Would you let your 5 year old play out?

I actually would where I live as it's quite quiet, but they would have to stay where I could see them. In your circumstances I wouldn't for another year or two. I personally think that we are so scared of what might happen to our kids that we stifle them. The risk of child murder (by strangers) hasn't changed since the 70s - it's 11 a year - but our fear has increased massively. The vast majority of kids that are abused etc. are abused by someone they know and trust (over 90%), not by strangers.

I wont let my 5 yr old play out the front. Hes to young. He plays in the back garden x

i let my daughter play on our street with her friends but i sit on the door step and keep a watch on them, me and her friends mum who lives across the road take it in turns. just cannot trust anyone anymore to let her out :-(

I think it depends on where you live and your child tbh.
We allowed our eldest daughter to go out to play with her friends on the street at the age of 5 but we stayed on the front for the first couple of months to now watching her through the window (she's 6 and a half now) she also has has good road sense which helps :)
And yet on the other hand our second daughter is 5 in July and we won't be allowing her to go out to play on the front for a few years yet! Mainly because she was born blind and she has no road sense ;)

i let my kids in the street at 7 and 5, but that was with lots of other kids n me watchin out window they only used to go up n down pavements on their scooters but i still did worry but i saw how much they enjoyed it so i let them aslong as they stayed together n didnt go right to the end of our road x

how times have changed!

when i was a kid i used to be out with my friends all day. i'd only come home to eat or when it got dark! my mum was really chilled and she did lots of stuff with us too. i lived on a council estate so there were always people around. everyone knew everyone and kept an eye on each others kids.

as a result i was extremely streetwise, fit and healthy from all the running around and blackberry picking and had the best childhood ever! and i wasn't feral and never got in trouble or did anything really naughty. my mum taught me about repsect and without the childhood i've had i don't think i'd be the very confident, streetwise and practical person i am today.

i think it's so sad that children nowadays can't have the same freedom that i had.

i've let my son out the front from the age of 4. he has strict instructions on boundaries and i keep an eye on him through the window. there are always lots of kids out the front so he is never on his own. we are also very lucky that we don't have any roads to worry about and have a park and green literally right on our doorstep.

i think it depends on each families situation. if i was in your position i probably wouldn't let your LO out for a little while yet as you can't see where they are playing.

In your circumstances, no.
My 4 year old plays in our street with her elder siblings where I can see her and we live in a gated community so it's fairly safe.

Not a chance in your situation!

My daughter is 4.5 and very mature for her age but wouldn't even contemplate it. She has been out with her older cousins (all around aged 10 and upwards) but wouldn't consider letting her out on the front if i couldn't see her.

I agree we stifle kids too much nowadays, I was the same as a previous poster, out playing all day with my friends without a care in the world but I think 5 is too young particularly when you cant see them.

Probably not, ok if the two are in the garden together. although we live in a fairly decent area in a quiet cul-de-sac.

No chance... she can play in the garden/drive or the house. Once she's in school ill start letting her go to friends houses but ill be taking her.

xx

Absolutely not, 5 is way to young imo to play out alone .
Josh is 4, & he isn't even allowed in the front garden without me. He plays in the back garden where its secure.
Point blank no way to young stick to your guns hun x

I wouldnt, but have also wondered if I was too overprotective..Sadly, You just cant trust anyone out there.

Its not just others that we need to be wary of, ok we say our kids will never walk off but you truly dont really know. It doesn't take much to tempt them & they will be off whether its another child playing a little further away or taking them for a walk your child may well just go with them & then what? Dread to think about it.

Im on a dead end so there are no cars my way at all & i wont let josh play on the front street, Not even if her over road says she'll watch him!

No i agree with you hun, my boys are 6 in a couple months and my girl is 9 but i only let them out on the street to play if I am there to watch them even though you can see them from my windows clearly and we live in a quiet cul de sac. They have a mini park and a veg patch in the back garden so that's where they spend most of their outdoor time.

no way mine werent allowed out till they were 11 and even my 14 year old has to be in before its dark too risky these days xx

Got a while before I have to start worrying about this but not a hope in hell's chance - they'll be at least 30 before I let them out of my sight lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->