Your Newborn Cloth Stash?

oedipamass

Reaction score
I am almost 37 weeks and trying to figure out what I need to add to my newborn stash (if anything).

I have a dozen GMD Newborn prefolds, some Bummis and Thristies covers, and a couple previously loved Fuzzibuns smalls. I am considering investing in a couple fancier Lil Joeys for ease-of-use and photos, etc.

What are you planning on using for your CD Newborn stash?

I think fitteds are the easiest to use reliably on newborns. Flats are good too but a bit more fiddly (not too difficult if you want to use them, but not as easy as fitteds). We had a variety of AIOs like Lil Joeys, Teenyfits etc, a couple of flats, some AI2s etc, but I always found myself going for the fitteds and bought more of them very quickly. I would aim for maybe 24 nappies if you're happy to wash them every day and they won't take too long to dry, so I'd get more than you have right now, and more than 24 if you won't be washing every day or they take a while to dry.

If you want to stick with flats I'd get normal baby sized ones rather than more newborns. They might be a bit bulky on a newborn but they will still work. I honestly couldn't get a newborn prefold anywhere near my LO who was only 7lb4oz at birth and definitely still less than 8lbs when I tried them out on her! I was using a nippa - I could have trifolded but containment wouldn't have been great that way so I didn't.

By all means get a few cute AIOs but I wouldn't get too many. We used them for the first 5 days maybe, when LO was pooing every 3 seconds, but after that they weren't absorbent enough. I kept them as backup in the changing bag for maybe 6 weeks but they were rarely used after the first week or two. I was glad to have a Lil Joey to hand when I was putting LO's first nappy on though - she was on my lap while I half reclined on a hospital bed. An AIO was all I could manage and the first pics are great :)

I was glad to have a Lil Joey to hand when I was putting LO's first nappy on though - she was on my lap while I half reclined on a hospital bed. An AIO was all I could manage and the first pics are great :)

Would you say the Lil Joeys are the best newborn AIO's?

Confession time: I bought 4 Lil Joeys and 3 BumGenius Newborns today. All preloved and good deals, so I don't feel too bad.

I made the bulk of my DD2s stash. 12 AI2s and 8 fitteds. The bought Nappies I bulked my stash up with were all AIOs and pockets and we've had no issues. A few leaks from the bought Nappies that were loose around her chicken legs and a couple of leaks when ill times naps had her wearing a nappy for 4 hours.

I liked our Lil Joeys and I found them more absorbent than BG Newborns and I liked the inner gusset, but I wouldn't really describe any nappy as the best :) It depends on so many factors, but I do think they're a good place to start for the first few days. They tend to have a good resale value too.

I am a little concerned that the Bum Geniuses will rub on the umbilical cord but looking at them I don't see why one couldn't just fold them down a bit in the front and still velcro them. Never heard anyone mention that though, so maybe it's impossible.

The BGs are supposed to sit underneath the cord IIRC. They look higher rise than the Lil Joeys but we did find they sat low enough.

I bought 4 Lil Joey's and 3 Bum Genius XS's.

I am considering getting a Newborn Simplex to see what all the fuss is about. Ugh cloth diaper acquisition is so addictive when you are sitting around super pregnant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->