♡ January Snowdrops 2019 ♡

Yeah best to get checked as you know your body best, was just throwing another reason why out there:)

Yeah best to get checked as you know your body best, was just throwing another reason why out there:)

It's okay I get it, it's just something that's really been bothering me.

I have my shot again today, hopefully they have my thyroid results in. I really need some answers. I did cheat yesterday though and feel super guilty about it. I ate muffins & peach pie :(.

Hmm kiwi i'd have to agree 45 is a fair amount, but i also agtee you may be retsining fluid. It would be very hard to gain that much weight without actively trying. I hope your doctor can give you some insight!

How's everyone doing? I'm also struggling a bit with weight. I really didn't want to go above 30lbs or so but I'm already up 19lbs :dohh: I don't want the weight loss struggle i've had after both my other pregnancies but evidently i have no self control. It's also extremely difficult when you simply can't force "good foods" on yourself because they all sound repulsive! And if you space meals out too much you get sick :roll:

In other news hurricane Florence flooded our basement -.- I reeeaaally hope we don't have any residual mold issues. Insurance won't cover anything so we're doing our best with a wet vac, dehumidifier, and mops.

Ladies all I eat is eggs, salad, apples, cheese & chicken :(. I have no idea what's wrong, please help me. I'm tearing up waiting for the doctor. I've gained 52lbs (3.74 stones) now, another 7lbs (0.5 stones) this week. I started at 120lb (8.57 stones).

My thyroid levels are as follows:
TSH: 2.500
T4 Total: 16.90
Free T4: 0.79
T3 Free: 2.42
T3: 1.9

Just saw the doctor and he doesn't think there's anything to be concerned about but I requested to be referred to an endocrinologist.

Please someone help me, I'm desperate :cry:

Baby is doing good btw, HB was 142.

Sorry you're worrying Kiwi, keep pushing if you feel something isn't right as sometimes doctors need a real nudge(was 3/4 months before they even tested my thyroid after I first presented with symptoms).

What a pain giggle about your basement! I hope you manage to dry it out as soon as possible.

Thanks bbb!

Kiwi what did he say about the weight? Maybe you should see someone else for a second opinion, a regular dr if that was your obgyn or vice versa.

Thanks bbb!

Kiwi what did he say about the weight? Maybe you should see someone else for a second opinion, a regular dr if that was your obgyn or vice versa.

It's strange but he wasn't even concerned at all, he acted like it was completely normal even though he already said most people gain around 30 lb throughout their whole pregnancy. The only other doctor he suggested was a nutritionist but also said that I didn't need that since I was eating good already. He basically kind of shoved it off like it didn't mean anything :(. Oh and yes it was my OBGYN. I did request to see an endocrinologist.

Ladies all I eat is eggs, salad, apples, cheese & chicken :(. I have no idea what's wrong, please help me. I'm tearing up waiting for the doctor. I've gained 52lbs (3.74 stones) now, another 7lbs (0.5 stones) this week. I started at 120lb (8.57 stones).

Kiwi, I'm going to assume that you're not eating huge, huge portions of those foods, which do sound healthy if you're not polishing off a full block of cheese per day. :winkwink:

I'm sure your doctor will be interested in how much weight you've gained and your concerns about it, though it seems like the default medical position can be to assume we eat too much.

Those thyroid numbers do seem to be within normal ranges except free T3. As I've said before, I personally can see a big difference in how many body behaves based on where in the TSH range I fall. My doctor has stated that my body is "extraordinarily sensitive to small changes in thyroid hormone." I try to keep my TSH around 1.0 or less, otherwise I tend towards weight gain and sluggishness.

I did notice that your free T3 (active hormone, T4 is storage hormone to be converted to T3) is below normal range. Could be your body is not converting the T4 to T3 efficiently.

Since you are within normal range on TSH and free T4, it may be difficult to get medicated, so I would lead with your concern over extreme weight gain despite reasonable healthy diet. A lot of endocrinologists including mine think it's enough to just test T4 and TSH. I also wonder if there is some other medical reason for the gain.

Found this helpful to show the normal ranges:
https://www.obfocus.com/high-risk/Thyroidtests.htm

On things that can effect your results:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/optimum-time-and-conditions-for-thyroid-blood-tests-3232911

I hope this helps a little and you get to see your doctor soon to try to get your mind put at ease. :flower:

Kiwi, I'm going to assume that you're not eating huge, huge portions of those foods, which do sound healthy if you're not polishing off a full block of cheese per day. :winkwink:

I'm sure your doctor will be interested in how much weight you've gained and your concerns about it, though it seems like the default medical position can be to assume we eat too much.

Those thyroid numbers do seem to be within normal ranges except free T3. As I've said before, I personally can see a big difference in how many body behaves based on where in the TSH range I fall. My doctor has stated that my body is "extraordinarily sensitive to small changes in thyroid hormone." I try to keep my TSH around 1.0 or less, otherwise I tend towards weight gain and sluggishness.

I did notice that your free T3 (active hormone, T4 is storage hormone to be converted to T3) is below normal range. Could be your body is not converting the T4 to T3 efficiently.

Since you are within normal range on TSH and free T4, it may be difficult to get medicated, so I would lead with your concern over extreme weight gain despite reasonable healthy diet. A lot of endocrinologists including mine think it's enough to just test T4 and TSH. I also wonder if there is some other medical reason for the gain.

Found this helpful to show the normal ranges:
https://www.obfocus.com/high-risk/Thyroidtests.htm

On things that can effect your results:
https://www.verywellhealth.com/optimum-time-and-conditions-for-thyroid-blood-tests-3232911

I hope this helps a little and you get to see your doctor soon to try to get your mind put at ease. :flower:

Thanks hun, also I don't eat huge portions. I actually stay within 1200 calories and 20 to 50 carbs per day. If it's not my thyroid, I really don't know why I am gaining all of this weight and I don't know what could cause it :cry:. I only drink water as well.

Thanks hun, also I don't eat huge portions. I actually stay within 1200 calories and 20 to 50 carbs per day. If it's not my thyroid, I really don't know why I am gaining all of this weight and I don't know what could cause it :cry:. I only drink water as well.

Wow, you are eating WAY less than I am!! In fact, I think that's way below most recommended calorie intakes I've seen for pregnancy. I don't understand why the ob/gyn wasn't more interested in the weight gain knowing this, but of course the doctor has had a lot more babies than we have.. :shrug:

When do you get to see the endo?

Wow, you are eating WAY less than I am!! In fact, I think that's way below most recommended calorie intakes I've seen for pregnancy. I don't understand why the ob/gyn wasn't more interested in the weight gain knowing this, but of course the doctor has had a lot more babies than we have.. :shrug:

When do you get to see the endo?

I'm waiting on them to call, it's a referral. I don't know why they weren't more concerned but it's really irritating me. I did find out that Keppra RX, the generic version of my seizure medication can cause large amount of weight gain that you're unable to lose even with diet and exercise as well as affecting thyroid test results. I don't think that's what's causing it though. It could just be a contributing factor. From what I've been reading, as far as the weight gain goes it prevent your metabolism from using food as energy and stores as fat instead. It could explain why I'm always tired all the time. I wasn't taking it for at least a month though, so I'm not necessarily sure if Keppra RX is what's causing everything.

Those timelines don't add up, are there any other meds that might be the culprit?

Those timelines don't add up, are there any other meds that might be the culprit?

What do you mean? I started taking Keppra RX June 9th, I only stopped in August because I ran out of medication.

What do you mean? I started taking Keppra RX June 9th, I only stopped in August because I ran out of medication. I know this because that's when I had my last seizure and was prescribed the medication at the emergency room. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it might be the medication. I actually didn't start gaining a lot of weight until after I started taking the medication, I even have some pictures of myself around that time. When I read about it online and other people's experience, it's specifically the generic version of Keppra which is Keppra RX. I don't remember the name of the generic version specifically and don't have the bottle in front of me.

It really honestly just has to be something, because what I eat doesn't make any sense as to what could cause the rapid weight gain. I do drink some flavored water which has aspartame in it, and I'm reading that it's actually really bad for people who have seizures. At least from what I've been reading it can cause the same thing that I'm assuming Keppra RX is causing.

Oh i'm sorry, i misread! I thought you said you had only been on it a month.

In that case it definitely sounds like it could be a contributing factor. Is there a similar med you can take instead that doesn't have that side effect?

Ers you ok over there???

Oh i'm sorry, i misread! I thought you said you had only been on it a month.

In that case it definitely sounds like it could be a contributing factor. Is there a similar med you can take instead that doesn't have that side effect?

Ers you ok over there???

I updated my post by the way and added a little bit more information. As for different medications, the ER doctor told me that Keppra was the safest during pregnancy but I'm going to ask the neurologist at my appointment in October.

Oh my God I guess it posted double posts LOL. Sorry ladies, I think it's a glitch with BnB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->