Would you risk attending a wedding in Guernsey 4 days before edd?

Freya

Toddler and baby
Reaction score
As title says really, love to hear your opinions and experiences!

I'm due on 3rd august, have an important best friends wedding I'd love to attend on 30th July.... I live in Derbyshire, she lives in guernsey so not exactly a stones throw from home!! I began labour with dd on due date, not sure if this is an indicator of how a 2nd baby will enter the world?

Hmmmmmm???

Personally I wouldn't risk it for 2 reasons.....one is you just never know how quick that 2nd labor is going to be (my girlfriend just had her baby this weekend.....from start of labor to delivery was 2 hrs.....didn't make it to the hospital). Secondly you are most likely going to be EXTREMELY uncomfortable making it hard to enjoy the event. Thirdly, for all you know you could already have had the baby or still be in the hospital. We have an important wedding (that my dh is actually in) the week AFTER baby is due and I have no intention of attending with a newborn.....I'm bummed to miss it but just not willing to be far from home with a newborn.

How would you get from your house to Guernsey? As far as I'm aware there is no way you'd be able to fly so close to your edd, I've never looked into travelling policies on a ferry, are you sure they would accept you as a passenger? You'd also need to look into whether you would be covered by any travel insurance, and what would happen if you did manage to get to Guernsey and subsequently went into labour. Where would you need to go? Would you be able to book in? What would happen about registering the birth etc? Would you need ID for the baby to travel home again and how would you get this? Also, you"d need to take your labour bag, car seat, clothes, nappies, bottles and steriliser (if you're using them) etc for the baby just in case you did have the baby. What would you do if your labour/delivery was complicated? I personally don't think it is practical, and if your friend is that good a friend, she'll totally understand if you chose not to go. I drove to and from Brighton 3 weeks before my edd with Emily, and people thought that was insane lol x

How would you get from your house to Guernsey? As far as I'm aware there is no way you'd be able to fly so close to your edd, I've never looked into travelling policies on a ferry, are you sure they would accept you as a passenger? You'd also need to look into whether you would be covered by any travel insurance, and what would happen if you did manage to get to Guernsey and subsequently went into labour. Where would you need to go? Would you be able to book in? What would happen about registering the birth etc? Would you need ID for the baby to travel home again and how would you get this? Also, you"d need to take your labour bag, car seat, clothes, nappies, bottles and steriliser (if you're using them) etc for the baby just in case you did have the baby. What would you do if your labour/delivery was complicated? I personally don't think it is practical, and if your friend is that good a friend, she'll totally understand if you chose not to go. I drove to and from Brighton 3 weeks before my edd with Emily, and people thought that was insane lol x

It would be by car and then ferry for sure. Travel insurance wouldn't be needed as far as I'm aware, as guernsey is uk.

I know she would understand, I just really want to make it to see her on her most happiest day! It's no bother to throw in a car seat and hospital bag. Might be good if bub came a week early, I don't mind getting out with a newborn. It's probably the most convenient age lol!

Meant to add (on phone) gave sussed out the medical services and it would be birth suite at the hospital on the island. No home birth allowed there I think! Registering won't be a problem I don't think, register at home listing guernsey as place of birth.

I bf so no worries about sterilising on the hop, and no complications in labour and have just been signed as low risk on my notes. So a few plus points, but all points that need thinking about so thank you for mentioning them. The biggie would be comfort and whether ferry services would allow me on. Xxxx

I wouldn't personally as I just wouldn't feel comfortable being away from home and not having my midwife.

Sounds like you have done your research though and if you are happy to then I say go for it!! :thumbup:

Personally, no.. but that's going by how Harrison's birth went, so i was in no fit state to be out wandering about on ferries :lol:

Its up to you if you want to go for it, then as long as you're prepared and happy to give birth in a hospital thats not your own... but you mentioned a home birth... personally, if i was gonna have a home birth i'd want to stick to that plan. xx

Personally, yes. I always go over my due date though. If you feel happy with it go for it.

I'm so torn with this one as I'm kind of in the same boat.....my husband's brother is slated to get married on August 21 which is my due date! My hubby is supposed to be the best man (we haven't told anyone that we're pregnant yet) and I really want him to be able to go and enjoy his brother's day. Obviously I'd like to go with him as well. The wedding is on Vancouver Island which is an hour and a half ferry ride plus an hour's car ride away from where we live......I figure I'll probably be late as this is my first child so I'll be able to make it. It's interesting to see people's advice- it's hard when you want to supportive for your family and friends!

I'm so torn with this one as I'm kind of in the same boat.....my husband's brother is slated to get married on August 21 which is my due date! My hubby is supposed to be the best man (we haven't told anyone that we're pregnant yet) and I really want him to be able to go and enjoy his brother's day. Obviously I'd like to go with him as well. The wedding is on Vancouver Island which is an hour and a half ferry ride plus an hour's car ride away from where we live......I figure I'll probably be late as this is my first child so I'll be able to make it. It's interesting to see people's advice- it's hard when you want to supportive for your family and friends!

That's it exactly, wanting to be there on such a special day! We sound in very similar 'boats'. We've not gone public with our news yet but if all goes well at scan I'll have some serious thinking to do. I understand your fears, with my 1st I went j to labour on my due date - that was the one thing I wasn't expecting lol. Feel very torn. Xxxx

Arrrrrrghghghghhhhhhh. Just looked at the ferry policy and it's not good news. I thought they would have more flexibility than airplane operators but no. No passage after 34 weeks!! Rude rude rude.

Personally I would go, not only would it be a great day out, but I can personally tell you that the hospital and staff there are fantastic, efficient and friendly. :) xx

Anyway, another consideration is that Guernsey no longer has a reciprocal healthcare arrangement with the UK so you would be charged for your stay in hospital should you need treatment. That's because Guernsey is not part of the UK.

I wouldn't say no immediately - as long as you're happy to go into labour and have the baby there, just take your notes and hospital bag with you! I went to a wedding full term about 70 miles from my home, and did it in a long day with my sister, i was fully prepared for birth there. With my second i'm more cautious because i expect my labour will be a lot shorter and i'd need to seriously think about how bothered i would be having it away from home (not much really, my local hosp is RANK)!

From your last post re: the ferries it looks like you won't be able to go anyway :(

But before i saw that i was going to put that i think it's a personal choice that only you can know whether you'd be comfortable making the trip or not.

We went on holiday to Whitby for a week when i was 34/35 weeks pregnant with Toby. It was a 4 hour drive each way and as OH can't drive that was entirely up to me. It was a lovely relaxing holiday though and a great start to my mat leave. I took my hospital bag and notes and birthing ball and tens machine and made sure we knew where the nearest hospital was :thumbup: I went into labour at 38 weeks so i know what you mean about being thrown for a loop a bit, as i'd expected to go overdue, and knowing i was 2 weeks early last time has me wondering if i'll be a bit early again this time or whether it's completely unrelated iyswim?

Sorry you're not going to be able to make it to your friend's wedding :hugs: i'm sure she'll understand but i understand your disappointment and wanting to be there

Anyway, another consideration is that Guernsey no longer has a reciprocal healthcare arrangement with the UK so you would be charged for your stay in hospital should you need treatment. That's because Guernsey is not part of the UK.

That doesnt matter as we all have E111's to cover healthcare in EU countries which means we can claim it back.

I would have risked it, to be fair, but the ferries have put pay to that. Sorry what a pain...:(

I wouldn't either. I had my little girl at 39 weeks, and had no warnings that labour was on its way :shrug: My waters just broke and 15 hours later she was here.

That doesnt matter as we all have E111's to cover healthcare in EU countries which means we can claim it back.

Having an E111 wouldn't have made any difference as Guernsey is not part of the EU. You would have been charged for your stay unless travel insurance covered it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->