Expired test positive and getting darker

star25

Reaction score
Hi all, I got 4 FRER in boots yesterday as they were £5 a box, I didn't realise til I got home the expiry dae was April 23, so 9 months out of date.

I used one and saw a questionable faint line, could have been an indent, not really any amount of hold on urine and drinking a fair amount

I waited 4 hours and drank less, done another one from the second box and it was there again, faint but darker.

I waited until this morning and done another one from the first box again after a 5 hour overnight and only small sips of drink in the night (I always need a drink when LO wakes up lol)
This was more clearly visible and you can see its pink

Can it be false do you think if it is getting darker? and the tests were from 2 different boxes, same expiry date
I would think if anything a false negative is more likely as the test expires it loses the antibodies that detects the hcg

I already have 4, 3 from IVF and my last little miracle is 18 months old.

I'm going to get a boots 5 day early test this afternoon and test using he urine I saved this morning, this mornings was a definite positive.

I said I would give myself til my birthday 2 weeks ago and if not pregnant go on the pill as didn't want to be much older than 41 with 4 children 8 years and under already and little one doesn't sleep, I had basically accepted I wouldn't be having anymore even though I also have frozen embryos stored, not sure what to think!

Thank you for reading, I will take pics later but the first 2 are hard to see on camera!

I think I’ve never used expired tests, but I also think you don’t need fmu to test. Personally, I’d just do a 2 hour hold no liquids over using fmu that’s been sitting 1/2-3/4 of a day. Even with my early bfps (8/9/10 dpo) a 2h hold was sufficient.

I have heard expired tests giving false positives but if you’re seeing a progression and they’re not much expired then it’s definitely a possibility.

Hope things turn out as you hope.

Thank you!
I've done a boots 5 day early which possibly shows a line and a cheapie possibly does, however, I know the cheapie shows lines later as used them before and they've always taken a while to darken

The boots one the urine was left in the cup for 10 hours so I'll try a fresh one later, I didn't know it wasn't good to use it if it had been out a while so thank you!

Just checked and the cheapie is definitely positive, I never get lines on these unless I've definitely being pregnant so I'll re do the boots one later with new urine, thank you for your reply

Just to update, the second boots has a slightly better line than the first one, 2 hr hold and had a cup of tea but not really loving these tests considering a poundland one is showing darker, 1 more frer for tomorrow and I'll get a couple. More cheapie of a different brand when I'm out tomorrow

Haha well here are some, not great I know but the bottom 2 haven't dried so I think they will dry darker, can't get a good pic
The darker frer is from this morning, the lighter one yesterday morning
The top one was a boots with 2 hr hold on the afternoon and cup of tea lol
I'll get more poundland ones tomorrow

IMG_20240207_133741.jpg

You can't see it much in the bottom one but I don't really like cheapie as always struggle to get a good line

Oooh looking good @star25 cautious congrats!!
@HalfricanMa I've gotta ask cos it's driving me mad lol where is your username from? I always wonder if you are half African lol? Or am I just totally way off?

Today's poundland one is at the bottom, top is 46 hours before, I think there is a difference but not sure if dark enough, although yesterday's frer was good and these don't go as dark as frer
Just got 3 more of these tests for the next 3 days
Not sure of dpo, last few cycles have been 31-33 days, before that could be anything up to 45 days
Started testing positive day 27 and now day 30

IMG_20240208_183503.jpg

I definitely see a difference between the two, the progression looks good to me!

Thank you! I'll do the same test tomorrow morning, so only be a 16 hr gap roughly but want to do the next ones in the mornings too

Todays is at the bottom, starting to feel better about it now, cd 31, I'm not worried about the level of darkness as I know these tests take a while being cheap, just glad to see progression

Thank you for the supportive comments

IMG_20240209_100300_edit_172722006123642.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"