10 week ultrasound question

nilllabean26

Reaction score
is this going to be another vaginal ultrasound? or will i be able to do an abdominal ultrasound now?they told me this appointment they wouldbe doing a dull checkup. i just realized i dont know everything that consists of. im tired of being prodded in the vagina. before i got pregnant i just had a papsmere that hurt like heck. last appt, there were like 4 docs in my room looking at the monitor while my legs were spread for the world to see. its so awkward and uncomfortable. it doesnt help when the device looks like a cabbage patch doll

oh and i know if i do end up havign a full term baby, it will be bigger than a cabbage patch doll, but im not ready to have those images yet.

You should be able to get an abdominal one. At 7w5d they gave me an abdominal and we could see everything perfectly. I think around 8 weeks is when they switch from transvaginal to abdominal. Enjoy your scan either way at least you get to peek at the little one!!

By ten weeks you should get an abdominal one, I have with both my pregnancys.

You should be able to get an abdominal one. At 7w5d they gave me an abdominal and we could see everything perfectly. I think around 8 weeks is when they switch from transvaginal to abdominal. Enjoy your scan either way at least you get to peek at the little one!!

thanks ladies for responding. and its not that i wont be happy to see the baby. its just last time i was told i was going to miscarry and at 7 weeks thought i would be seeing a dead baby or soemthing. they brought 4 different people in the room and it was too uncomfortable for me(Ttouching my knees and leaning over my body becasue the room was so small).

As long as you have a full bladder, they should be able to easily see baby with the abdominal :) The only reason they ended up doing a vaginal ultrasound with me at 8 weeks was because I didn't have enough fluid in mine to push it up for a clear image.

at my NT scan, I had both done (12w1d) because baby was wriggling up a storm and she couldn't get good neck measurements. Both didn't work, but it was fun to see baby and im going back at 13 weeks exactly. I know the feeling of being prodded, I like my parts to myself!

^ Yes, as a PP said, it helps to have a full bladder! I've always been instructed to drink lots of water and hold it before the early u/s so that the full bladder pushes the uterus up above your pelvic bone.

I agree with others that they will probably do abdominal at this point.

However, I want to add it's time to get over people being "in your business". ha ha This is just the start of a lot of people checking what is going on! I am over it after my last pregnancy and then infertility problems. Just remember they are all medical professionals and aren't "checking you out". I understand it is awkward, but it's just one of those necessary evils.

Good luck at your scan!!

they brought 4 different people in the room and it was too uncomfortable for me(Ttouching my knees and leaning over my body becasue the room was so small).

You know, I have decided that it is no longer worth it to me to have a gaggle of doctors in the room while up my vayjayjay. I use to be more accommodating, and in the past when there was more than the one doctor in the room it was always for teaching purposes.

I have finally decided that enough is enough, and I don't want anymore doctors in the room with me than what is necessary. You can tell the extras to get out.

I understand that they are trying to learn, for science or whatnot, but it's just gotten to the point that they are going to have to learn on someone else.

I'd go with a full bladder and be ademt that you'd like to try for a ta us and if that doesn't work, have a vaginal one. I had a ta us at 7w 3d and then at 8w 6days, a different person said if need a baginal one because it was a different machine! I'm having one on Monday (10w 3 days) and it will ta.x

You should be able to see an image that is much closer to resembling a baby than previous scans.xxx

I'd go with a full bladder and be ademt that you'd like to try for a ta us and if that doesn't work, have a vaginal one. I had a ta us at 7w 3d and then at 8w 6days, a different person said if need a baginal one because it was a different machine! I'm having one on Monday (10w 3 days) and it will ta.x

You should be able to see an image that is much closer to resembling a baby than previous scans.xxx

Lol I have no idea what ur saying. Don't know the terminology ur using. And gl at ur next scan;). Ur typo baginal made me laugh:p I think I will be the same week/day as u.. my ticker is off Since the first visit.!!

I don't think it's fair for u to tell me it's time I just get over it. After they were done checking what they needed to, they stayed to chocolate. Chat and have a convo. It was no longer to inform me on anything or to educate the other main Dr who needed help in the first place. She sitting there learning on my knee and asking me questions unrelated to What's going on. And mind u it irked me because I was already nervous because at this point I hadn't seen the baby yet. They were only in there to check out my tubes because they had seen something abnormal. I doubt when I give birth, the doctor is not going to have her hand up my vagina asking me about the army and how I like it living in a new state. This has nothing to do with me being paranoid they are looking at my vagina and it's aesthetics .There's no point in me telling u everything that went on in there. U have no clue if my vajay Jay hurts and I need a break. Or have a fear etc. It's best to respect what I'm saying...I never mentioned anything about them doing their job. Just more of my paranoia. I don't even know how I would've responded with all those people in there and my baby wasn't Ok, and they are talking about random things while I'm anxious.wasn't easy for me.. can't ball up and cry in fetal position either.
I agree with others that they will probably do abdominal at this point.

However, I want to add it's time to get over people being "in your business". ha ha This is just the start of a lot of people checking what is going on! I am over it after my last pregnancy and then infertility problems. Just remember they are all medical professionals and aren't "checking you out". I understand it is awkward, but it's just one of those necessary evils.

Good luck at your scan!!

they brought 4 different people in the room and it was too uncomfortable for me(Ttouching my knees and leaning over my body becasue the room was so small).

You know, I have decided that it is no longer worth it to me to have a gaggle of doctors in the room while up my vayjayjay. I use to be more accommodating, and in the past when there was more than the one doctor in the room it was always for teaching purposes.

I have finally decided that enough is enough, and I don't want anymore doctors in the room with me than what is necessary. You can tell the extras to get out.

I understand that they are trying to learn, for science or whatnot, but it's just gotten to the point that they are going to have to learn on someone else.
thank you for ur comment. I appreciate it

... I was basically just saying this is the beginning of people checking you, etc. I even purposely typed "ha ha" right after that because I wasn't seriously saying Just get over it! .. If I meant that, I would have said that.

People having conversations while your legs are in the air is a different issue and not just checking you. I was only speaking to what you had typed which was getting checked.

Sorry that was taken the wrong way.

Hahaha'! Tired with fat fingers :) sorry

Ademt was a typo and should have said adamant.
Sorry - ta us= Trans abdominal ultrasound (lazy and can't be bothered to type!)

I know that feeling when I was in labour wirh my DD I had my legs in stirrups and there was about 6 professionals in the also my mum and OH and they we're deciding whether to take a sample from DDs head to check if she had adequate oxygen. They decided against it, (although they shouldn't have) had been awake for 2 days and they continued talking about who was on what shift etc. I said excuse me but if you've made the decision can you PLEASE get me out of these things! My mum was so embarrassed lol.
Also the scan should be abdominal. Though they may try for vaginal if the picture isn't good enough. At my hospital they scan abdominal my from 9 weeks.
Good Luck xxxxx

I had a scan at 11 weeks and had an abdominal us. They even made me empty my bladder. It just depends on your practice really. If they didn't say anything about having a full bladder they probably don't want you to have one. And it will look so much more like a baby this time :). I'm sorry your experience with the first one was so bad, I would have definitely said something if it were me laying there spread eagle. Those were very unprofessional drs treating you more like a test subject than a patient. I would definitely write a letter to the head of the practice with something like this.

I know that feeling when I was in labour wirh my DD I had my legs in stirrups and there was about 6 professionals in the also my mum and OH and they we're deciding whether to take a sample from DDs head to check if she had adequate oxygen. They decided against it, (although they shouldn't have) had been awake for 2 days and they continued talking about who was on what shift etc. I said excuse me but if you've made the decision can you PLEASE get me out of these things! My mum was so embarrassed lol.
Also the scan should be abdominal. Though they may try for vaginal if the picture isn't good enough. At my hospital they scan abdominal my from 9 weeks.s
Good Luck xxxxx
That sounds horrid. I'm sorry but that is extremely rude. U see someone there scared about there baby and probably don't know fully What's going on,and they r talkijg about shifts? Also can u explain what u meant by taking a sample of her head to test for oxygen levels. Sounds very invasive. Ur ur baby is healthy and happy now: )

They told me I would have to get a full check up, so I'm pretty sure they are going to look inside me again. For ur second appt, what is everything they did? They told me it would be more than just an ultrasound But I was too out of it to ask a whole bunch of questions. I remember hearing breast exam ajd they would check my cervix. Not sure what else. I'm just happy to see an ob finally because they deafened Some of my meds until this second appt..10 weeks is a long time..

I had a scan at 11 weeks and had an abdominal us. They even made me empty my bladder. It just depends on your practice really. If they didn't say anything about having a full bladder they probably don't want you to have one. And it will look so much more like a baby this time :). I'm sorry your experience with the first one was so bad, I would have definitely said something if it were me laying there spread eagle. Those were very unprofessional drs treating you more like a test subject than a patient. I would definitely write a letter to the head of the practice with something like this.
They weren't doctors lol sadly. This is why I got no real answers to anything. It's a military training hospital so they were all in training. i see a real ob tomorrow and boy do i have many questions...Why do Some want u to have a full bladder and others don't? Was your uterus too high for u with a full bladder? Or was it in the way?

I have no idea. She saw how full my bladder was and asked "didn't they have you empty your bladder when you checked in?". Nope. She said they always have you empty your bladder and leave a sample before any ultrasounds. I really think it just depends on how the techs are trained at each practice.

As for my second visit: I didn't have a full exam. Not breast check or cervix check. She just looked at the us pics and felt my stomach. Then proceeded to ask me and dh a TON of questions about family medical history and my symptoms. Gave me all the paperwork for what not to eat, what medications not to take, and a book about being rh-. Not sure why they want to do a full exam if you've recently had one. I would question it when you go in if I were you. Standard procedure or not if you've recently had one no reason to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->