You want to know how I know that you did a shit job?

Its funny cuz the ppl at the lab where I get routine blood work done, they are excellent at taking my blood. Its when I'm in the hospital that the nurses and blood work techs are horrible at putting an iv in or taking blood. My first pregnancy the nurse didn't put the iv in properly and iI didn't notice cuz I was too busy trying to have a baby but afterwards my arm was puffed up cuz all the fluids went into my arm.
I was recently in the hospital, and a student nurse tried putting in the iv. She managed to do it but once they actually put fluid through it, my arm stung and got all red. Another nurse attempted to put it in a diff spot and couldn't do it either. She called in the anaesthesiolgist to do it and he got it done. Squeezed the crap out of my arm but that was way less painful then needles being dug into my arm.
I'm totally going to be more direct this pregnancy. If they can't do it after two tries, I will tell them to find someone who can. That goes for if it doesn't feel properly put in too. I'm surprised how many ppl don't actually care if its not done right.

I especially have come to hate when they say "your veins are horrible" or "what's wrong with your veins" I seriously may say next time "nothing is wrong with them, you just suck at this"

Its funny cuz the ppl at the lab where I get routine blood work done, they are excellent at taking my blood. Its when I'm in the hospital that the nurses and blood work techs are horrible at putting an iv in or taking blood. My first pregnancy the nurse didn't put the iv in properly and iI didn't notice cuz I was too busy trying to have a baby but afterwards my arm was puffed up cuz all the fluids went into my arm.
I was recently in the hospital, and a student nurse tried putting in the iv. She managed to do it but once they actually put fluid through it, my arm stung and got all red. Another nurse attempted to put it in a diff spot and couldn't do it either. She called in the anaesthesiolgist to do it and he got it done. Squeezed the crap out of my arm but that was way less painful then needles being dug into my arm.
I'm totally going to be more direct this pregnancy. If they can't do it after two tries, I will tell them to find someone who can. That goes for if it doesn't feel properly put in too. I'm surprised how many ppl don't actually care if its not done right.

I especially have come to hate when they say "your veins are horrible" or "what's wrong with your veins" I seriously may say next time "nothing is wrong with them, you just suck at this"

Your arm got all puffed up? D: The several failed attempts sound awful.

If were you, I'd definitely say something the next time someone tried to dig around! :hugs:

Your arm got all puffed up? D: The several failed attempts sound awful.

If were you, I'd definitely say something the next time someone tried to dig around! :hugs:

Lol ya, I was in my room settling down, looked at my arm and said to my husband what the f*** is wrong with my arm? We called the nurse, she said it was from the iv fluids. I was so pissed off. It went away after a day or so but totally shouldn't have happened.

I've had tonnes like that, some much worse and I've noticed its men that always are so rough doing it. So in glad I mainly get a female nurse.
Nothing to be worried about just ice it if it gets sore.

Omg...you poor ladies. I have a very "fat" vein that loooves to stick out so it's pretty easy to get blood BUT just wanted to shared some advice. The bruising could also be from blood pooling after the needle is out. I used to bruise SO badly till a nurse once informed me if I apply pressure and not bend my arm at all....I won't bruise. I've been doing that ever since and don't bruise at all! Not sure if it will help as clearly the nurses have a lot to do with it too but......just something to try. Don't bend it for like at least 2 minutes after!

Omg...you poor ladies. I have a very "fat" vein that loooves to stick out so it's pretty easy to get blood BUT just wanted to shared some advice. The bruising could also be from blood pooling after the needle is out. I used to bruise SO badly till a nurse once informed me if I apply pressure and not bend my arm at all....I won't bruise. I've been doing that ever since and don't bruise at all! Not sure if it will help as clearly the nurses have a lot to do with it too but......just something to try. Don't bend it for like at least 2 minutes after!

This!

I have great veins and get blood drawn easily...but after a couple of times of getting my blood drawn every other day during IVF, I noticed the same thing. The doctors told me to apply lots of pressure on it and just keep my arm relaxed after....also no lifting my handbag with that arm for at least 10 mins to keep blood from pooling like that. I followed instructions and it never happened again!

The nurse definitely sounds like a piece of work tho :growlmad:

I have really small veins and they just seem to disappear...plus I have thick blood (although being on low-dose aspirin when pregnant helps a lot!!!) but one time, I got that massive bruise where they drew the blood...I looked like a junkie!!! Good thing it was in the winter so I could wear long sleeves:growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->