Wtt #1

Bb1234

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am brand new at this so please bear with me :)

Anyway on to the point. My SO and I are waiting to try. We both really want kids but want to get married before we start actively trying. Which will probably be 2019 or a little bit later. I am currently on the pill and have been for about 4 years now. With that being said I am not sure when I should come off of birth control before we start trying or what I should be doing leading up to when we ttc. If anyone has any advice, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you have a lot of exciting things going on while you wait!

I wasn't on bc but from my understanding you want to come off 1-3 months before trying. For some women it takes a couple months for your cycle to regulate back to normal and for others it happens right away. Do you remember if your cycles we're regular before going on bc?

One of the most important things you can do is take folic acid (400mg). Its recommended for all women who are in their childbearing years to take, but especially if you're trying. Having the right amount of folic acid helps prevent 75% of Spina Bifida cases in children. Generally speaking, by the time you find out you are pregnant, it is "too late" and the spinal cord has already formed/is closing. Folic acid is what helps this close properly. If you start taking it now, and there was an accidental pregnancy, you would "be covered" in that department.

Otherwise, the best advise I can give is to enjoy your time with your OH before a baby comes. These years are precious and I would fill them with all kinds of adventures. Children are wonderful and amazing but they are hard work. I have a 3 year old and nearly one year old (in just a few days :cry:). I love them dearly and wouldn't change where I am in life. But I am so thankful we waited to have them. There is a lot of sacrifice with kids but I don't feel like I'm missing out because we spent so many years enjoying other stages of life, that now I can fully appreciate this one. I hope that makes sense :)

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you have a lot of exciting things going on while you wait!

I wasn't on bc but from my understanding you want to come off 1-3 months before trying. For some women it takes a couple months for your cycle to regulate back to normal and for others it happens right away. Do you remember if your cycles we're regular before going on bc?

One of the most important things you can do is take folic acid (400mg). Its recommended for all women who are in their childbearing years to take, but especially if you're trying. Having the right amount of folic acid helps prevent 75% of Spina Bifida cases in children. Generally speaking, by the time you find out you are pregnant, it is "too late" and the spinal cord has already formed/is closing. Folic acid is what helps this close properly. If you start taking it now, and there was an accidental pregnancy, you would "be covered" in that department.

Otherwise, the best advise I can give is to enjoy your time with your OH before a baby comes. These years are precious and I would fill them with all kinds of adventures. Children are wonderful and amazing but they are hard work. I have a 3 year old and nearly one year old (in just a few days :cry:). I love them dearly and wouldn't change where I am in life. But I am so thankful we waited to have them. There is a lot of sacrifice with kids but I don't feel like I'm missing out because we spent so many years enjoying other stages of life, that now I can fully appreciate this one. I hope that makes sense :)

Wow thank you so much! My cycles would sometimes be regular but most of the time they weren’t. I could months without a period. I haven’t consulted with my doctor yet. And it makes perfect sense! Great advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->