14 month old waking in the night.

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
DS used to be such a good sleeper when he was little but is turning into more and more of a nightmare since he turned one. He used to sleep from 8pm-6/7am every night with a very occasional wake up which he settled back down really quickly. Now it's a completely different story.

He still goes to bed at 8 pm but now most nights he will wake between midnight and 2am and will be awake until about 4am. He's so awake, full of energy and wants to play. We've tried settling him in his cot, holding him and rocking him to sleep, letting him play to burn up energy, bringing him into our bed, giving him milk... Nothing consistently works and sometimes nothing works at all. I think i can count on one hand the amount of times he has slept through the night since his birthday. It's absolutely exhausting.

He naps for 1-3 hours a day but it's really dependant on what the night before was like. What I will say is the length and timing of his naps doesn't seem to have any bearing on how well he sleeps overnight. Neither does how "busy" our day has been.

I'm not really sure what I can do and I know it is probably just a phase. Quite a few babies I know his age are doing somethinow similar but I'm really struggling with limited sleep. I'm just out of the first tri in my second pregnancy and I'm still very much feeling the exhaustion from that.

Any suggestions except CIO are welcome but really I'm just looking for someone to tell me I'm not alone, it's a phase and it'll be over soon. I just want my good, little sleeper back.

No advice but you aren't alone. Dd is just over 2 and she's maybe slept through the night 3 timed in her life. She goes through phases where she does good and only wakes 3-4 timed and other nights where it's hourly. When she was your sons age she went through a phase where she'd wake and stay up so we'd put an air mattress in the living room and watch cartoons till she fell back to sleep. She's mostly just tossing and turning so not full wakings. The one thing we've done is bed share and we still breastfeed so that helps too but it's hard cause everyone thinks your crazy that your kid doesn't sleep but some kids just don't they need the cuddles and extras....

I'm in the same boat. It is very hard!

Emma is my only baby to have slept through as an infant, she was sleeping through about half the night a of the week from about 8 weeks to 4.5 months and hasn't slept through since. She wakes up about 5 times a night.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one although I feel for anyone experiencing it too! It's so tough. We've had a couple of okay-ish nights but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to last.

Having the same issue with my now 16 month old. He has never slept through the night. Maybe 5 or 6 hours tops and that was extremely rare. Has not happened in quite some time. I sure hope it's a phase but it has been 16 months now �� We are so exhausted. I still breastfeed to sleep so it could partly be my fault. Maybe it's a sleep staple. We have run out of options and end up bringing him in our bed after several attempts to put him down again every night. Also possibly he just wants in our bed. Don't know but I hope it gets better for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->