20 week scan - gender driving me mad!

schnoogles

Reaction score
So, we had or 20 week scan. Everything is looking great so far. Yay! We asked if we could find out the sex. The baby had kept their legs crossed and tucked up through the whole scan but the sonographer said that she would try.
We didn't see anything that you could make out as genitals. The sonographer started talking as though we wouldn't be able to find out. Then suddenly said that she couldn't be sure, but thought that it was a girl, she had seen a few glimpses that looked girly. She carried on looking. I said "well, should I hold off buying pink just yet" and she said "well if you buy some, you could always sell it". I asked her what exactly she is looking for to know its a girl and she was explaining whilst looking again. I mentioned that the consultant has booked us in for a 30 week scan, and she immediately stopped and said "ah well, we will try aging then" Then she finished with "so I think it's a girl" and referred to the baby as she and "your daughter".

Now I'm going mad, is it a girl or not?! We didn't mind before, but now I'm attached to a girl. Does that make sense. I have started buying pink. I will be disappointed now if it turns out to be a boy. OH says it's a girl and that's it, he has no doubts. It's driving me nuts. I can't wait abother 10 weeks! I'm booking a private scan for 27 weeks so I can be certain.

Please tell me I'm not alone with a shy baby!!

No personal experience but I know I would feel the exact same as you, I didnt care one way or another before the 20 week scan we were told it was a girl but I know I would be heartbroken if they told me at the next scan it was a boy

Sounds like the tech isn't 100% sure either...
I didn't want to find out but hubby did so I gave the tech permission to tell hubby. Our baby was being uncooperative, it had its back to my front so our guess is as good as that of the tech. ;)
There are lots of cute gender neutral things out these days. I am waiting for the moment when hubby announces "it's a ..." after I give birth.

How frustrating! With dd my sonographer wrote "girl parts?" on the 20 week scan and I drove myself crazy second guessing until my 32 week scan.

This time we found our we're having girls based on the nipt results. I truly had no preference this pregnancy but now am attached to the idea of girls so I'm super nervous about them "still being girls" at my ultrasound Thursday :)

Happy to hear the rest of the screen went well. Best of luck deciding on a private scan. I'd like to think I'd do one in that situation but decided to spend the money on baby gear last time instead :o

I would go insane................. aaarrrggghhh! would rather that just said they couldn't tell than guess ish like that.... you have to get a privet one now!

I would just book a private scan, I know they are costly but I think it would be worth it to ease your mind.

I'd be so annoyed! If she didn't know she could've just said that, at least you won't be getting attached to a daughter only to find out you're having a son!

Thanks, I feel better now I know I'm not alone. I was worried that I sound Ungrateful, and I don't mean to be. I think that she should not have said if she was so unsure. I know it's never 100%. We already have a boy so there's no point really buying nutral as we have everything for a boy from last time. I don't fancy hitting the shops in December with a toddler and new born so I had wanted to have everything ready.

Patience has never been my strong point!

you can get gender scans from 16 weeks lovely, why not book one sooner?

I'd definitely book a private scan soon if you want to know the gender. I've had scans around 27-28 weeks and it is harder to make things out as it gets more crowded in there.

At my 20 week scan with LO the sonographer referred to LO as "he" several times and said "he's being a naughty boy". I'm not sure whether he was trying to double bluff us (as we didn't want to know the gender, so I wonder whether he thought we'd seen girly parts and wanted to help throw us off to maintain the surprise) or thought that she was a boy, but she's definitely a girl!

For me, if the tech wasn't sure then I wouldn't be sure (and even if they were I'd still worry!) so I'd have to have a gender scan asap before I got too attached to the idea of one gender only to find out it was the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->