20 week scan baby measuring small.

RainbowDrop_x

Reaction score
Had our 20 week scan today and everything is perfect as in it all looks how it should but the lady who did the scan has worried me a little.

All measurements that she took plot within “normal” range but when she measured baby’s tummy it was only measuring 18 weeks and 4 days (currently 20 weeks and 3 days) She said she isn’t concerned as baby is within range and she wasn’t so worried that I have to go back but it’s got me a little worried.

Has this happened to anyone else? I can’t stop worrying.

@RainbowDrop_x Hugs! I know babies all grow at different rates so if she wasn't worried I would try not to worry. (Easier said than done I know). Surely they would want to redo measurements if it was going to be an issue? Was everything else on target? My daughters head circumference was showing as 17 weeks 4 days when I had my 18 week scan but that was the only thing that was off by a bit so I apologize I am not that helpful. I did ask my tech which part they measure to accurately conclude the due date originally given is correct and she said by the tummy. I did not have a 12 week confirmation scan of my due date though like some people get. I only got the first one at 6 weeks 4 days so if your baby has been measuring right those two scans It will probably catch up!

All other measurements were on track, head circumference, femur length etc it was just the tummy circumference that was off.

I think what’s worried me is that before she plotted the graph she said “that’s a bit worrying” but then once the graph was plotted back tracked and said it’s all fine. I have a tendency to over worry and over think so that comment has done exactly that.

I had the same with my DD but with her head. It was at 34 weeks and they said that it was the lower side of average and because it was still in the average category it was OK. She was completely fine when she was born :)

With my DS at the 20 week scan they thought his legs were too small and said they were worried. They left the room and checked with a senior colleague and they said it was OK. Of course I couldn't help worrying, but he was born weighing almost 10 lbs and was absolutely fine.

I'm sure everything will be just fine with your little one :) <3

I can understand why it worried you rainbow but try not to worry. If they were that concerned they would schedule you for follow up growth scans.

When I was born I was 3 weeks overdue and showed all the signs I was over baked (long finger nails etc). However a hv tried to convince my mother I was premature cos my head was small! Babies grow at different rates and in different proportions. Thats what makes each one unique.

I had baby measuring 5 days behind at 12 weeks (artificial conception so exact date was known) then at 20 week scan he was measuring over a week behind with femur length being two weeks behind but at 28 week scan he is measuring two weeks ahead for femur, 2.5 ahead on head and 3.1 weeks ahead on his tummy. Gone from expecting a small baby to being worried we will need to birth a turkey!
Try not to worry. It if you find yourself thinking too much about it ask your midwife to schedule a growth scan for a few weeks time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->