2 yrs old DD speech delayed - I'm scared & depressed

Annanouska I thinks mils have a habit of saying stuff like ah he'l be grand but it doesn't help when ur goin out of ur mind with worry and all u want them to do is talk.my little boy had his first speech therapy the other day and they just started by working on turn taking copying and imitation so that's our homework until next month.apparently their all pre language skills that he needs

Thanks for the videos sethmummy!

Yeah, my DD is pretty much making one kind of sound like that, not babbling at all.
I hope she will improve soon.

Lynne, I'm planning to enroll her in nursery or preschool when she's 3, but DH wants to enroll her when she's 2.5. Just gonna do 3-4 hrs kind of preK.

Still looking around for a school that accepts special needs children. The one I want her to go only accepts children 3 yo and up.

I probably just wait for our speech session and ask advice about the school thing.

Searched for this as I'm having similar issues with my DS, Any update to how your little one is doing?

Thanks for the videos sethmummy!

Yeah, my DD is pretty much making one kind of sound like that, not babbling at all.
I hope she will improve soon.

Lynne, I'm planning to enroll her in nursery or preschool when she's 3, but DH wants to enroll her when she's 2.5. Just gonna do 3-4 hrs kind of preK.

Still looking around for a school that accepts special needs children. The one I want her to go only accepts children 3 yo and up.

I probably just wait for our speech session and ask advice about the school thing.

Searched for this as I'm having similar issues with my DS, Any update to how your little one is doing?

Hello.

She is currently 31 months old. She's been on speech therapy since around August, 1-2x a week.
She's still not talking. No words. No improvement with vocalization at all.
She still doesn't follow directions or point to things in books (e.g: point to a picture of a banana or a dog).

But, she's improving.

Before she preferred to watch videos on ipad or watch tv. Now she plays with her toys and plays with me and hubby for long period of time.

She's been using sign languages for "open", "milk", "drink", "eat", "help", or points to things she wants me or hubby to get her.

Since she's around 30 months old, she's started to understand a few things we ask her, like "do you want to go out?" and she will go to the door and get her shoes. "Turn on/off the light" or "close the door" and she will go do it. "Do you want to take a bath?" and she will go to the bathroom. "Let's brush your teeth" and she will follow me to the bathroom to get her toothbrush. "Do you want to take a nap/go to bed?" and she will go to her room.

Half a year ago, we thought she's on the spectrum, but now we think she's just a late talker.
Also my cousin's son didn't say a word until after 3. So we're trying not to worry much about it.

It is good she is picking up sign language to communicate her wants and needs.

It is nice to read through some of these responses. My DS (almost 2.5 years old) has been receiving speech for almost a year now (amongst other therapies) and he still has no words and does not have receptive language/doesn't follow directions. He was diagnosed with ASD and has been in a school setting for almost 3 months now but progress has been slow. To the OP I think its great that she is using sign and even leading you to what she wants. My DS will just stand and yell in front of the fridge if he wants his juice, we try to form his hand into a point to try and indicate what he wants. I am hoping in time a light bulb will go off and everything will come together. But I too get sad when I see other kids around his age or younger, talking up a storm.

It is nice to read through some of these responses. My DS (almost 2.5 years old) has been receiving speech for almost a year now (amongst other therapies) and he still has no words and does not have receptive language/doesn't follow directions. He was diagnosed with ASD and has been in a school setting for almost 3 months now but progress has been slow. To the OP I think its great that she is using sign and even leading you to what she wants. My DS will just stand and yell in front of the fridge if he wants his juice, we try to form his hand into a point to try and indicate what he wants. I am hoping in time a light bulb will go off and everything will come together. But I too get sad when I see other kids around his age or younger, talking up a storm.

Yah, super duper slow indeed.
Her receptive language has just started improving when she was 30 months old, and able to clearly point what she wants pretty recent.

During speech session, when the therapists (she has 3, two from Early Intervention, and 3rd one paid by insurance) ask her to say something like "ah!", or "oh", she just touches her mouth with her fingers. If they force her too much, she will look other way or just roll around on the floor or throw herself at me.

Yea, I too also feel sad when I see other kids around her age, or even younger, already can speak in sentences.
I go to a "parents & 2-year-olds" class once a week, out of 15 kids, only she and a boy who can't speak yet, but that boy can say at least 2-3 words, she has none.

I wonder when she will want to be potty trained too. Probably not until she's 3-3.5 years old. :shrug:

So glad to hear she improved with the receptive language and pointing. They are teaching my son to point in school (he goes to a school right now through Early Intervention). I find he does more things at school than at home....

Oh boy yea I can't even think of potty training yet. I know all of my relatives who have kids around my son's age are starting to potty train but since my son cannot communicate to me at all this is not going to be possible for a while. Thankfully if he does go to a special needs pre-school next year, they will change diapers.

Don't fret about potty training. We only cracked it when my boy was 3 years and 8 months. None of the hv's were concerned even when no one knew he was asd. As they said potty training is a frustrating business and some kids take a while to crack it. Sensible advice I thought given all the books seem to think you should crack it in a week sat at home. As if!

Thanks for the advice. My concern is that I can't even begin the process until he is at least communicating with me in some way, even non-verbal so I will see how he is in a year or so. His teacher in Early Intervention suggested we try the PECS system.

Potty training was a long process for us and my son has very few words he actually only said pee pee for the 1st time the other week so basically I potty trained a non verbal child he uses the big toilet now but still won't say when he needs he just go's I can read his body language now so I no when he needs that way.
I don't no what age you're son is my ds is 4 in April so he was 3 so was like 3 1/2 when he really got to grips with the toilet xx

Hi,

I just wanted to share. I had delayed speech when I was young. Until about 2.5 years old, my only words were "dada" and "hot", although I did have receptive language, so my mom was only a little concerned. Then one day around 2.5 years old, my dad asked me what I wanted for lunch and I surprised the crap out of him when I said, "a peanut butter and jelly would be suitable." I kid you not, that was my first sentence. It turns out that I was a little delayed, but then did it very well and all at once (a pattern I followed later with other things too). I'm 28 now with a daughter of my own, I had no learning disabilities, and am a lawyer.

I know that's not the case for every child, but I just wanted to mention that sometimes delayed output is really nothing to worry about. After all, now I talk for a LIVING. :)

I hope that gives some hope to some of you and turns out to be the case for your LOs! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->