Your view on circumcision.

my point is though, it seems quite a rare thing to have foreskin problems (I would research but its 3am here so maybe tomorrow) so lots of $36 might be more than the occassional $75. No sure I am making sense?

Of course it is "if". But saying they're advocating for that piddly amout of money is ridiculous. The whole American health system is ridiculous.

It is but the procedure does cost upwards of $400 (pre insurance coverage) and many state welfare insurances no longer cover circ. And that was of recently, so something changed their minds to just stop covering it. Surely that has to indicate something.

nonetheless, it's irrelevant. If parents want it done, they'll get it done. If they dont, they wont.

I do have to admit though, doctors are not always as as greed free as we would like to think they are...it is a business first and foremost, for as shitty as that is. Im also not sure if it's mere coincidence that currently infant circ is at the lowest level in US post circ history and now all of a sudden the American Peds are speaking up.

I work in a family medicine office and we see peds. I like the doctors I work for, but you're right, for one of them it is mainly about money. Unfortunately that's America. Capitalism rules. It makes me very sad.

For the vast majority of boys those foreskin issues would never arise so they probably would make more money selling the foreskins (if that is their reason for advocating for circumcision) but I think the more obvious reason to believe its not necessary is the fact that most men in the world aren't circumcised, most countries in the world don't routinely recommend it, and most of the world isn't suffering from foreskin problems.

I wouldn't do it, I strongly believe that its meant to be there for a reason and had we not meant to have it we would have evolved to not have them. My OH isn't and agrees with me. I don't think in the majority of cases it's necessary, would only agree to it if there was a medical reason.

I would never circumcise my son. Foreskin is there for a reason and it is not my choice to decide to cut a part of him off :nope:

My nephew wasn't circumcised as a baby and he had issues. Poor kid had to get it done at age 5.

I think there might actually be more foreskin issues in uncircumcised boys in the US because it seems the parents aren't being told how to properly care for it (i.e. not retract it before it does so by itself). Of course not all parents are being given the wrong information but I've seen quite a few times on here and on other websites that parents think they are supposed to retract the infant's foreskin to clean it properly - I reckon that might cause some of the problems.

That said, I'm pretty sure my OH needs to be circumcised but I have no idea how to bring that up in conversation with him! :blush:

I have seen so many saying to retract its not funny. I think maybe they have been told that as it can cause problems and end in a circ. Here its simple "leave it alone" is what your told. You clean everything in the bath but you dont mess with it. I dont understand why some cant work out you have to clean it? as a female I clean myself in the shower, even down there and assume men do the same. Its just hygiene.

Why would I want to mutiliate the genitals of my newborn baby boy?

I want nothing to do with any religion that tells me I have to, nor do I have much patience for the feeble arguments constantly brought forward about "hygiene".

My nephew wasn't circumcised as a baby and he had issues. Poor kid had to get it done at age 5.

Unfortunately though that's just one of those things. We don't remove the appendix at birth just incase it bursts further down the line because its not necessary.

It's such a cultural thing. It used to be very common here in Canada... it's just what people did. It is becoming less common now as many hospitals refuse to do it unless it is medically necessary. I personally wouldn't do it now... Just can't imagine putting my child through pain for a cosmetic reason.

I'm hoping by the time we have another baby all hospitals will refuse to do it unless medically necessary! Would make my life a lot easier if we have a boy.

I'm hoping by the time we have another baby all hospitals will refuse to do it unless medically necessary! Would make my life a lot easier if we have a boy.

(Not trying to be rude) But why would it be easier? Hospitals don't make you have it done and you just say no when they ask you? :shrug:

Of course it is "if". But saying they're advocating for that piddly amout of money is ridiculous. The whole American health system is ridiculous.

I read it as the $36 is what is paid by the hospital for the foreskin, not what is paid for the procedure.

It's certainly not something I would do out of choice, its not my body so I really don't see it as my right to take away parts or even add things to it (the reason I wouldn't have my child's ears pierced)

(Not trying to be rude) But why would it be easier? Hospitals don't make you have it done and you just say no when they ask you? :shrug:

I posted earlier in the thread about how my OH and I have had many disagreements on the subject and if we do have a boy we'll probably just fight about it the whole pregnancy.

Hence why it would be easier if there was no choice to be made.

My DB was circumcised I think as a baby, personally I don't care. Seeing as he has medical problems.

I posted earlier in the thread about how my OH and I have had many disagreements on the subject and if we do have a boy we'll probably just fight about it the whole pregnancy.

Hence why it would be easier if there was no choice to be made.

Ah gotcha, I didn't see the post. I can imagine it would be easier then. :haha:

Coming from the UK where circumcision just isn't done other than for religious reasons, I have to say that I find it so strange to think that in the US (and some other places) it's the norm. It's just unimaginable to me.

I'm going to put religious reasons to one side as I can't argue something I know nothing about. But unless it's for religious reasons, I must say that I just can't see why you'd do it:

1) It's cleaner and healthier - if this was the case, then surely countries like the UK who DON'T circumcise as standard must have thousands of cases of willy-related problems left, right and centre? And I'm pretty sure this isn't true! Willies are willies - keep them clean and chances are everything will be fine. And if not, then deal with it at the time. Don't cut it off at birth "just in case!" (which leads me to my next point..)

2) It's done as a preventative measure - ??!! So a newborn baby has it's foreskin cut off because he MAY have a problem with it at some stage in later life? Why stop at foreskins - why not remove tonsils/appendices at birth as well? The fact is that most uncircumcised men never have any problem - just educate people how to look after them properly (i.e. DO NOT RETRACT THE FORESKIN BEFORE IT IS READY).

But I know it's easy for me to say this because I come from a country where my friends would think I'm totally mental if I circumcised my son. If it is the norm to have it done, and you're always told that it's the right thing to do, that it's cleaner/healthier etc etc then I do see that people just follow what's normal.

I wouldn't circ. It is not a common practise here anyway but my reason is this. It is not my body, it is my childs and unless there is a medical benefit, i won't mess with it. I wouldn't ear pierce without her permission etc.

However, i hold nothing against those who do.

I am curious however, many circ because it is important to their religion, i am interested into why it is important to different religions etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->