Buttered toast, any sort of veg or fruit cut into a stick shape, just avoid anything too slippery or she won't be able to pick it up. Anything really... I'm not sure if you can give cheese at 5 months but Ruby likes sticks of cheese, mini babybels...

You may need to steer clear of bread until 6 months although we didn't. Wedges of sweet potato have gone down really well for us as have parsnip etc. Also just try cutting things like apple and pear into finger food sized bits. You might have to go on a shopping trip, I know we did!

I second the parsnips - Violet loves them!

Broccoli and cauliflower are usually reccomended as well as they have 'stalks' to hold, but tbh, Violet didn't get on too well with these... she tries holding the wrong end and it doesn't work :lol:

Cucumber we found to be good, and apple was another good one.

Peppers are easy to hold as well.

Basically, make sure whatever you give her is at least 2 inches long and wide enough for her to grab but not too big that she can't get her fist round it.

Yep, it can just be a abit more difficult for them to hold

For banana to make it easier to grab I crushed up Cheerios and coated the outside (she was about 6-7 months with it though), and now (we use baby cereal so I have it) I coat the banana in baby cereal to make it easier to grip.

Steamed broccoli, the stem part makes a good "handle" and then they can munch on the top bits of it, they are small and come off easily..

Grated cheese has been the best consistency for us..

She has melon, blueberries (I cut them in half as the ones from the grocery store are huge!), toast.. she has mashed potatoes bc they sort of clump together and she can grab them..

Probably, I mean if you boil them they are quite soft.. with potatoes I find I need to always be at the ready with the sippy cup w/ some water in it, even as an adult if I don't drink and eat a pile of potatoes I feel chokey, lol.

You could make sweet potato "fries" - cut to strips, maybe steam them to get them started then roast them in the oven briefly to make the outside firmer and easier to handle? Maybe not at 5.5 months, well I mean maybe it would work but I don't know, I'm sorry lol I'm used to cooking for a baby a bit older :shy:

With BLW hun, I'd just try everything.. If she can't pick it up, it's good practice, if she can then bonus lol.. That's my view :winkwink:

Roasted veg worked really well for us, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot. Lily didn't really take to broccoli and cauliflower she would eat but only in cheese. As some of the girls have said cucumber is a great one and makes a good teether too.

Banana was a bit too slippery so I just mashed it and spread it on toast, pitta bread or rice cakes.

Ps I've been writing a blog about some of our adventures with BLW. Its at www.weaningtales.blogspot.com. There's a few recipes on there and I'm hoping to build up a bank of suggested finger foods etc so feel free to have a look.

I found a really good website with loads of BLW recipes on it, it's actually a forum so I don't know if I can post it but I'll pm it to you now hun. It's great for when they are a bit older as there is so much on there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->