How did you recover after your c section?

mummyApril

2 daughters and a son
Reaction score
I was just wondering how all of you felt after your c section and did you enjoy the whole experience etc?
Me? well i had my second c section 6 months ago and although it was quite calm during the operation and the first few days in hospital were fab at home my recovery was awful (i have 2 older children to look after aswell) had so many pains/complications etc, aswell as anxiety! now 6 months on i think i might finally be getting there apart from every month when i get severe period pains! bah lol
Had my first section 10 years ago, one natural 6 years ago and another section, both sections due to breech, just wondering how you all are getting on and would you do it again? :flower:

I had my section almost three years ago. I may need another one due to this little one sitting breech as well. My first recovery was hard, but it was what I expected.

I was really hoping for a v-bac this time because of my older daughter. I get so upset at the fact that I won't be able to pick her up or play like we normally do for a few weeks. If I only had the baby to take care of, it would not be that bad.

Hoping this little one turns!

I had my C section 9 weeks ago and recovery was difficult for me only because I ran out of pain meds after a week and the dr. wouldn't give me another Rx, so I just had to endure the pain with prayer and Tylenol. Now I feel almost like my old self again, just the occasional tender spot when my LO accidentally kicks me. I'm still not sure if I would do it again though if I had an option - I hate feeling helpless and I hated that the pain meds made me drowsy and I couldn't really bond as well to my Lo as I would've liked to during the first week.

I felt my recovery wasn't that bad. I had my mom to help out for the first week, and lots of pain meds. The worst was getting out of the hospital bed the first time. After that, pain gradually subsided. If I have another lo, I won't have a choice about doing another section, but this time, I'll feel rested (not being in labor all night,) and be able to put on makeup for pictures. :haha:

My first was bad and good. I had major complications unrelated to the c-section. I had a very large baby (9lbs 10oz) and my uterus would not contract, and I nearly bled to death. Then (well, I guess this is related to the section, but could have happened with an epidural) I got a spinal headache...which was the worst headached I have ever had (think migraine times 100). The anesthesiologist tried to patch it...and he couldn't because of swelling in my back. Anyways, I was in ALOT of pain (my head) and was very anemic from the bleed. Then I got a uterus infection!! That actually wasn't a super big deal..just some antibiotics, but just on top of everything else, it was BAD. Then...if things couldn't get worse, I got shingles. LOL...sounds almost comedic now. But, despite all these complications...three weeks after my section I swam 1km at the pool. :)

My second section was fine. I went into labour again. Things went very quickly. But, the worst was I have a previous back injury (fractured back and 3 herniated lumbar discs) that they couldn't put the spinal in, and I had to have a general for her birth. She had breathing issues from being early, but I was discharged two day later and was shopping 3 days after giving birth. :)

My last section was my first scheduled one. It was like going to the dentist for a filling. I went in on the day, I got my room, changed, IV...then I was taken to the operating room. They put the spinal in (which was tense because the time before they couldn't but no problems this time). That was that. Next thing you know...she is out. I am crying with love. They hand her to me...I got to hold her the whole time (I did with my son too). It was lovely. I had her with me the ENTIRE time. I asked to stay in the full four days....and that was nice. I went shopping I think a week after I gave birth.

My recovery was pretty good, it took a day before I could get out of the hospital bed due to my magnesium drip for the pre-e. But once I got out and walking a little I started to feel pretty good and felt great after that first shower. I didn't like not being able to get LO out of the bassinet by myself but luckily my DH, Mom and two older sisters were there to hand him to me.

Mines was 9 years ago - stitches broke ended up bleeding quite a lot. So i guess not the best of recoverys. Wouldnt like to go through it again at all. Most important thing to remember after c section is get as much help organised as you can as you do need to take it easy after wards.

I had an EMCS, but they did a vertical incision from belly button down to pubic bone. Because of the type of incision, I was told to expect a more difficult recovery, but honestly it was a breeze. I did loose alot of blood, enough to need a transfusion, but I refused (I'm a nurse so knew risks etc), and I also had a few other issues as it was a long traumatic labor. I didn't need any pain meds after day 1, but then again I have a very high pain threshold. OH didn't help me with the baby when we got home, but I managed to do everything without too much of a struggle. However my wound hasn't healed still after 5 months - half of it is still open as I have a collection of fluid, but its not infected. I plan on having a c section again for my next one

With my first c-section I recovered really well, everything was planned and I think that's what made it a for want of a better word 'relaxing' for me.

My 2nd c-section was alot more rushed !!
I was in labour for 12 hours, I was 1 cm the whole time and my little man was starting to get really annoyed so I had to be rushed down for a EMCS :(
it also took me a little longer to recover with my second !! xx

I had my section almost three years ago. I may need another one due to this little one sitting breech as well. My first recovery was hard, but it was what I expected.

I was really hoping for a v-bac this time because of my older daughter. I get so upset at the fact that I won't be able to pick her up or play like we normally do for a few weeks. If I only had the baby to take care of, it would not be that bad.

Hoping this little one turns!

have you looked at the different ways that you can get them to (try) and turn naturally? i really hope baby turns for you how long have you got? :hugs:

I had my C section 9 weeks ago and recovery was difficult for me only because I ran out of pain meds after a week and the dr. wouldn't give me another Rx, so I just had to endure the pain with prayer and Tylenol. Now I feel almost like my old self again, just the occasional tender spot when my LO accidentally kicks me. I'm still not sure if I would do it again though if I had an option - I hate feeling helpless and I hated that the pain meds made me drowsy and I couldn't really bond as well to my Lo as I would've liked to during the first week.

wow i cant believe they didnt give you anymore pain meds , im sorry you had to deal with that pain, i had meds for 3 weeks! (more if i wanted) the helplessness was also the hardest for me too :hugs:

I felt my recovery wasn't that bad. I had my mom to help out for the first week, and lots of pain meds. The worst was getting out of the hospital bed the first time. After that, pain gradually subsided. If I have another lo, I won't have a choice about doing another section, but this time, I'll feel rested (not being in labor all night,) and be able to put on makeup for pictures. :haha:

is there reason why you cant have a vbac? id be exhausted doing all those contractions and then to have a c sec! when i got out of the hosp bed this time i said to the midwife 'oooh i remember this now' :haha: but it was better than the first time

My first was bad and good. I had major complications unrelated to the c-section. I had a very large baby (9lbs 10oz) and my uterus would not contract, and I nearly bled to death. Then (well, I guess this is related to the section, but could have happened with an epidural) I got a spinal headache...which was the worst headached I have ever had (think migraine times 100). The anesthesiologist tried to patch it...and he couldn't because of swelling in my back. Anyways, I was in ALOT of pain (my head) and was very anemic from the bleed. Then I got a uterus infection!! That actually wasn't a super big deal..just some antibiotics, but just on top of everything else, it was BAD. Then...if things couldn't get worse, I got shingles. LOL...sounds almost comedic now. But, despite all these complications...three weeks after my section I swam 1km at the pool. :)

My second section was fine. I went into labour again. Things went very quickly. But, the worst was I have a previous back injury (fractured back and 3 herniated lumbar discs) that they couldn't put the spinal in, and I had to have a general for her birth. She had breathing issues from being early, but I was discharged two day later and was shopping 3 days after giving birth. :)

My last section was my first scheduled one. It was like going to the dentist for a filling. I went in on the day, I got my room, changed, IV...then I was taken to the operating room. They put the spinal in (which was tense because the time before they couldn't but no problems this time). That was that. Next thing you know...she is out. I am crying with love. They hand her to me...I got to hold her the whole time (I did with my son too). It was lovely. I had her with me the ENTIRE time. I asked to stay in the full four days....and that was nice. I went shopping I think a week after I gave birth.

wow :shock: that is a lot to deal with especially with a first baby when everything is new! swimming 1km 3 weeks after is amazing well done!!!
sorry you had such a hard time but got there in the end with the last one hey :)

My recovery was pretty good, it took a day before I could get out of the hospital bed due to my magnesium drip for the pre-e. But once I got out and walking a little I started to feel pretty good and felt great after that first shower. I didn't like not being able to get LO out of the bassinet by myself but luckily my DH, Mom and two older sisters were there to hand him to me.

that first shower is amazing isnt it :haha:

Mines was 9 years ago - stitches broke ended up bleeding quite a lot. So i guess not the best of recoverys. Wouldnt like to go through it again at all. Most important thing to remember after c section is get as much help organised as you can as you do need to take it easy after wards.

im sorry you had a bad experience :hugs:

I had an EMCS, but they did a vertical incision from belly button down to pubic bone. Because of the type of incision, I was told to expect a more difficult recovery, but honestly it was a breeze. I did loose alot of blood, enough to need a transfusion, but I refused (I'm a nurse so knew risks etc), and I also had a few other issues as it was a long traumatic labor. I didn't need any pain meds after day 1, but then again I have a very high pain threshold. OH didn't help me with the baby when we got home, but I managed to do everything without too much of a struggle. However my wound hasn't healed still after 5 months - half of it is still open as I have a collection of fluid, but its not infected. I plan on having a c section again for my next one

oh ouch! why did they do a vertical incision? i hope you heal soon!

With my first c-section I recovered really well, everything was planned and I think that's what made it a for want of a better word 'relaxing' for me.

My 2nd c-section was alot more rushed !!
I was in labour for 12 hours, I was 1 cm the whole time and my little man was starting to get really annoyed so I had to be rushed down for a EMCS :(
it also took me a little longer to recover with my second !! xx

oh im sorry :hugs: maybe because of an EMCS as its more rushed maybe takes longer to recover? it took me less time to recover from my first which was planned :)

although my actual section wasn't the best experience i had a really good recovery, i even got married 12 days after and was completely fine! x

although my actual section wasn't the best experience i had a really good recovery, i even got married 12 days after and was completely fine! x

wow! thats impressive!

I am fairly happy with how my section went. It was planned, and I was very nervous about it, but it was not as bad as I had built up in my head! The op was fine, but took my breath away as they had to use forceps to get him out.. he was stuck high up! I had been most nervous about the spinal, the catheter and the recovery. I didn't feel the spinal or the catheter and I feel almost back to normal 3 weeks after the op... and was doing most normal things after a week. All in all, I would do it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->