Zika Concerns?

Fadetoblack

Reaction score
Is anyone concerned about the zika virus in the United States? We are looking to start trying for baby number 2 in November. We live in NEW York. We heard zika could make it here by summer time. We don't know what to do?

There are two ways I know of to acquire Zika. 1. Mosquito bites 2. Sex with a previously infected person, either a woman infected very recently or a man infected within I think 6 months-ish. (it hangs out in semen, apparently)

The mosquitoes that carry Zika haven't spread to the US yet. Although I wouldn't discount the virus spreading via mosquito bites if you get bitten by one that bit an infected person, the odds of this happening are extremely low. Unless you or your husband engages in extra-marital sex, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on travelling south of the border.

If you're still concerned, consult a doctor for advice.

EDIT: I'd also point out that, as a Canadian, I'm definitely not worried. The mosquitoes that carry Zika couldn't survive the weather here anyways. New York is close enough to the border that you might have the same protection, but I can't be sure.

EDIT 2: Eeeesh, looks like my info was outdated, and only learned that this afternoon. I guess you might be right to be concerned, so I'd suggest asking a professional about what to do.

The CDC keeps current information regarding the Zika virus. Taking a quick look at it showed that there has been no known Zika virus to be acquired in the US. All US cases (not including the US territories) have been acquired due to travel or sexual transmission. Also, Zika virus does not travel through every type of mosquito.

Like the previous poster suggested, if you have concerns consult your doctor.

Depending on where you live in NY and how prevalent mosquitos are in that area, I would do the best you can to minimize mosquito attractions (e.g., get rid of standing water on your property) and possibly implement some non-deet repellents such as lemon eucalyptus oil. So some reasonable precautions (as mosquitos carry tons of other diseases), but nothing crazy. Since you are not trying to ttc until November, you will know by the time you start how hard Zika is hitting certain areas.

To be honest, it is a real concern for most of the United States. I'm not sure about New York, but the mosquito that transmits the virus can live pretty far north... so any state where people have brought the virus back to will probably become an infected area. I hope I'm wrong and it doesn't end up being a big deal. But it does make me nervous.

In all honesty I am not concerned about ZIKA one bit. We travel to Mexico about twice a year and we just got back about a month ago. We didn't encounter a single mosquito. Not one! And we were in the Riviera Maya. We even asked the staff about it and they said it really isn't as bad as everyone else is making it out to be. I honestly think the media is blowing it way out of proportion (just like everything else)

In all honesty I am not concerned about ZIKA one bit. We travel to Mexico about twice a year and we just got back about a month ago. We didn't encounter a single mosquito. Not one! And we were in the Riviera Maya. We even asked the staff about it and they said it really isn't as bad as everyone else is making it out to be. I honestly think the media is blowing it way out of proportion (just like everything else)

I think the media is going too crazy over it too. That said, DH and I decided to stop NFP/NTNP due to upcoming travel plans. I didn't want the stress of worrying about getting a mosquito bite.

I'm interested to see what happens in the US as the summer comes along. I live in the north so I'm not too worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->