£100 worse off if I Work! How does that work then!

emzky90

Reaction score
So, been into work today to arrange returning back. Worked out that I were going to go back doing 16hrs a week 9am-1pm Mon-Thurs which would be brill. I'd come out with around £400 a month which would be fine. However once my childcare costs come off and the cost of petrol (we only have one car so i'd be taking OH to work and DD to childcare then I only end up with £130!!!!!!! So if I was to SAH then i'd get around £270 ish in tax credits. What are you ladies doing?

I've not got any personal experience (I'm still TTC) but I had a thought.. hope you don't mind! If you worked then you should still be entitled to some help from tax credits and some help with your childcare, depending on the level of your income, no?

:flower: Hope you work it out!

Well it's a family member that would be looking aftr her. Don't like the idea of putting her in a nursery so thats a family members rate which is sooooo cheap in comparison.

I was in the same position. I assumed we would get childcare help but my income would have taken us over the threshold. So on take home pay of around £230 a week I would have to pay £175 in nursery fees and my 11 year old DD would have been left alone in summer holidays as I couldn't afford care for her.
Seems madness to me that we get tax credits if I stay at home but are actually worse off financially if I make the effort to go to work.
I'm now working nights once or twice a month so I'm bringing money in and not paying out.
Not sure what the answer is. I'm due another LO in 6 months and there's no way on earth I can afford to go back to work until they are 3 years old. Am spending my time aiming for a degree so I can hopefully go back to work on a decent wage and not rely on credits at all. Or I feel we'll always be stuck in the trap of never being able to better ourselves.

I can't add any advice but I've read a few times about people being better off not going back to work and it makes me think no wonder there are so many people out there who would rather stay on benefits.. Either raise the minimum wage or tweak the benefits system that's what I say.

I am only TTC but worked out that I'd be working for about £70/week after childcare and travel was deducted - and I am on well above the average income! I work in a high stress, long hours role which I don't know if I would want to continue after we have a child. But if I went back to my old job, it would mean at least a 30% pay cut so we'd then be losing money with me at work. It's crazy. :nope:

Right now DH and I are trying to live on just one wage to see how we manage. Very difficult in London, I think one of us will end up freelancing from home. We're both in technical fields, so it's at least possible. But honestly, I don't know how people cope! :shrug:

it sounds awful, but this is why im not working.. (commission only cold calling instead)
the amount of tax credits i get along with my full time working partner, would be the same as if i was working.

- so im studying to be a teacher while having time off with my girl.
(saying that, i have zero money to scratch my bum with as it all goes on bills! its not like im living the life of luxury)
:hugs: xx

OH works part time & is worse off by 40pound a month.
It's a complete & utter joke if you ask me

I do think its a joke.

I will be going back part time as I couldnt afford to go back full time due to child care etc :(

Agree with Twister it seems so silly that so many people are better off NOT working than being on the benefit!

Do your sums inc working tax credit?

It is so silly that you're better off on benefits these days. I don't know how people are expected to survive sometimes!
I really feel for people who really want to get out there and work, but can't because of childcare costs! It's so sad :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->