said something.....

I wouldn't say anything either. My motto is not my baby not my business.

No, I wouldn't have said anything either. You'll forever see people doing stupid things to their children and I don't think you can burden yourself with policing them. It is potentially dangerous, but people need to work that out for themselves and do their own research. They are likely to take offense rather than to see it as kind and constructive criticism anyway, so it would be unlikely to make much difference. I think you did the right thing given the circumstances.

Geez, that is beyond stupid. Can't believe she couldn't figure out that's a major choking hazard!

Would I have said something though? Probably not, though I'd have been tempted to ask if she wanted me to hold the baby while she feed it.

I hate when people comment on my kid. Even something like telling her to be careful bothers me when I'm standing right there. You don't know her baby or her. There may have been a medical or behavioral reason why she did that. It's not for you or anyone really to judge another mother. You can patent and feed your child how you want and you are welcome to disagree but don't ever think you know how to parent better than someone else. The one and only exception is if you see someone causing physical pain to a child. Otherwise shut up and let them be.

I hate when people comment on my kid. Even something like telling her to be careful bothers me when I'm standing right there.
Urggh I hate that too...I am right here people!

You don't know her baby or her. There may have been a medical or behavioral reason why she did that. It's not for you or anyone really to judge another mother. You can patent and feed your child how you want and you are welcome to disagree but don't ever think you know how to parent better than someone else. The one and only exception is if you see someone causing physical pain to a child. Otherwise shut up and let them be.
That's exactly why I didn't sat something...but then started that thread because I wondered "Did I just leave it alone because I didn't want the confrontation, didn't want to be seen as 'that person' who thinks they know better and if so was I putting that child at risk? Should the child's safety and the education of the parent come before me not wanting to be perceived as 'that person'?" How would I feel if I did something that caused my child harm and then found out afterwards that everyone else knew it was dangerous but didn't tell me incase I got offended?

I hate when people comment on my kid. Even something like telling her to be careful bothers me when I'm standing right there.
Urggh I hate that too...I am right here people!

You don't know her baby or her. There may have been a medical or behavioral reason why she did that. It's not for you or anyone really to judge another mother. You can patent and feed your child how you want and you are welcome to disagree but don't ever think you know how to parent better than someone else. The one and only exception is if you see someone causing physical pain to a child. Otherwise shut up and let them be.
That's exactly why I didn't sat something...but then started that thread because I wondered "Did I just leave it alone because I didn't want the confrontation, didn't want to be seen as 'that person' who thinks they know better and if so was I putting that child at risk? Should the child's safety and the education of the parent come before me not wanting to be perceived as 'that person'?" How would I feel if I did something that caused my child harm and then found out afterwards that everyone else knew it was dangerous but didn't tell me incase I got offended?
I see your point about danger and offensiveness I think all you can do is take to heart that even in cases where you see a parent physically assault a child or if you hear a child report sexual abuse chances are you confronting the adult is not going to end well. It's not your roll. If the adult is a friend then it might be different but the most any individual can do is report those things to the police. If it's borderline and they aren't asking your opinion or its not obvious think about it if it was you. So i was trying to feed my baby and the baby was laying down and someone said it was dangerous I would wonder why they felt it necessary to speak up. You have to stir up purees to break them up and get the consistency right so unless she fed him in your line of sight while he was laying down there's nothing to say she wasn't just stirring the food up. It's a rough call but unless I knew the mom or saw the food go in the mouth while lying down I wouldn't speak up and if I did see that the most I would do is recommend the bumbo seat.

I would have wanted to say something but as the others have said, unless it's someone you actually know, I wouldn't have. You can never judge how a comment will be taken. While I would feel bad for the baby, I wouldn't want my head taken off for worrying about what could happen. No point being judged for 'interfering' in someone else's business if they are only going to take it offensively anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->