would you take your baby to outdoor evening event at approx 2 months old?

lightweight

proud mummy
Reaction score
My Mum asked if we wanted to go to an outdoor concert event that will be when baby is about 10 weeks old or so. I said I'd rather wait until nearer the time (i.e. once baby is born) and what were we going to do with baby? (Given my Mum doesn't approve of breast feeding in public - I was surprised she even suggested it) and she presumed we'd bring baby with us.

Given the unpredictability of weather etc - my gut feeling would be to wait till much nearer the time, but I just wondered what others thoughts / experiences were?

It depends! What sort of event is it? Will there be big crowds and the possibility of the baby being jostled? Will you be standing or sitting? Will it be loud? How late is it likely to end? And obviously the weather's unpredictable!

I don't think I would have done it, even if it's something fairly quiet and calm. My DD has needed to go to bed at 7 since she was pretty small and used to get very unhappy if we kept her up later. If that happens, it'll upset you and everyone nearby too!

I definitely wouldn't. There are too many factors that could cause baby to catch a flu/cold/etc. Also if there's a large crowd, may pose possible danger to a 2 month old being pushed. All this in addition to not being able to breastfeed due to your mum's dislike.

We'd be able to sit down, but some of it might be a bit loud (and finishes with fireworks although we could leave early) - so would finish somewhere between around 9.30 & 10.30 pm I think.

Nope. At 8 weeks, mine would get completely overstimulated and go berserk. Some babies might sleep through it. Unless you know your baby's personality (and you don't yet obviously) then I'm not really sure if you could say either way at this time.

Honestly, at 8 weeks, you'll probably be too tired and not care to go at all, IMO. You would murder your own mother to get an extra 45 minutes of sleep at that stage.

I'm presuming this will be nearer the summer (or what we loosely call summer!)
I would wait and see what your LO is like (how they feed, settle etc). I think I would have taken Madeline at that age - but she was a pretty easy going baby.
Do what you feel is right at the time.
As an extra point - I can't believe your mum thinks like that! x

Wait & see if possible. It's really difficult to know.

I think at 10 weeks I could have taken her. But only if I had a decent sling.

I would leave it untill baby is hear and you see how baby reacts to crowded situations. as long as baby is ok tho no reason why you couldnt take a sling. baby should be able to sleep and be nice and warm cuddled up to you.

I think at this age I probably would have gone. I'm guessing this a "proms in the park" type thing they have in summer with either classical music or bands or shows (like Grease etc) in a big open park and you take your picnic and there's lots of families etc. Am I right? If your LO doesn't have a set bedtime by that age I may be tempted. My only worry would be the weather but you wouldn't really be able to make a decision on that until the day I guess.

I would :) at that age my LO was in no type of routine so yeah I would her just put her in her pram so she could sleep.

X

i wouldnt, although your baby might sleep through the music because its more or less a continuous noise, the fireworks would likely wake your LO up.

I think at this age I probably would have gone. I'm guessing this a "proms in the park" type thing they have in summer with either classical music or bands or shows (like Grease etc) in a big open park and you take your picnic and there's lots of families etc. Am I right? If your LO doesn't have a set bedtime by that age I may be tempted. My only worry would be the weather but you wouldn't really be able to make a decision on that until the day I guess.

yup - it's a proms in the park type thing, so is family orientated.

I think I@d rather wait until the day itself, or day before and decide then. Given everyone's responses are different it seems to depend a lot on the baby too!

Yes and I did. At that age the noise didn't bother him in the least and he could sleep anywhere.

I would!! I'm taking LO to PITP in September (he'll be 10 months) I personally wouldn't worry about routine. Evan is only just in a lose routine now, even if baby is in a routine are you going to NEVER EVER go out of an evening with LO because they have to go to bed? If you can take the pram go for it, it will cover all eventualities with weather and be a place for LO to nap.

But I would also make my decision nearer the time too once LO is actually here. You never know even you might not wanna go :haha:

We took our LO to a good friend's wedding when he was about 8weeks old. He coped very well with the whole day. If you've got a good sling, it'll be fine, mine just slept in sling on his dad for most of the evening. But I would definitely wait til the baby's here before confirming.

We took our LO to a good friend's wedding when he was about 8weeks old. He coped very well with the whole day. If you've got a good sling, it'll be fine, mine just slept in sling on his dad for most of the evening. But I would definitely wait til the baby's here before confirming.

we've got a wedding to go to when LO is going to be about 6 weeks old - and we had to reply by next week, so have said yes for now, but will confirm once baby is here!

If it's a family thing, yeah I'd probably have gone :) you can always leave early if you need to.

Yeah I definitely would have, when Ivy was two months she didn't really have a set bedtime and was happy to sleep anywhere! Although I'd probably wait till LO is born to see what kind of baby it is, some would be a little too over-stimulated probably.

I would have! At that age my baby had his last bottle at 11pm. But to be honest I was often out later than that and he slept in his pram and we transferred him to Moses basket when we got home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->