18 & Pregnant: Advice For Telling Parents?

dollipop

Reaction score
I found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks ago. My SO is overjoyed. I was afraid at first, but now I feel really happy about this. The only part that's really scaring me now is telling my mother. She's never said anything about me getting pregnant. But I've seen her reactions to family members and family friends getting pregnant young. (Bad reactions obviously).

I don't want to keep hiding this from her. If I were in her place, I would be more upset that my daughter tried to hide it from me... I don't want to keep this a secret for much longer, but I don't know how to tell her. My morning sickness is getting worse everyday, and she's not a stupid woman. I don't want to get kicked out of my house, or have her say something that could ruin our relationship forever. Any other teen mommies have advice on telling parents?

Also, my SO and I wanted to tell our families together, but whenever one of us feels comfortable telling, the other decides we should put it off.

Thank you in advance

I am going to say exactly what everyone else is going to tell you.
Get up, right now. Not in 20 minutes. Go right now, and just say it.
It is going to hurt like hell getting it out, but when you say it its going to feel like a huge weight is off of your shoulders.
I am not sure of the relationship that your SO has with your family but from my experience I am glad I told my mom by myself, I feel like she was more sensitive to the fact that I needed her when I told her one on one.

She may not be thrilled about it at first, she may yell, she may tell you over and over how disappointed she is. But I bet you she will come around, and if she doesn't then you have a lot of big decisions to make.

I know you have no idea who I am, but I am going to be 100% honest with you, you NEED to sit down and make sure you're making the right decision for you. Not for your boyfriend, not for your friends, but for you.

Well putting something off that you need to do will serve to bother you. Also, if your mother does throw you out, would it be better to tell her now and not face her potential resentment from dishonesty and also give you a place to find for you and your soon to be little one?

Firstly, congratulations!

Secondly, I think face-to-face is best. I was 16 when I fell pregnant with my first and text my mum and turned my phone off, I still feel awful about how I did it - over 5 years later! The second time, when I was 18 I told her when we were walking back to my parent's house, there was no one around but it was still public so she couldn't go mad lol, she wasn't very happy but was over it in a couple of days. My dad who didn't talk to me until I was 6/7 months pregnant with my first reassured me and gave me a hug. The reactions were much better, not only because the situation was different but I really think they appreciated the way I told them, compared to the first time.

It's probably not going to be easy, at all, but the sooner the better, honestly. It's better to get it out of the way so everyone has time to get their heads around it as it's huge for parents too. Good luck! :hugs:

Clairaye I did exactly the same! Text my mum and turned my phone off, then went home the next day. I thought she'd be mad too but she was surprisingly supportive!

I agree with the others, just go and tell her, it'll be hard but worth being honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->