• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

10lb8 baby, 4th degree tear...BIG delivery decision!!!!

haven't delivered myself yet, but from my mom's experience: my brother was massive and my mom had a forceps/ventouse delivery plus a really nasty tear with over 50 stitches. it also took almost a day to deliver him and my mom wasn't able to sit for over a week afterwards.
i was myself also a big baby despite coming early, but from what my mom swears, i was out in two pushes and very little pain, not even a graze.
she was also never offered a section as an option. (it was late '70 so it wasn't that much in fashion as now)

EDIT: and by the way, if you healed so nicely already, you should know something about your body: it recovers and heals really well :) which is a good thing to know and to trust to.

Well ladies, growth scan was last Friday. Baby is weighing similar to last baby at same stage and on course to be a similar size. Spoke with a different consultant to last time who recommended a CS but discussed options if I am really keen to try for natural.
I'm also lucky enough to have a midwife friend who was present when my son was delivered and she was blunt discussing things with me also, highlighting the fact that it is highly likely I will be having another big baby. This coupled with the tear I suffered last time and the blood loss makes another tear highly likely.
The first repair is always the best I am told, therefore I could suffer damage that might not fix well. So I pondered for a few days and have decided to be sensible and take the CS option. I ended up thinking about it simply.....yes there is a small chance that I could be one of the lucky ladies that have second babies in record time, without a stitch and suffer no ill effects however the chances of big baby causing similar damage to last time is much greater and far more likely.
And that for me is decision made, planned section at 39 weeks. Thanks for all advice and stories xxx

I'm so pleased for you that at least you know definitely now, as there is nothing worse than wondering and worrying.

You thread is inspirational for me too, so thankyou as I appear to be in an almost identical position. (Shoulder dystocia last time, now toying with the what-to-do dilemma) so I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to share your story, and especially for coming back to update.

please let us know how you get on, and I will be hoping that everything goes really well for you! xx

Good for you! If I were in your situation, I think I'd honestly go for a CS too! :hugs:

And now you can have an exact count down to when you'll meet your baby! :yipee:

Bit late here, but just wanted to give all you big baby ladies a positive story.
Ds was my first baby weighed in at 10lb3, labour was long but I birthed him naturally with no interventions and didn't tear, I had a small graze apparently.
I think the big difference was I was already fully dilated for a while before pushing and I'd not had any medication so I could feel everything.
I didn't have to push long.
I labored for a number of hours in water which I think must have had a huge part in it.
Xx

Glad you made a decision. I was told the same at my 8 week follow up with consultant - I was lucky they could repair the damage but if I tore again then they'd not be able to repair it as well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hds13
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->