11 year olds on facebook

my sister is 10 and she has it, she only adds people she knows, and if she gets a friend request from someone she doesnt know she will show my mum, and knows not to accept, all her settings are private too so nobody can see her pictures only friends and family, i think it depends on the child, some are more mature than others and some can understand better, i dont think theres a problem if it is properly monitered, i remember an incident a few months ago when a 'boy' tried to add my sister and some of my younger cousins (12, and 10) when my auntie checked his profile she saw all his friends were all girls around 11 or 12 and from all over the country, she pretended to be my cousin and spoke to him and he was obviously not who he said he was, she deleted him and block and reported him, she also noticed that a couple of girls in my cousins class were his friend too so she told there parents, weeks later they are still friends with him so obviously there parents are not too bothered that there 11year old daughters are speaking to weirdos, they have all been informed and instructed to ask permission before adding people now and i know both my mum and auntie regularly check the kids friends and who they speak too, x

booth ur sister seems to have a good head on her shoulders to not be adding who knows and doesnt have a problem to show ur mum whos trying to befriend her.

i wish my sister had her brain, shes 15 but acts 5 lol

he was obviously not who he said he was, she deleted him and block and reported him, ....weeks later they are still friends with him so obviously there parents are not too bothered that there 11year old daughters are speaking to weirdos
I think the biggest problem there is, weeks later he is still on facebook. They should have removed him.

Here in germany the Studivz (which is basically a rip off of the very original FB without apps and all and also still looks a bit like it) They have one for pupils too which is called schülervz, and this has extra moderation , as well as one can only get invited to it by a classmate, as well as additional tips directed at the kids using the site. ( It also have an offical security seal by the TÜV which is a safety testing association)I think that would be acceptable , but I don't think that any younger than 13 ,14 should have their own FB in any case.

THat sounds like a very good system Morri, FB should be much better moderated

Yes, they have seperated it basically there is one for kids only (aka pupils) one for students and one for adults (that arent studying) .(the one for students(tertiary education) and 'working force' is connected though )

Don't place an address.
See what they do.
Make them aware of the dangers.

I've seen 5 year olds on Facebook, i think it's really sad to be honest.

I feel sorry for the next generation, i think in 50 years there wont any need for physical relationships, people will get married online and live their lives like the Sims!

I think it depends on how it is used. My dd is 10 and had a bebo to keep up with old school friends when she moved home, but she didn't have the pw and was closely monitored using it. She also has very limited time on the internet as I think there are plenty of other things a ten year old should be doing with their time. She pretty much lost interest and is asking for a facebook, I've told her she'll have to earn it and the same rules will apply as when she had her bebo.
Dh teaches child internet safety to parents as part of his job, so we are all very aware of the pitfalls and safety precautions.

I don't let my almost 13 year old son on there. He doesn't have a computer in his room and if he wants to go on the internet he does it in the front room when we're around. Unfortunately it's not stopped him accessing inappropriate things. He gets free internet access on his phone and was able to sign up for a DATING site! by pretending to be 18!! I went mad when i found out, rang the phone company and the customer services for the website and made formal complaints. I'd done everything possible to block internet access on the phone but this site was part of their "services". I'm beginning to think supervised facebook would've been a lesser evil.....

I don't let my almost 13 year old son on there. He doesn't have a computer in his room and if he wants to go on the internet he does it in the front room when we're around. Unfortunately it's not stopped him accessing inappropriate things. He gets free internet access on his phone and was able to sign up for a DATING site! by pretending to be 18!! I went mad when i found out, rang the phone company and the customer services for the website and made formal complaints. I'd done everything possible to block internet access on the phone but this site was part of their "services". I'm beginning to think supervised facebook would've been a lesser evil.....

Wow, it is amazing the way these companies get at the children nowadays. Once upon a time you'd only have to worry about your home phone, then it was your PC and now the mobile phones - what next??

If the parents are supervising their kid, I don't see an issue with it. It's breaking FB rules yes.... but their rules don't make sense and don't even protect and support 13yr olds, so even as your kid does reach the "right" age, they still need some supervision.... also, my niece is 12 and she is more mature than a lot of 15 yr olds I know..... Technically, she shouldn't be on FB but they are allowed, but THEY are more at risk than she is.

My 11 and 14 year olds are on FB. I monitor both pretty well. My 11 year old DD only has family and her friends on it. I think its ok as long as you do keep a close eye.

My son is on it (He's 8) but i have the privacy and security seetings set on it and he only has friends from school and his family on it. I check it regularly and he knows not to befriend anyone unless he checks with me first. If you dont let them experience things how can they learn how to be safe? I trust my son and think its a learning experience for him and he knows if he goes past the boundaries i have set then there will be consequences.

I would say no, its not acceptable. However, my niece and nephew who live in France have a similar sort of thing, well a blog website aimed specifically at children and this is heavily moderated and monitored, so that doesn't seem so bad.

I don't think she should keep him from opening a facebook page. The thing is - if he really wants it then he would do it anyway! Stopping him would only let him do it anyway and just lie to her. What she can do is to let him get one and make friends with him. That way she can monitor it as well.

Kids feel left out when all their friends have something they don't. This teasing can take quite a toll on a young teenager so they would eventually just go do it in the dark

It's difficult knowing where to draw the line but these kids are growing up in the cyber age and need to keep up with everything. Good supervision should eliminate some of these problems. These days they are told to use the internet for school work...??? it's good to educate our children on the dangers of the internet and steer them in th right direction.

my 11 yr old nephew is on it and i am one of his friends, but i really dont like it, as i see what types of things he is talking to friends about...swearing, being rude etc all the things i didnt expect from him. but i dont want to steam in and tell my brother as i dont want to interfere..especially as my brother is his friend on there aswell! definitely too young.

I don't think she should keep him from opening a facebook page. The thing is - if he really wants it then he would do it anyway! Stopping him would only let him do it anyway and just lie to her. What she can do is to let him get one and make friends with him. That way she can monitor it as well.

Kids feel left out when all their friends have something they don't. This teasing can take quite a toll on a young teenager so they would eventually just go do it in the dark

He's not the type of child to go off and do that behind her back. He knows he would get found out and the consequences would be dire. She knows she can let him do it and monitor it, she's just not happy for him to be on there in the first place. It is entirely unnecessary.

He's not a teenager, he is eleven. Facebook has a rule that you have to be 13, is it so wrong of her to teach him that rules are there for a reason, usually for protection and that he should stick to them? I'm wondering what message it sends to an eleven year old that it's ok to lie about your age to join in with something?

Similarly, I'd think a great life lesson is that sometimes other people have things you don't. As a child I never had even half the things my friends had - we didn't have the money. If anyone teased me about it, it obviously did me no harm as I can't remember if they did or not.

I wonder if facebook would consider opening a childs version?

He's not a teenager, he is eleven. Facebook has a rule that you have to be 13, is it so wrong of her to teach him that rules are there for a reason, usually for protection and that he should stick to them? I'm wondering what message it sends to an eleven year old that it's ok to lie about your age to join in with something?

You have a valid point there. It is necessary to teach your children to behave according to rules and that there is a reason they're there for.

Maybe the child just should't have Facebook till she's older. Besides... An 11 year old should be playing around with kid stuff and not sit infront of a computer the whole time

I wonder if facebook would consider opening a childs version?
I think that's a great idea. Let people of the same age connect with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->