Xander for a boy? What do you think?

Snufflepop

Reaction score
We are finding it really difficult to come up with a boys name we love. We have loads of girls names but nothing sticks out for a boy except Jacob (which i really don't want to use because its sooo common now) or Xander.

What do you think of the name Xander? Middle name would be Graham after my dad btw.

Thanks guys!

personally dont like it, its very trendy

Jacob is much nicer but im mildly bias as my son is Jake, a nice spin on Jacob that's less common is Jacobi

I agree its wry popular right now and I don't think it's very timeless

Even though Jacob is very popular it's a biblical name so it will never go out of style , and grows with a kid to adult better

I like the name Xander. It is very different and a name is a timeless as the person wearing it. If it sticks out to you keep it on the top of your list!

I don't like Xander. Maybe spelt Zander, but I just don't like X as a first initial. Plus, X isn't pronounced Z to me.

I don't like the name personally. In the US there aren't many people with that name and I have never met someone with that name either. It's not my cup of tea.

I love it, it's on my list of boys names as well. You're always going to get differing opinions- name him what you feel best! <3

I prefer it spelt with a 'Z', Zander looks better in my opinion :)

I would use Alexander on the birth cert and xander for short :) or nickname which ever.
Gives them a choice to have a more formal name when they are older.

I love it! It's on my list of boy names! Only spelled with a Z, because the the middle name starts with an L, and I don't want my kid's initials to be XL... :haha:

Makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That character on the show was named Alexander, but everyone knew him as Xander.

If I were going to use it, I'd probably use Alexander on the birth certificate, but there's nothing wrong with using Xander on the certificate, either.

Xander and Xarson are my fave boy names that start with an x ;)

I like both, Not sure if I like Xander Graham though...Not trying to push a second middle name on you, but I just feel that Xander and Graham need to be broken up a bit....maybe Xander Elias Graham. Other wise I feel like I'm announcing a message like a "telegram" "xandergraham" just my thoughts.:shrug:

Makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That character on the show was named Alexander, but everyone knew him as Xander.

Same for me. No bad thing though - I watched the show as a teenager and loved it!

I would have considered Alexander as a name and used Xander as NN. The X works if you are shortening the name from Alexander, as that is how it is spelt. My cousin is Alexander though so it was never an option.

Had this baby been a boy we were going to use Jacob. Yes, it is popular but we loved it.

Go with a name you both love. Don't settle for something else because other people have used it. Don't worry about spelling if you go for Xander though - it makes sense from the name it comes from and these days people spell names in ridiculous ways imo. No harm is spelling it the way it was originally rather than change it to suit how people read it. :flower:

Interesting how people think you can interchange an X and a Z.

Xander and Zander and completely different names IMO.
(Ex-ander vs Zander)

I like Xavier, but not really a fan of Xander.

(Ex-ander vs Zander)

Maybe it's because I played the xylophone for 13 years, but when a word starts with 'x', I usually pronounce it with a 'z' sound. Or it could also be a regional thing. I've never heard "Ex-ander" before. I have heard Xavier pronounced both as "Ex-avier" and "Zavier" before. To each his own. :D

(Ex-ander vs Zander)

^ I've never heard 'Ex-Ander' either. I've heard Alexander, or Xander/Zander- but never the first! Weird! Do you live in the US? Just wondering if it's a cultural difference in pronunciation or what.

(Ex-ander vs Zander)

^ I've never heard 'Ex-Ander' either. I've heard Alexander, or Xander/Zander- but never the first! Weird! Do you live in the US? Just wondering if it's a cultural difference in pronunciation or what.

i think the point she is making is xander would be pronounced ex-ander like it is in Alexander or like in Xavier

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->