19 & doing water birth. ADVICE?

azzii

August Mommy<3
Reaction score
Hi there. I got onto B&B today and saw the new HOME&NATURAL BIRTHING section and was so excited. I'm 19 years old and 34 weeks pregnant. Ive been seeing my MW since i was about 2-3 months pregnant. I decided that im having a water birth at our local birthing center. Im so excited for the whole experience. Ive taken all of my classes and such. Is there any advice though?
What is it like? How was it for you?

hey hun ive not had one but i didnt want to r&r i am also having a water birth and so excited i know here in the uk most birthing pool you have to be in a harness haha i didnt like the sound of that so at the hospital i asked if i would be harnessed and im not so that made me a bit better. if you look on you tube or one born every minute you will find lots of vids and peoples feelings xx

Hi Azzii,

I'm a midwife and water births are wonderful!!!! Go for it!

The water really helps with the pain, not completely, but helps you cope better and it si so gentle and natural I love them!!

And no, I have never seen anyone harnessed in a pool!!

Good luck X

Hiya. I had a water birth and I can honestly say it was the best experience I've ever had. (It was my first baby). It was so calming and relaxing that I've already decided that if I'm going to have more children later on in life I'm not doing it inless I can do it in a birthing pool.

It was lovely. I had no pain relief and before I was actually in labour I was adamant I wanted every drug available to me. I did try gas & air but it made me feel sick so I did it without anything.. I'm not gonna lie labour did hurt but I honestly believe that if I had given birth on a bed it would have hurt more. I don't know why I feel like that it's true.. The water release's you're natural endorphins which block pain.. And if you get you're breathing right, focus and block everything out it's over in no time.. If I could go back and do it all again I would.. That's how much I loved the experience lol.

Another plus side is that because you're in the water for a while (I was in there a total of 3 hours) it softens you're perineum so you've got less chance of tearing or needing a cut.. I was so relaxed that in total I had a 4 hour 17minute birth. No pain relief.And only 2 minor grazes. Meaning intact perineum and no stitches :thumbup:

I would recommend a waterbirth to anyone who is thinking of it. The best part is if you decide to deliver you're placenta naturally (no injection) then you can sit in the pool for a while thus giving you time to cuddle you're little one and have that first bonding experience skin to skin. The MW I had refilled the bath regularly so it was never cold. And best of all she didn't even care when I pee'd a little whilst pushing :blush:

I had a 43 hour labour, which started off with me planning to deliver at home...it didn't quite go to plan because I got so knackered out (didn't progress as I should have done :dohh: silly body!) but I spent 29 hours labouring at home, most of that time in my birth pool - it was fab, it really made a difference... I found that I could cope better with contractions by leaning forward over the side of the pool (I used an inflatable, but usually at birth centres, they'll have proper solid ones...) and swaying so the water sloshed back and forth over my back and my tummy... My DH was impressed with how well I dealt with the pain and I could really tell the difference when I got out of the pool - the intensity of the contractions felt greater - so it's definitely something I'd recommend!! :)

xxx

:) Thank you everyone. Im so excited for my water birth. Ive heard so many great things about it.

What do you think was the hardest part about it though?

:) Thank you everyone. Im so excited for my water birth. Ive heard so many great things about it.

For me the hardest part was getting out of the pool with the cord between my legs.. It looked like I had a willy :rofl:

For me the hardest part was getting out of the pool with the cord between my legs.. It looked like I had a willy :rofl:

:rofl:!!!

I never got to do that unfortunately!! :dohh: So can't really comment on the hardest part as wholly as others might be able to... but getting out of the pool to go to the toilet!! My God, the contractions were like 5 times worse there!! :dohh::haha:

I never got to do that unfortunately!! :dohh: So can't really comment on the hardest part as wholly as others might be able to... but getting out of the pool to go to the toilet!! My God, the contractions were like 5 times worse there!! :dohh::haha:

Totally agree!! I don't think I could have managed if I weren't in the water. I loved it. I really tried to hold going to the toilet.. But unfortunately I didn't think about what would happen when I pushed:dohh:. Thankfully I didn't poop though :rofl:

Totally agree!! I don't think I could have managed if I weren't in the water. I loved it. I really tried to hold going to the toilet.. But unfortunately I didn't think about what would happen when I pushed:dohh:. Thankfully I didn't poop though :rofl:

It definitely made things a lot more bearable for me... I got out of the pool for a wander around incase it was slowing down my progress and WHAM, I couldn't believe how much of a difference the water was making! I just think the different ways you can move about in the water make things more manageable and the warmth soothes the aches!

I ended up delivering on a bed and pooed... Didn't realise the first time until DH told me I had :dohh: I was dreading pooing in the pool!!! -Sigh- Oh well, after worrying about doing it beforehand, once DH told me I already had, the last morsel of my pride went out of the window :rofl:

xx

Lol. My mom had all four of us kids in the water, and poo'd twice. Thats the only thing im worried about. Although i warned everyone who is going to be there that it might happen. :)

Hardest part was getting out to be checked for me too :rofl:

I was 19 when i was pregnant with Tabs and I had a water birth... It was an amazing experience and i want another one :lol:

Hardest part was getting out to be checked for me too :rofl:

I was 19 when i was pregnant with Tabs and I had a water birth... It was an amazing experience and i want another one :lol:

Yay! Im hoping mine goes as planned. :)

Good luck for it...I just hope I'm
as lucky this time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back