14 month old just does not eat - advice/tips?

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
My DS has always been a bit of a rubbish eater. He has never been very interested in food whether that's BLW/finger foods or spoon feeding.

He's now at the stage where he sometimes screams if we try to offer him food even if it's finger food. If he's hungry, he eats maybe 2/3 bites of things then wants down from the table.

We've tried spoon feeding, self feeding with a pre loaded spoon or fork and finger foods

We've tried a high chair and a booster seat at the dining table, a bumbo/baby snug on the floor or just picnic style casual on the rug.

The only way I can get him to eat anything is if he is distracted with a toy or TV.

He's always been between the 75th and 50th centile for weight but is now closer to 50th. HV doesn't seem too bothered but it's worrying that he has such and unhealthy attitude to eating.

Can anyone share advice/experiences? Xx

Have you talked with the doctor about your concerns with his attitude toward eating? That would honestly be my first step in all of this. Also, what age is he? I know my LO had a very brief tantrum stage where she got really fed up in the highchair; I think it was her way at that age of attempting to assert her independence (9months old). Thankfully it quickly passed.

Otherwise, I would suggest just offering whatever it is you feed him and don't make a big deal of it one way or another, but always praise him when he eats. Try to make it as stress free as possible; eat when he eats, etc.

He's 14 months and he's definitely asserting his authority! I think meals are one of the only ways he feels he can do that. I also wonder about whether I give him too much milk, whether I'm overthinking it, whether I've done something to cause him to feel this way about eating. Literally everything goes through my mind!

I've talked to the health visitor about it and to be honest, she's been of little use. No harm to her but she was just a bit blasé about it and moved on to another subject. I think I'll give her another phone tomorrow and see if she can make any suggestions x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->