wrong to refuse early sweep? GD related

lisaboo79

Reaction score
Hello

I have had gestational diabetes since 16 weeks which is well controlled with insulin, i have regular growth scans which are all looking fine right now, i had it with DS and was induced at 38+1 and it was an absolute nightmare from start to finish

I have told the consultant that i dont want to be induced and she has just brushed me off and tried to make me feel guilty about it, so what i have said to her is that i understand if there is a problem with baby then thats a different story but its not something i want, i know i will be having a sweep and i accepted that was fine

anyway i have 2 more appointments with the consultant and my 2nd one will put me at 36+5 and this is when she wants to do the sweep, am i wrong to think this is a bit too early? it just seems a bit scary, does anyone think i would be wrong to refuse, if everything is fine that is? any opinions would be greatly received

If you are not comfortable with a sweep at 36 weeks, I think it is perfectly fine to refuse. My OB has offered a sweep at 38 weeks, which I plan on accepting because I have felt that this baby will come early for pretty much the entire pregnancy (I don't think my dates are right, so its not so much that I think he'll be 'early' as I think the due date is too late).

If nothing happens, I will most likely be induced at 39, or 39+1. I'm personally coming to terms with that, but it isn't as big a deal for me because in my heart I'll feel more like I'm at 40+ by that point.

I believe there are tests that they can do to tell if the placenta is deteriorating, and of course growth measurements can tell you if baby is getting unreasonably large. Those are really the two cases that would stimulate me to earlier sweep/induction.

Stick to your guns :) If it makes it easier to discuss with your consultant, just ask to delay the sweep another week or two instead of flat out rejecting it, if you feel more comfortable with doing it later. That might help prevent her arguing with you... or it might not, every practitioner is a bit different.

Good luck!

i will say i dont want it at 36 weeks it just seems so early and tbh im scared, the consultant is just sooo condescending, like im a child or something, i have at least 2 scans before that so i will have to see how they go but so far its all looking good, thanks for your reply

np! It sounds like your body is telling you 36 weeks is too early, and most of the time our instincts are right on :) Hang in there, and keep us posted!!

It sounds like you've got a lot of information to work with, and that's great. One, kind of funny thing for you. Sweeps only work in 1 out of 5 pregnancies. So there's that? It basically encourages labour if your on the brink. If your early and not naturally going to deliver for weeks (such is your case) it's almost unreasonable to think that a sweep would put you into labour.

It was put this way. A sweep will help you not go overdue. Which means, it helps along labour at the time you are best due anyways. Make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->