Would you let your 7 year old walk to school?

I think its still a bit young to let them go on their own! I think I would wait a little while longer

I wont let my son walk for a long long time because it is over a mile away x

Hi there, this is Steve from Kia Motors UK. I thought I’d let you know that we offer free help and kit for parents and schools wishing to set up a walking bus in their local area. A walking bus is a great start to the school day; the kids are up and active, they get to school safely and on time and by walking instead of driving, they cut out unnecessary car journeys.

A walking bus can have as few or as many children as you wish and is very simple to set up. There’s a ‘driver’ at the front and a ‘conductor’ at the back (specially trained parents). It takes the same route to school every day and picks the kids up along the way. Once your bus is set up, we’ll send a pack of high visibility jackets so you’re prepped and ready to go.

You can find more information and download a starter pack at https://www.kia.co.uk/About-Kia/Walking-Bus.aspx.

My OH's daughter is 5 and her mum drops her off at the end of the road to the school (still a 2 min walk) and i was horrified when E told us she walked on her own. Even if she stays in the car to watch her walk into the gates anyone could just grab her.

Oh is going to talk to her about this as even her cousin of 10 gets distracted by friends and has nearly been run over crossing the road.

I think its too young, they do need some independance but that is pushing it i think.

my younger sister has just turned 9 and has been walking to school for about a year or so.. granted the entrace is literally 2 minutes away and you can see the back of the school and the end of my mums street when Chloe gets there she runs to the gates at the back and waves to my mum before going into school. my mum isn't lazy and is already up and dressed to take my little brother to school, Chloe just likes her independence and is very wise for her age! x

my mum definitely wouldn't let her walk 15 minutes alone though x

My 8 year old daughter would probably be responsible enough but not my 7 year old son. But I still wouldn't allow it. I am a paranoid mom who's seen too many stories and I couldn't chance it.

I know they will all be in a group but how often do some kids listen to a 9 year old?

Another no here. I'm considering letting my son walk to school with his classmate in the new school year - he'll be 9 next month and she's 10 in October. It's a 8 minute walk with no busy roads to cross (yes we've timed it to the minute, don't ask lol). I think year 5 is plenty early enough though and I'm going to miss walking him when he does start going by himself :(

My oldest didn't walk herself until she went up to secondary as I was still walking the younger ones but middly started taking herself about halfway through last year when she was around 9.5 (youngest is now at a different school to her). She's always been very grown up for her age though.

I think it would depend on the kids and how responsible and mature they are. I walked to school when I was 9 or 10 and my sister who is 4 years younger than me came with me too. It was about a 15min walk and involved crossing a busy main road at the traffic lights. Although thinking about it I think that was a temporary thing until she found a caregiver to take us to school..
If you're not comfortable with it, then I'd just continue taking them until you feel they can make the journey on their own.

I went to school at 6 years old as did all other pupils.

I haven't read all the replies, so sorry if I repeat :)

From at least Y2 (6/7yo?) if not earlier, I walked to school and back myself. It was about a 5-10 minute walk, through a residential area but crossing a busy road. My 5 year old son is very sensible, and I think from about 7-8 I would consider letting him do that journey... However, where we live now is quite a bit further (5 minutes by car, so about 25 mins walking) so I wouldn't let him do that alone or even with friends, for many years yet.

From what you have described, I wouldn't be happy letting them walk on their own either. Is there a consession you could make? Is there a relatively safe point that you could walk them to - 3/4 of the way there or something - and let them walk the rest together? Then meet them at the same point on the way back?

i actually think 9 is too young to be doing that walk especially having to be responsible for other children.
i wasnt allowed to walk to school until i was about 10 but even then my mum watched me walk there as it was so near (two minute walk on a very straight road)and only with another friend. she wasnt happy about that even but i made a big deal about it.

:nope: NO WAY, not a chance. Way too young nowadays. Never know what could happen. Member Jaycee Dugard? She was snatched right in front of her stepdad and you cant catch a car! A CHILD IS NO MATCH TO A GROWN UP. Not to mention all the other emergencies that could happen. My kids get hurt playing in their own backyard. I would rather be called overprotective than live without my child the rest of my life! If anything ever happened you would always blame yourself and could never go back and change things. I know i cant stop all bad things from happening to them but what i can i will!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->