yuk - totally disgusting!

sheebee

Reaction score
Maggots in the wheelie bin, and a load of them too! Help!!

How do I even start to sort this out. Bins don't get collected until Tuesday, that's 5 more days with the bin filling up. I'm assuming the smell of nappies have attracted flies?

They're all over the inside of the lid and down the inside and there are some on the outside too.

Totally vommie!

Close the lid until its emptied and then give it a hose down

In the really hot summer months everyone in my area got maggots in their bin (heave!) because the work men blocked off the road while they dug it up, the bin men decided not to come and get any of the bins and leave us with full bins -.- and in the 25 degree heat it was disgusting!!

I used some Jeyes fluid to stop the smell, and kept the lid closed, then once they emptied it I had a local bin cleaner clean it out and then I used Jeyes fluid again afterwards. Haven't had a problem since.

Thanks guys. Lid is always down. Its so disgusting! Can't wait for bin the be emptied and I can give it a bleach down (vom).

I've had this problem today as well! I went out to put a bag in the black bin and (only after I had touched the bin and opened it up) noticed loads of teeny white maggots all over the sides. Ewwww I had to run back inside to stop myself screaming but the bin is now open and I'm too scared to go back out and shut it. So gross.

I've never had this problem before. Luckily the bins are collected tomorrow morning but I'm worried the bin men won't touch it because it's covered. I'm waiting for OH to come home from work and sort it out because I'm not going anywhere near it. I've read online to spray bleach over it to get rid of them? I'm going to be more careful in future.. double bag all my rubbish and tie it really tight, clean out the bin every so often and keep the lid firmly shut. xx

I've had this problem today as well! I went out to put a bag in the black bin and (only after I had touched the bin and opened it up) noticed loads of teeny white maggots all over the sides. Ewwww I had to run back inside to stop myself screaming but the bin is now open and I'm too scared to go back out and shut it. So gross.

I've never had this problem before. Luckily the bins are collected tomorrow morning but I'm worried the bin men won't touch it because it's covered. I'm waiting for OH to come home from work and sort it out because I'm not going anywhere near it. I've read online to spray bleach over it to get rid of them? I'm going to be more careful in future.. double bag all my rubbish and tie it really tight, clean out the bin every so often and keep the lid firmly shut. xx

it's really horrible isn't it. Honestly it looked like hundreds of them.

Yep I think bleach is the way forward, I'm just worried about the bin men when they empty it? Don't want them to get covered in dead maggoty bleach! I hate that I have to wait till Tuesday before I can clean it. X

Oh eww! I really get creeped out with maggots. :sick::shock:

Maybe spray them with water or Raid?

Pour boiling water over the outside of the bin and get rid of any on the outside, the bin men are quite used to maggots in the bins now so don't worry about any on the inside. Once it's empty hose it down, any antibacterial cleaner will do the job on the inside. The thing I found helped is buying the HUGE wheelie bin liners from the supermarket, you don't end up with "stuff" collecting at the bottom of the bin and attracting the flies in. Unfortunately there's not a lot else you can do, just remember maggots aren't dirty and don't carry disease they just don't look very pretty!!

They creep me out too, I'm normally ok with creepy crawly things but I can't handle these maggot, I think it's because there are SO many of them. I *might* let my husband deal with them!!

Pour boiling water over the outside of the bin and get rid of any on the outside, the bin men are quite used to maggots in the bins now so don't worry about any on the inside. Once it's empty hose it down, any antibacterial cleaner will do the job on the inside. The thing I found helped is buying the HUGE wheelie bin liners from the supermarket, you don't end up with "stuff" collecting at the bottom of the bin and attracting the flies in. Unfortunately there's not a lot else you can do, just remember maggots aren't dirty and don't carry disease they just don't look very pretty!!

Super advice, thanks so much. I'll get on the boiling water this evening.

And I hadn't thought of massive liners before, I hate all the bin juice that collects at the end so these will be great! X

It rained earlier and now they seemed to have hidden away so I put some diluted loo bleach in an empty cleaning spray and went out and squirted all the outside and on the lid etc. so hopefully that will sort it out :/ They creep me out too, how they are baby flies eurgh. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->