York help!

annanouska

Reaction score
So I've randomly booked a few days in York next week, thought I could take ds to digger land and flamingo land but they are shut :dohh:I was thinking train museum and that's my extent of ideas. I've never been myself, we do drive, son is almost 2 1/2 non verbal and does have additional needs somimworry about going OT the minster he will prob be banished hahaha x

Anyone local or knows the place well who has any tips?mkin dog regretting g booking it so randomly now :dohh:

Fountains Abbey (nr Ripon, not to far). Weather dependant though as it's all outside

Brimham Rocks, same as above.

Check Lightwater Valley, I know they are opening for Xmas/Santa days but not sure when.

I'm just up the road from York and go quite often. The railway museum is great and free entry :thumbup:

I don't think you'd have a problem taking him in the minster, it's always really busy anyway. But just walking around the outside is impressive if you're not keen on going inside.

The Yorkshire museum is good, not sure if it's any good for a 2yr old, but it has some lovely gardens with squirrels, peacocks and pidgeons/ducks to feed.

You can take a boat cruise down the river.

there's some lovely little gift shops in the shambles and round the minster, and definitely go to the fudge kitchen on low petergate - I used to work there - best fudge in the world :)

walk round the walls (but take him in his stroller as at some points there's no hand rail and just a drop on one side!)

i seem to think the york Christmas Market is there on the last weekend in November if you're still there then.

There's a big soft play centre just outside of town called creepy crawlies, that's really good for little ones

further afield you've got the Wensleydale railway which will start doing a Christmas polar express thing where you get to meet santa very shortly.

Monk park farm at Thirsk is a petting zoo (not sure if it's still open) but it's really good.

That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's loads more. York is lovely. :)

I 2nd the fudge kitchen - gorgeous!

My lo loves the railway museum

Yorvik viking centre - go early there's usually a queue to get in (might not be too bad this time of year)

The disney store

There's a swimming pool (waterworld I think its called) at Monks Cross just outside york. It has slides, lazy river and wave pool. I've not been but my brother has taken my nephews a few times and they like it.

Steam railway at Pickering - you'd have to check if there's trains running

Dalby forest - walks, cafe, bike hire, adventure playgrounds

Castle Howard (bout 25 mins drive out of york) - we love it here! We don't bother with the house, just the grounds. You'd need a nice day. Big adventure playground, lakes, fountains, loads of ducks/swans/geese to feed - take bread. Quite a lot of walking round though, don't think the land train runs in winter

Nunnington hall - again you'd need a nice day to explore gardens. Only open weekends in nov I think.

Burton Agnes Hall (near bridlington)

Scarborough (bout an hours drive) - sealife centre (quite expensive, usually vouchers about) beach, amusement arcades, north bay miniature railway open weekends only now

Filey - nice to have a walk round

A lot of places my lo likes visiting are now closed for winter, but if I think of anywhere else I'll let you know.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

I LOVE the fudge kitchen, worth it just to go there.:haha:

Yorkshire air museum at elvington is worth a visit, and eden camp at Malton. NRM is great, and Yorkshire museum.If the weather is good walk the walls. Minster is amazing. There's a lot to do within a short drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->