16 week hard time finding hb

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Today at my 16 week midwife appointment she had a hard time finding baby's heartbeat. She finally found it way up high and was surprised where baby was hiding - saying it was because my uterus has grown so fast with this being #2 that baby has more places to hide than my first did.

I cried the entire appointment and have been anxious ever since.

Baby's okay right? Things can be ok? She assured me baby's heart rate was perfect and all was well but I still feel shaken and scared.

Yes! Everything is okay! My first-born was a great hider. Often, practitioners would have a hard time finding him, no matter which stage of pregnancy I was in. Even at 37 weeks! Luckily, the office I go to has an ultrasound machine, and I got a quick scan done at almost every appointment with him. He was so stubborn that during labor, they had to stick a probe INTO the top of his head. He would normally behave for ultrasounds, but he hated the doppler. He was a stubborn fetus, and he's now a stubborn 5-year-old. :) It doesn't sound like your baby is quite that stubborn - maybe, time will tell, but your midwife clearly expected you to have a smaller uterus at this point. Consider yourself advanced. I, too, have a larger-than-usual uterus during pregnancy. My drs say I give my babies an Olympic sized swimming pool - plenty of room to move around in there and lots of places to hide. Haha

Thank you so much for your reply, it's brought me to tears but most of them are from relief. I really wish they had given me an ultrasound so I could see baby but I am grateful to have been able to hear their heartbeat again.

Love the image of an Olympic sized swimming pool :haha:

DD was a stinker with the doppler and would kick it away so we got more kicking sounds than heartbeat but she was crazy active. From the moment I could feel her I swear I was internally bruised, but loved every moment of it.

I had a prenatal appt at 13+weeks and my Dr used 2 different (but both ancient looking) dopplers and couldn't find a heartbeat. Luckily, I'd brought mine and was able to find the heartbeat, no problem. But I know that fear.

I'm nervous to mention to my midwife I have a doppler. When I was pregnant with DD the midwife I had at that time shamed me for having a doppler and said that it should be used only when necessary - but I never fully trusted that midwife and ended up being transferred to an emergency OB anyways.

Do you know where your placenta is? I have an anterior placenta this time and I expect it will make it harder to find HB. Dr could not find it at 12 weeks, which is earlier, but a quick ultrasound showed a good HB no problem (and anterior placenta).

I don't remember where my placenta is, the tech told me at 12 weeks... I might call the maternal fetal center tomorrow and ask if they'll look in my chart to tell me because I'm curious.

Since finding baby's heartbeat on my doppler at home I've always been able to find it quickly, but baby's always been low. Today they were all the way at the top near my ribs.

Definitely a problem of finding baby's position, nothing wrong! I can't believe she made you so nervous, they are supposed to be professionals... It's nice to have a Doppler at home to be able to check for yourself. I gave mine away after the last pregnancy

DH was angry, when we left he told me that she should have been talking to me the whole time while trying to find it - saying that baby was just hiding. She's not my favorite of the midwives in rotation, I don't expect to love all of them.

I sold mine after DD was born then smacked myself on the forehead when we got pregnant because of course I wanted a doppler again. Thankfully they're easy to find pre-owned for less than brand new.

I had the same at my 16wk check. She would literally be able to get a couple of seconds worth of heartbeat before baby moved away. This happened 3 times and then she decided she was satisfied she had heard it, but, like you, my uterus is already stretched this time round so baby has more room to escape.

I just counted myself lucky that she bothered trying to check at all. I've heard that a lot of MWs don't check the HB now at 16wks because they can have trouble finding it and it leads to too many scares.

You guys are lucky you are getting the HB checked at your midwife appointments, I had my 25 week today and still she didn't check! They don't do it until 28 weeks apparently unless they want to check if you've raised a concern! :-/ still, I won't complain as I love my midwife, she's super lovely! She never makes me feel stupid or like I'm wasting her time if I ring with a question!

I know it's very difficult when you are worried but as a medical professional, the midwife probably felt it was better to concentrate on locating the HB before giving the reassuring comment of baby is just hiding. As I guess sometimes, there is more cause for concern and she doesn't want to lie to you as a patient. Which is not always what you want to hear not reassuring but I'd rather my midwife was truthful to be fair! It sounds like everything is fine though, I'd be very reassured that the HB sounded all good once located!

I have my own Doppler but I don't use it much anymore, Sometimes I do like to just hear baby though. This little one hides, I have to be stood up. If I'm laying down, I often struggle to locate the HB. Stood up seems to make it easier! Maybe try that if you haven't?

Shiny I have seen a few posts about midwives not checking at 16 weeks! I was surprised to hear some don't so I'm grateful mine did take a listen.

I barely slept all night and this morning I keep getting anxious. I called my midwife and they said I'm welcome to come in and take another listen. I want to but DH thinks I'm being silly and I don't want my midwife to see me as a nuisance. First I have a dentist appt, but I do want to go... if I don't will I be stressing all the way for 3 more weeks? I have a doppler at home but I couldn't find baby.

You guys are lucky you are getting the HB checked at your midwife appointments, I had my 25 week today and still she didn't check! They don't do it until 28 weeks apparently unless they want to check if you've raised a concern! :-/ still, I won't complain as I love my midwife, she's super lovely! She never makes me feel stupid or like I'm wasting her time if I ring with a question!

I know it's very difficult when you are worried but as a medical professional, the midwife probably felt it was better to concentrate on locating the HB before giving the reassuring comment of baby is just hiding. As I guess sometimes, there is more cause for concern and she doesn't want to lie to you as a patient. Which is not always what you want to hear not reassuring but I'd rather my midwife was truthful to be fair!

I have my own Doppler but I don't use it much anymore, Sometimes I do like to just hear baby though. This little one hides, I have to be stood up. If I'm laying down, I often struggle to locate the HB. Stood up seems to make it easier!

I would be going crazy waiting until 28 weeks! You're right, although it brought me alarm it's better than her giving a false assurance in case something was going on. I love my midwife team, they've all been wonderful and I'm so glad to not feel dumb when I call in. The midwives I had for DD always made me feel low. I haven't tried standing! I'll have to try it out, maybe it'll work better for me too :)

Def try! I have no idea why it makes it easier, maybe baby moves forwards a bit or something! I hope you can find it, I used to struggle at 16 weeks. But if you are worried, I'd 100% pop and get double checked. No point stressing out for 3 weeks and it sounds like they are happy for you go see them!

I vividly remember my 16 appointment with my midwife during my first pregnancy, as she couldn't find the heartbeat at all. I had to go to the hospital and was so upset! They however found it straight away. The little monkey had been hiding! I'm sure all is now fine now that you've heard it. :flower:

When I went into my 16 week appt last Thursday it took my midwife a moment to find the hb and I got nervous but then she found it a little lower. Strong loud hb she said all was well. But I was definitely scared for the moment.

Today at my 16 week midwife appointment she had a hard time finding baby's heartbeat. She finally found it way up high and was surprised where baby was hiding - saying it was because my uterus has grown so fast with this being #2 that baby has more places to hide than my first did.

I cried the entire appointment and have been anxious ever since.

Baby's okay right? Things can be ok? She assured me baby's heart rate was perfect and all was well but I still feel shaken and scared.

This EXACT same thing happened to me, same reason too. I've found out later on that I have an anterior placenta and explains why she couldn't actually find the heartbeat - placenta is at the front and covering baby!
Absolutely nothing to worry about :) p.s had my 20 week anomaly scan today and everything was perfect :)

Boobee that's wonderful your 20 week scan went perfectly!

Went into the midwives today and she found it immediately <3 Feeling so much better!! I'm beginning to wonder if I have an anterior placenta. When did you feel movement with it muffling baby's kicks?

I had my 16w appt last week too and she couldn't find heartbeat so I'm going back today to try again. Still feeling movement so she wasn't concerned and she said it was just because of how much room is in there. Baby#2 here too x

At least you can feel movement, I know that was such a relief with DD. Good luck finding baby's heartbeat today, I bet they'll find it right away like they did mine today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->