• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

10 week old going on and off breast constantly during a feed?

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
Has done this on and off for quite a while, like since birth. He goes on and takes a bit to actually latch (will play with it in his mouth first). When he latches he sucks a bit but then pulls off, immediately wanting on again. Eventually my letdown happens and he eats a bit, but he is constantly pulling his head away from the breast while still latched. I do my best to keep him on, but if I force too hard he gets upset. As soon as he goes off he wants on again. Does it more frequently as the feed goes on until he eventually refuses to latch. I try the other side and same thing. He doesn't seem in pain when he squirms, though almost like he might have gas or something but doesn't pass any (and doesn't seem excessively gassy overall).

Has also started randomly burrowing his face downward into the crook of my arm when he is squirming.

I thought a letdown speed issue but he does it pre letdown, during and after so doubt that's it. Tried prescription grade reflux meds early on but didn't notice any difference in the 3 weeks he was on or when he went off, and he almost never spits up (like a couple times a week). He doesn't seem in pain, just pulling away and stretching my poor friggin nipple out.

My letdown used to be almost immediate and strong (borderline painful) but now I almost don't feel it and it usually takes a couple mins.

I offer him the boob when he first wakes up from a nap, and again if he has trouble going down. Since he pulls off so often I have a hard time telling if he is eating enough, and end up offering him every 1.5 hours or so based off his mood.

Last I checked weight gain was fine but has been a few weeks. I can only pump about an ounce each side in 10 mins though. Seemed like I had so much more milk earlier on but guessing it has just regulated itself.

Thoughts? I'm tempted to go back on the reflux meds because I'm out of options. No tongue tie or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->