Your view on circumcision.

A friend asked the other day why we have a bris (circumcision). I rambled on about health, tradition, old people, eight days, pain and a whole lot of other nonsense before leaving this one to you.

Answer:

The bris is a physical symbol of the relationship between G‑d and the Jewish people. It is a constant reminder of what the Jewish mission entails (a reminder which men need more than women). Let’s look at its details:

If circumcision is what G‑d wants, why aren’t we born circumcised? G‑d created the world imperfect, and gave us the mission to perfect it. G‑d created wheat; humans make bread. G‑d created a jungle; humans create civilization. The raw materials are given to us, and we are to use our ingenuity to improve on the world that we were born into. This is symbolized by the bris—we are born uncircumcised, and it is up to us to “finish the job.” This is also true metaphorically. We each have instincts and natural tendencies that are inborn, but need to be refined. “I was born that way” does not excuse immoral behavior: we are to cut away any negative traits, no matter how innate they may seem.

Why on earth would G‑d choose circumcision to represent something sacred? Jewish spirituality is about making the physical world holy. The way we eat, sleep, work and procreate should be imbued with the same holiness as the way we pray; our homes should be as sanctified as our synagogues. We find G‑d on earth just as much (and perhaps more) than in the heavens. So we put a sign on the most physical and potentially lowly organ, to say that it can and should be used in a holy way. In fact, it is in sexuality that we can touch the deepest part of our soul—when we approach it with holiness.

Why circumcise a baby? Wouldn’t the statement be more powerful if it were made by a mature adult? The circumcision is performed when a child is still not aware of what is happening. This is because the Jewish connection to G‑d is intrinsic: whether our minds believe in G‑d or not, whether our hearts love G‑d or not, our souls know G‑d. We can join the covenant with G‑d even without being consciously aware of Him, because subconsciously we already know Him.

Why specifically on the eighth day? The number seven represents nature—seven days of the week, seven colors of the rainbow, seven musical notes (do re mi, etc.); the number eight is the number that surpasses seven, and thus represents the miraculous, what is beyond nature. We do the bris on the eighth day because the Jewish people survive on miracles. Our history defies the laws of nature. We welcome a new Jewish child into this miraculous existence on the eighth day of his life, as if to say, “Expect miracles!”

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/160989/jewish/Why-Do-We-Have-a-Circumcision.htm

when i was first thinking about having children, my hubby and I discussed the issue of circumcision, he was dead set against it, i was leaning towards the yes camp. I had read the research, and read that circumcision was beneficial in that it may help decrease the transfer of some STD's and the risk of cancer may be decreased. And then i did more research, and came to the conclusion that as i don't have a religious need to get it done then i have no right to modify the body of my newborn son without his consent. For what? looks? because *i* prefer the look on a circumcised penis gives me no rights to make him go through a medical procedure. And as to the risks? well teaching him about safe sex and how to clean his penis is far more effective in preventing disease than removing a part of his body. Now i am firmly and happily in the not unless medically needed camp,

After reading more of the posts since i first responded on this thread, I was wondering why a religious belief to have it done is more valued than any other belief to have it done according to a lot of responses on here.

If someone says they believe it looks nicer and will lead to less bullying, they get slammed for it but someone who says they do it for religious reasons is not slammed. I am curious and wondered what other people think as to why doing it due to religious beliefs is considered a valid reason to circumcise but any other reason, despite how much someone believes in it, is not. It's all just beliefs and opinions isn't it?

(Genuinely curious not stirring just in case anyone thinks that way!!!)

Personally i don't think its a valid reason. But im not religious. So therefore my thinking is from a person who is outside a faith looking in. If i truly believed that my sons spiritual needs or medical needs dictate a circumcision my veiwpoint would be vastly different. I would do it in a heartbeat.

And to "slam" a cornerstone of someone's faith would go against my personal code. To each their own. Who am i judge you and your relationship with god.

I can tell you I did NOT circumcise my 3 boys ages now 21 18 and 12 for cosmetic reasons. I did it because that is what i was told was the best thing for them, a lot has changed since 1991 1994 and 2000 when my boys were born. Would I do it now I don't know, but back then I was told it was cleaner and safer, so for me I was NOT mutilating my sons or bringing harm upon them, that is ridiculous. I know for most on here it is not the norm just like for some of us ( Americans) most on here norm's are not our way, but don't judge and say comments that are not true, just disagree . I was 21 23 and 29 when I had my sons and back then the medical advice was to circumcise and we or I took that advice . I will say a lot of people today do not circumcise and some do, but I would not hold that against them, they are the parents and they make the best choice for their child. I don't mind at all that most disagree with it or debate if it is necessary, it pisses me off though when some ( Not all) make comments of harming our kids or mutilating them :wacko: I find it offensive and unnecessary and down right mean.. I have been a mother for 21 yrs and I protect my sons from everything, I would never ever harm them, so hearing that hurts. JMO :flower:

If we have a son he wont be circumcised but if others choose to its not my business and i dont judge them for it.

We circumcised for religious reasons but it was honestly the most difficult thing I had to see my 7 day old go through. He seemed okay with it, TBH but I wasn't!

After reading more of the posts since i first responded on this thread, I was wondering why a religious belief to have it done is more valued than any other belief to have it done according to a lot of responses on here.

If someone says they believe it looks nicer and will lead to less bullying, they get slammed for it but someone who says they do it for religious reasons is not slammed. I am curious and wondered what other people think as to why doing it due to religious beliefs is considered a valid reason to circumcise but any other reason, despite how much someone believes in it, is not. It's all just beliefs and opinions isn't it?

(Genuinely curious not stirring just in case anyone thinks that way!!!)

Personally i don't think its a valid reason. But im not religious. So therefore my thinking is from a person who is outside a faith looking in. If i truly believed that my sons spiritual needs or medical needs dictate a circumcision my veiwpoint would be vastly different. I would do it in a heartbeat.

And to "slam" a cornerstone of someone's faith would go against my personal code. To each their own. Who am i judge you and your relationship with god.

Agreed.

Faith to me is also not a valid reason to do it to your child. But then I'm not of any religion so my views on circumcision are exactly the same as before, religious reason or not.

We circumcised for religious reasons but it was honestly the most difficult thing I had to see my 7 day old go through. He seemed okay with it, TBH but I wasn't!

This makes me sad, if you weren't okay with it.

I'd never get my son circumcised, unless there was a genuine, valid medical necessity for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->