10 week old lying awake for hours but not crying? Is this normal?

Kapow

OH, Moo moo and lil ted.
Reaction score
Max is 10 weeks today and is pretty good most of the time.

We've being trying to establish a little bit of a routine for him for the past two weeks. This is only a bath, into sleepsuit, feed and bed with lullabys and can be done anytime between 7pm and 9pm dependant on how sleepy he's looking.

We usually hear him wriggling around and beginning to cry via the baby monitor and usually get in to breastfeed him / pop his dummy back in before he gets too distressed. This can go on for up to 2 hours before he finally drops off to sleep.

However on Wednesday night I went through the routine and left him half awake at 8.45pm. I completed some chores at 9.15 on my way past his room I stuck my head around his door to see if he was asleep. He was lying wide awake, dummy out of his mouth just looking around the room. He seem pretty contented so I left him. I again checked on him at 9.45pm and he was STILL awake but content. This happened again at 10.30pm. I got into bed at this time (his crib is right beside my side of the bed) and put my hand on his tummy. Within minutes he was fast asleep.

I know if he was distressed or needed me he should have cried but I feel terrible that he was lying awake, alone for hours.

Last night the same happened again but I only left him for 45 mins before I got into bed.

I've made sure he goes to bed in a clean nappy with a full belly. Tried light on dimly and light off but it makes no difference.

He does cry at other times but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience this? Is he ok? I don't see my HV until a week Monday due to the bank holiday so I can't ask her.

Thanks

x

I would have thought that if he was unhappy he would let you know, if he is quietly looking around and seems happy then it sounds like he should be fine on his own. Sounds like you have a chilled out baby there :) xx

Alex does this occasionally as well, he seems to just take in his surroundings and lie happily there. It happens after day-time naps as well :~)

When Finn is tired he gets a bit starey if you know what I mean.. just lies around staring at stuff with a glazed look.. i swear he goes to sleep with his eyes open sometimes! The only think I would say is he'd obviously been up in the night and playing but hadn't got up and told me so I'd assumed he'd slept all night and couldnt figure out why he needed a nap at 8.30am! I only realised when I got up at 4am and heard a little conversation going on between him and mr pony!

I tell you, it's a massive advantage that he'll do that! One of the best things about Ruby's temperament is that she'll lie awake happily for ages when she wakes up in the morning.

Noah did the exact same thing when we were doing his bedtime routine at first. I used to feel guilty thinking how boring it'd be for him.but really that's the idea cos they start to realise it won't get exciting and they sleep. Now he drops off himself after only a few mins, we just pop in to stick his dummy in if it falls out as he's settling.

So keep it up sounds like you're doing good x

Molly does this too! She'll just lie there staring around if she's tired but can last for ages and if she wakes up and isn't tired, she'll just play with her hands for ages or coo and ahh at the nursery!

That's a GOOD thing!!! I'm able to do that with Rocco. I put him to bed and walk away. Most of the time he "talks" himself to sleep or "sings" himself to sleep.
Consider yourself lucky that your LO can stay awake for hours without being fussy!!

Aww thanks ladies, this is GREAT news. I feel like such a meanie leaving him there alone though.

xx

Maisie does that too, lays there for ages just looking around after she wakes up ( from daytime naps too). Its a good thing i guess!

Stevie does this in the mornings when she wakes at 5am. We put her into bed with us then she lays in the middle of us and just looks about. We usually wake up later with her looking/smiling at us and she is very chilled out for the rest of the day as well...mostly X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->