2 soft markers for DS

Jeval323

Reaction score
So we had all the DS screening tests at 20 weeks and all came back good. Baby had 1 soft marker for DS, the dilated kidneys. That was it, doctor said very common though and not to worry about it. Everything else measured right on.

I get sonograms every 3-4 weeks to check up on her kidneys, and no changes had come until the 35 week sonogram. Suddenly her femur bone started measuring under 5%. Which is apparently a 2nd soft marker now. So I'm really freaked out and upset.

Is it possible to have soft markers like this and just be fine?? Doctor said I don't have anything to worry about at all when it comes to DS. They never even offered me screening on it. Google is a nightmare and is basically telling me to expect DS.

Any insight? Her femur measured fine until 35 weeks and her kidneys actually fixed themselves on the last scan. Doc said she might just be a little short and to relax.. but I can't relax. Ugh, any positive stories is appreciated.

I don't have anything like what you have but at my 20 scan with my daughter I had a marker for downs which was an increased nuchal fold. Max is 6mm and Scarlett's was 7.4mm. I didn't have any further testing although I was out of my mind, but Scarlett was born perfectly healthy.

It's not always bad news. Did you have the DS testing done at 12 weeks? X

Her kidneys repairing is a great sign. My daughter always had a very small femur measurement but she's fine. Just a short baby and she's recently sprung up to the 50th percentile for height so you wouldn't even know x

I am in the same situation that mummy of ange was in.
Just the other day I got called into my doctor's office to be given that news.
I went for a level 2 ultrasound and now the fold is even higher than we thought, at 7mm.
It's definitely not a good feeling, but the way I am trying to handle it is thinking, what could I even do at this point in my pregnancy? Nothing.
I know it's so hard but try to be positive. Remember that these things aren't definite, it is not a diagnosis just a possibility.
I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best. xo

I had 1:20 odds of down syndrome after my scan and bloods...and that was before they knew she had a cystic hygroma. She was born healthy and beautiful, and without ds, and is undergoing treatment for her ch. It looks like a cyst on her shoulder and will go away. In my case there were more things pointing towards ds than in yours, so try not to worry.

Josh had the kidney dilation, which didn't fix itself and he had to have lots of tests/antibiotics from birth etc...all has been fine all the way along, tests were routine...if she does still have problems with the kidney dilation at birth, feel free to PM me and I will let you know what we went through with Josh. He also had a calcium spot on his heart, another soft marker...and he's been fine. Was really scary at the scan though, the sonographer just said, he has these two soft markers, then put us in a side room to wait for a doctor to explain things to us, I was in bits!

I'm sure everything will be fine xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->