19 month old still demanding bottle

N

Nerdy

My son will eat EVERYTHING. He loves fruits, veggies, meat... You name it, he's all over it. He still, however, demands a bottle. At least 3 or 4 a day. We're on whole milk cut with water at this point. He's super iffy about his sippy cups also - to the point where he'll drink a few sips and then happily sit there sipping and spitting it out all over himself.

Might be a stupid question but gave you tried giving him milk in a normal cup - no spout or straw. It's a tricky one because there is no issue with a bf baby wanting to nurse for comfort at that age, but all kinds of pressure on bottle fed babies to not be ruining their teeth with bottles, but psychologically the babies have the same needs!

Might be a stupid question but gave you tried giving him milk in a normal cup - no spout or straw. It's a tricky one because there is no issue with a bf baby wanting to nurse for comfort at that age, but all kinds of pressure on bottle fed babies to not be ruining their teeth with bottles, but psychologically the babies have the same needs!

He's relatively decent at trying to drink from a regular cup. He'll steal sips off whatever we have, but he's not exactly the most coordinated dude handling them on his own. I AM seriously concerned about his teeth since he's taken to copying his cousin on fighting the toothbrush when he used to love it, especially if I sat there and just brushed his tongue for awhile.

I totally get the double standard too. So difficult. :(

He's relatively decent at trying to drink from a regular cup. He'll steal sips off whatever we have, but he's not exactly the most coordinated dude handling them on his own. I AM seriously concerned about his teeth since he's taken to copying his cousin on fighting the toothbrush when he used to love it, especially if I sat there and just brushed his tongue for awhile.

I totally get the double standard too. So difficult. :(

What does he use for his meal time drinks?

dd1 had a bottle forever and her dr at the time said if she wants the bottle give her a bottle. He was more concerned with how much milk/formula a baby drinks at that age rather than if it is from a bottle or sippy. He said a sippy cup is the same as a bottle, just a different nipple. For a long time we just gave her one morning and night and then cut out the morning one sometime after age 2. SHe had one at night til she was almost 3. I wouldn't really be concerned about it!

My 19 month rarely drinks out of anything that isn't a bottle and has a massive tantrum if I try to give him anything else. His brother only stopped using his bottle at a slightly younger age but gave it up without any problems. I wouldn't worry about his teeth just yet as the dentist has always said my lo's teeth are perfect. I'm going to try and phase out the bottle at home and then hopefully he'll be used to his cup when we're out

Meal time he'll drink from a straw out of a cup no problem, provided one of us holds the cup unless we want a small puddle of water or juice or what have you. I'm more concerned with the sheer amount of milk he still seems so reliant on. He'll definitely drink everything from water, to juice, to powerade (cut with water), but to me 4 bottles of milk seems pretty excessive? Or maybe I'm just daffy for listening to other moms? He's perfectly healthy, has great teeth, and is a BIG boy, very tall for his age. Maybe I should just stop worrying and just be happy that he eats everything under the sun even if he still throws a tantrum unless he gets a bottle?

I chopped the teats off and chucked bottles out at 16 months it was a couple days of tantrums but luckily I live 75miles from a shop that would sell a bottle, I would have def cracked had I lived closer :) My 20 month old still has 3 cups a day, his dad has more than that and always had :) Sometimes I give him red milk (skimmed) but generally blue (full fat)

A 'helpful' mum at toddlers suggested I move him on to juice as her little cherub gets fruit cordial made up with orange juice :dohh:

haha it still applies, sadly. He's actually MUCH better. He'll drink out of a cup no problem now, but demands a bottle at bed and nap times. Small steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->