22 month old woke up with limp

sheebee

Reaction score
My lo had a sleep over at my parents last night. When he woke up this morning my mum noticed him limping, which he is still doing now. She said nothing obvious happened to cause the limp. There are no bumps, bruises or swelling anywhere on his legs so I have no clue what to do?

He doesn't seem to be in pain when he's walking but the limp is very obvious, any thoughts?

Has he recently had a cold or other virus?

Reason I ask is that my daughter started limping and then stopped putting weight on her legs completely a few months ago. Very scary. No signs of injury. We took her to A&E and she was diagnosed with something called Irritable Hip/Inflammation of the hip. It's when a virus settles in the hip joint and causes it to become inflamed. Symptoms are limping, tiptoe walking and it can progress to a total refusal to walk. It's supposedly pretty common but I'd never heard of it.

Just something to consider. We were allowed home the same day & just had to give ibruprofen. She only refused to walk for one day then gradually improved.

Thanks for your reply, i havent heard of that either! He had a cold about 2/3 weeks ago, do you think it would take this long to happen?

My LO had this a few months ago. We were at a soft play place and all of a sudden I noticed my LO limping. So I took his sock off, looked for any swelling or something where he might have hurt his leg or foot but couldn't see anything obvious. I felt all round his foot to see if it hurt him when I touched it. But he didn't seem too bothered - wasn't crying or anything and just wanted to play. As the morning went on his limp got worse but still in no obvious pain. I didn't really know what to do. I decided to take him down to our local little hospital just to get it checked out to make sure it wasn't broken or anything, although I was pretty sure it wasn't broken. The nurse checked his foot over and saw him limping but because he wasn't showing any signs of being in pain, she said he had most likely twisted it or sprained it playing at the soft play place. Just like how we would hurt our ankle/foot if we landed on it funny. He did have the limp for a few days and then it just went away and he was fine again. So I am pretty sure that he had maybe just sprained his ankle or foot somehow.

Thanks for your reply, i havent heard of that either! He had a cold about 2/3 weeks ago, do you think it would take this long to happen?

Ciara's came on a couple of weeks after the cold. She had a blood test at the hospital which checked for infection, as there is something called septic hip which needs antibiotics. That would present with a fever too though.

My lo has had this twice after a cold and it was diagnosed as irritable hip where the virus settles in the hip. It cleared up after a week but you may want to get him seen with a doctor for a blood test as it can be dangerous if it is an infection.

Thanks all, he woke up this morning and the limp has gone!! I'm assuming whatever causing it is OK now, will keep an eye out for it but think it fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->