Writing backwards

Natsku

Reaction score
Maria has just got interested in writing so I've been writing words for her to copy but half the time she writes them backwards. The letters are written the right way, but the word goes from right to left. Does the same with writing a list of numbers too. Is this normal? How do I teach her to do it the right way? She can see the right way because I write the word first but still does it backwards.

Hi, I am a school psychologist so I specialize in developmental disabilities.

Writing backwards is very developmentally appropriate so please do not worry about it. It will likely resolve itself. And as silly as it sounds simply mentioning writing left to right is the correct way might be all she needs. You might also write it and have her go over your writing with a highlighter. Or try something meaningful like her name. Also, read it after you write it and then after she writes it. It will help her understand here is purpose behind the letters and order matters.

Thanks, I do it with her name often and she does get that the right way more than other words. I'll try the highlighting thing. Thanks.

Hi, I am a school psychologist so I specialize in developmental disabilities.

Writing backwards is very developmentally appropriate so please do not worry about it. It will likely resolve itself. And as silly as it sounds simply mentioning writing left to right is the correct way might be all she needs. You might also write it and have her go over your writing with a highlighter. Or try something meaningful like her name. Also, read it after you write it and then after she writes it. It will help her understand here is purpose behind the letters and order matters.

Abigail did this too for a while but doesn't seem to do it much now she writes more at school. Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to ask since we have an expert in the house, my DS is almost 4 and doesn't have a pencil grip yet or a dominant hand. Does this mean he is more likely to be dyslexic? My husband has severe dyslexia so we are kind of expecting George to be dyslexic too. I'm not too worried about it, just worried about the possibility of him not being picked up early if he does have it.

Natsku, I think it's great that Maria is developing an interest in writing without going to formal schooling yet. Abigail is made to do so much reading and writing at school already and she isn't interested in it. I'm worried it will put her off. Love the system you have over there!

I really don't know where it came from, it suddenly appeared out of nowhere! I got my mum to send some Biff, Chip and Kipper books for her to see if she's interested in reading too but she's definitely not ready, doesn't under stand letter sounds at all. But writing is fun anyway :)

Hope Abigail doesn't get put off reading and writing. I worry about that too, I really want Maria to have a great love of reading like I do.

Yes, I think sometimes they just aren't ready at 4 or 5. Their brains aren't developed enough. I guess it depends on the child as I know some just take to it. My friend's daughter struggled so badly with reading. She was in the bottom group for two years and was really behind. One day, it just clicked and at the age of 7, she is now reading Enid Blyton and has moved from the bottom to the top group in the space of two months. She just suddenly got it!

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to ask since we have an expert in the house, my DS is almost 4 and doesn't have a pencil grip yet or a dominant hand. Does this mean he is more likely to be dyslexic? My husband has severe dyslexia so we are kind of expecting George to be dyslexic too. I'm not too worried about it, just worried about the possibility of him not being picked up early if he does have it.

Not developing a dominate hand until 7-9 is an early sign of dyslexia. Some of the other signs might include mixing up sounds in words when speaking, difficulty with reciting the alphabet in order or counting, they also have difficulties with r, l, m, n when speaking. So red might actually be wed. Rhyming is also really hard for them. Also a lisp or stutter is an early warning sign. More extreme signs might be a delay in speaking or language development. Difficulty with fine motor skills like holding a crayon or tying shoes can also be signs. Dyslexia is very similar to "right brain" children in that they have difficulty seeing small details so writing and coloring within the lines is difficult because they are to focused on taking in the entire picture.

I am in the US so kiddos with suspected disabilities at age 3 can get screened at the local schools. I would recommend following up with your pediatrician or your local school to see if there are any screenings they can do. At this point it is very difficult to determine if a child will have a reading disability (which is what dyslexia means). But there are often enough early warning signs to determine the child is "delayed" and early intervention can be put into place. The earlier intervention starts the better the outcome.

Please know I am not trying to scare you. But if you have reason to believe he is at risk do follow it up. You are his best advocate and learning disabilities do tend to run in families as it is a cognitive processing weakness.

:hugs:

Also, boys are just less interested in learning and sitting still. Some of the research I have read has shown that boys are not developmentally ready for school until age 8. So your little guy is still young and a lot can change for him.

But you guys are right about that little girl being delayed in reading. Kids are not developmentally ready for the rigors school demands until they are a little older. Unfortunately public education has not caught up to that.

Yes, I think sometimes they just aren't ready at 4 or 5. Their brains aren't developed enough. I guess it depends on the child as I know some just take to it. My friend's daughter struggled so badly with reading. She was in the bottom group for two years and was really behind. One day, it just clicked and at the age of 7, she is now reading Enid Blyton and has moved from the bottom to the top group in the space of two months. She just suddenly got it!

Ah that's great that she just got it suddenly. I was an early reader (before starting school) so I guess I expected Maria to start early too but she has no concept of it at all. I just worry about her learning to read in English as they might not teach her in school until 3rd grade.

Thanks ladies!
Krissie, that is really helpful. He can't colour in the lines and is delayed a little with fine motor skills. He is very articulate with a wide vocabulary for his age, but still does have trouble with some sounds (says v as b still). I read some research that said if a son is born to a dyslexic father they have a 75% of developing dyslexia. I'm an English teacher so although I know that dyslexia presents problems at school, I also know it needn't be a barrier with the right support in place. I will certainly flag it up with his teachers when he starts his school introductory sessions.

Natsku, I don't remember when I learned to read, but I do remember I was devouring Famous Five books by the age of six or seven. The books Abigail reads at school are obviously really basic phonics books and she has a very vivid imagination so I think she just finds them boring (which they are).

I think it's great that Maria will learn to read in two languages. I guess once she starts picking up the Finish, you could try some English words with her at home. I bet if you google it you could find advice on how to develop two languages. My friend lives in Turkey and her children have been bought up there. They have picked up English reading a little later but are now just as competent in both languages. They read in Turkish at school and for pleasure they read in English.

Cattia, I'm working on my DD's pencil grip now. Her grip is horrible, she hasn't stopped wanting to hold things in her fist. This week I started working with her and it's going well. I think in some kids it needs training. My son naturally switched his grip when he was around 4, my DD hasn't on her own.

Natsku, Glad to hear Maria is wanting to do it on her own. Now I just started making Avery do "work" every night. I'm mean. lol

I bet she's bored! I think I probably learnt to read so quickly just because I was bored of those basic books and wanted to read the more interesting stuff!

I shall look up some tips for Maria. One day I'll be getting her to read things in Finnish and translate them for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->