Young and breastfeeding?

Stud_midwife

Reaction score
Hi, I am a student midwife currently studying in Birmingham UK and would love to hear any young mum's experiences/views or anything regarding breastfeeding, even if your chosen method of infant feeding was to bottle feed. This is to help me with an assignment at uni and i would really appreciate any responses.
Many thanks

Nikki x

Can't comment too much...but lately I've become almost OBSESSED with breast feeding (in a non-weird way!).

I had a really awful birth...lost way too much blood, needed ops and transfusions etc. Meant I was unable to even attempt to get LO to latch for the first 2 days (ish), by the time I could, he wouldn't! Tried for hours but it was really distressing. Tried pumping in hosp - no milk. Got home a week later and pumped constantly for around 2 months...there was some milk, my boobs seemed full...but could only ever make at most 2oz a day (that amount was rare!) no matter how much pumping I did.

Today, it still bothers me A LOT that I wasn't 'able' to breastfeed. Feel as though my son hasn't had a good start (although I know this isn't nescesarily true..and would never feel that about another ff mum, it's just how I feel....like I failed, it's so natural...yet I couldn't do it!)

PArt of me feels worse about ff because I'm young. It seems like every group I go to etc, everyone bf...although sure that's not true, and think people always assume young mums wouldn't bf, just don't want to be judged. Also, know it's not true but feel I wasn't encouraged or told about ways to increase milk supply etc, which would have been really useful, only just found out about it! HV told me about a bf group but said I probably wouldn't want to go because I'm young...doesn't make sense! Can't help but think if i'd been older then there maybe would've been more encouragment,or info about pumps etc.

I know lots of people say ff is the easy way out, but honestly I think it's far from the truth, I would give anything to just be able to breastfeed my son.

Sorry this is pretty long, and probably not what you wanted! Good luck with the assignment :)

i love bf Finn, although he hasnt always made it easy, i cant help but feel proud that he lives purely off me. I love it when hes put on loads at the weigh ins and i feel very proud. I love that its giving him the best start in life!

i was 18 when i had my daughter, i breastfed her only until she was nearly 3 months and then just at night and here and there until she was just over 5 months, then she kinda rejected it, was not enough for her liking lol, i now know i probably could have increased my milk supply, but at the time was not aware how to do this and was never shown, the only thing i was shown was how to latch her on properly. im pleased that i was able to do it for the time i did though, and took to it with no problems, i didnt like the way the alot of health visitors, doctors ect. would judge me for being young and assume i was bottle feeding, 'your bottle feeding, yes?' was something i heard alot, but all in all it was something that felt totally natural to me and i would defiately do again in the future :).

I loved BF. I recently stopped BFing my daughter but managed until 8.5 months. I'm so glad i did and really proud of myself for sticking with it. I had a bit of a shaky start but i found a local breastfeeding support group (bibs cafe) and i would not have carried on without it i dont think. I dont feel i was treated any different as a breastfeeding mama cos of my age but i did get asked sometimes if it felt different cos i am younger... To me its the most natural thing in the world i only wish i could have carried on longer and i fully intend to with my next LO, when ever that might be.

Sorry for the ramble hope that helps!!

I'm 18 and I love BF my LO, I always wanted to and my OH felt strongly that I did too. Our LO is almost 3 months now and it's ideal for me, I love the bonding and ease of being able to feed her so simply and quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->