Year out of uni to have a baby

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
I dont know if this is best place for this if nor please move.

I am hoping to start a BA hons course in sept 2012, after this i want to go on and do a PGCE to be a primary school teacher.

Well me and dh are desperate for another baby so concidering having a year out beween the BA hons and the PGCE. Was wondering if anyone had a baby during uni and took a year out

i took a year and a half out. after unexpectedly falling pregnant with lyss.
im ok to chat if you want,im not really sure what kind of info your after hun x

just did you manage financially. How did you find it going back in with a baby. How were the uni about it how did you go about getting the year out ect

well i was already there, so if your taking a break between the end of your course and the beginning of your PGCE those will be totally seperate courses, so it wont be the same- i just went on intermittion through talking to my tutor and my student advisor.

financially- we get 85% of her childcare paid for. so things are tight but manageable. - we do have to be very very careful with our money though.

going back with a baby, its made me more organised, and i work harder, because im not just doing it for myself now, initially i was a 2:2 student, lazy and capable of more, since going back i average high 2:1's and firsts. with a blip last semester of high 2:2's and 2:1;s as i had no fulltime childcare (her nursery closed down) and had to learn from home when i was suposed to be in lectures alot!
personally, i wouldnt plan a baby to then go on to a pgce, i will be doing a pgce next and its going to be a year from hell really. its a 9-5, 5 day a week course, which sounds ok- like a full time job, but there's a lot of paper work etc to do at home aswell, lyss comes first to me, there's nights ive been up all night with her, and still gone in to class, as it was her dad's day off, (i mean literally all night, i hadnt slept at all, not even 5 mins)

sorry if its not what you want to hear hun, the pgce is only one year so i would either put it off until you've had baby number 2 and they're both quite a bit older, or hold off on having baby number 2 until your qualified.

does that help at all?

Yes it does, but it would be 2 years extra as i wanna go from pgce straight into a job.
Ive had nights like that with chloe and done a full day at collage. (my collage in full times, and on top of time there 1/2 again at home)
Its always been the gap we want chloe starting school as having a baby. we could finacially afford to have year to have baby, but not to not go back to uni, i dont think there is any jobs i want to do that i dont need the pgce 1st

i guess it may come down to which matters more to you hun? we've had to say we'll wait until i'm qualified and employed, which is really not what i wanted age gap wise, but we jsut cant afford to do things any other way, if i somehow magically get a job as soon as im qualified, then lyss will still be 5 or 6 before we're even thinking about trying for another.

obv im not doing my pgce yet, but my uni course expects you to do 40 hours a week. admittedly im at a high level uni. but it def rules out having a job along side! do you know where you're looking at studying?

i hope you can figure out some way to make it all work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->