• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

20 month old not talking referred to pediatrician UK

mehere2015

Reaction score
Hi my 20 month old son seems so behind. Only just started walking between furniture unsteady. He's not said one word just blows raspberries, and makes grumpy winging sounds, he just cries still when wanting something. He hardly responds to his name but does so after saying it 5 times, he's been for a hearing test and failed for not hearing a tiny jingle bell sound. He responded to voices and bigger sounds all in normal range. He's had his eyes checked which they said seemed OK he's just a bit long sighted so they are keeping an eye on both. It's not just the slow development it's his behaviour ever since he was around 4 months old, any where we go he just screams. I've been waiting to see if he will grow out of it with no such luck. Can't attend birthday party’s, play groups, friends or even family members houses he just screams until we get home and then he's back to his happy self when we're home! He avoids eye contact unless I hold him and make him, he does smile when I smile at him. And he will reluctantly give me a kiss but not very often. He used to do high 5 but not recently and he used to clap hands when asked but now does not. His eating and sleeping are fine. I have another child 7 years old, My 20 month old never bothers with him even when he sits down with toys the 20 month old just always get angry and I have to tell my eldest not play with him? He will only stay with mum or dad. Will not even go to close friends or family, he will cry if they even say hello to him. He loves television and will flap his arms when his favourite shows come on. He sat up at 8 and half months, he rolled over at 4 months but stopped soon after and started rolling again 11months. He started crawling at 18 months, bum shuffling a tiny bit 16 months, standing up on his own 19 and half month. Sippy free flow cup 9months, finger foods 10 month so most of his development has been delayed. He used to sometimes baby babble but now only seems to make noises like errr arghgg and grunting and screaming happy and sad. He does laugh hysterically occasionally especially if I tickle his belly. He’s never been cuddley and never wanted to be picked up and cuddled, however he now will have some cuddle time so this is improving. He did have around 6/7 ear infection which were treated and then checked again weeks later all seeming fine. Other than that he’s seemed healthy.

I’m waiting on my paediatric appointment which has been cancelled 3 times now and I’m getting very concerned for my child.

Do these sound normal behaviours do you think I should be ringing every day to get him seen I never had this with my oldest son.
Thanks

Toddlers are funny little things. My daughter is not a hugger at all when she cries at night if i scoop her up to cuddle her in she just gets more upset to put her back down she only really hugs me when shes hurt herself but now at 20 months shes starting to hug more in an affectionate way and blow kisses. I think all kids develop and mature at different rates in saying that because of some of the things you have listed when you put it all together I would be quite keen to see a developmental peadatrician. my oldest daughter was totally anti social as a toddler but now a different girl at 5. my youngest daughter although she is shy with strangers she is very sociable and outgoing loves interaction and games etc so it may be personality but like i said I would push harder for an appointment and also would suggest writing all your concerns down. I didnt know what to expect on my first appointment and forgot to mention things x

I would push to get him seen just because the pushier you are the quicker you will get seen.
and clearly this is worrying you so knowing that the appointment is in place will be a small relief for you.

My son had little interest in other people when he was your son's age. I'd come back from work and he wouldn't register that I was there. He'd just keep watching telly.

He's now 4 and at school and very different. He wants to share info with me and we sit together and do the puzzles in his comics.

He's even made friends at school despite the fact he still doesn't talk much outside the home. Apparently all the little girls like giving him hugs and holding his hand.

So what a child is like as a toddler doesn't necessarily reflect on what they will be like when they are older.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for replies I managed to get through to hospital after 2 days of trying, seems they messed up all my appointment but seems sorted and letter with appointment out in the post now ASAP.

Yeah I totally understand that they can change behaviour my 7 year old used to be very shy and very well behaved (but nothing like my younger boy) but now the 7 year old is antypical 7 going on 17 year old very boisterous and outgoing. And my eldest was 9 weeks premature and met all his milestones on time.

It just gets me down a bit especially being stuck in the house 24/7 letting people down for invitations because I can't control my 20month old hysterically uncontrollable crying/screaming and I don't really want to subject other people to that either, especially at occasions when quiet is needed. We go out and come back early from anywhere more stressed than before we went so I've just give up. And hopefully we will be seen by the pediatrician soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morris98
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->