24 hour urine test at 8 1/2 weeks?

SJDsMommy

1 prince and 1 princess<3
Reaction score
So I had my first REAL appointment yesterday, went over history and had my pelvic exam and ultrasound and all that.. The dr wants to do a 24 hour urine test.. I don't under stand why? She said my urine sample came back normal, my blood work from last month was great, I didn't have high blood pressure, my ultrasound was fine aside from a subchorionic hemorrhage (I had one in my last pregnancy too) hear rate was 173 and baby measured 2 days ahead sooo I really don't see a reason for it :shrug:

What prompted it was that when going over the history of my previous pregnancies she was concerned that my blood pressure was critically high with my first child, it never developed into pre ecampsia and in fact got worse after labor.. (this was with a different provider) I was given meds at my first post natal check up but everything was fine afterward..I did have slightly high blood pressure with my 2nd child but no where near as bad as with my first and never had any protein in the urine issues in either pregnancy.. I was told in that pregnancy that if I were to have blood pressure issues or develop pre eclampsia that it would likely not be an issue until after 20 weeks (and my blood pressure was fine until the last month of that pregnancy but like I said it was only mildly high).

At my dr, you don't see the same person each time (unless you request to but they encourage you to see multiple drs) and whoever is on call is the one to deliver you.. this was the first time seeing this dr. I get that she just wants to be cautious but I REALLY don't see a need for this test when I am not even quite 9 weeks along yet and had nothing to be concerned about that would warrant this test (its not because of the SCH. I could see it later on, but why now?

Anyone have any idea why my dr would order this test so early on? I should have asked :dohh:

I had mine done prepregnancy and my Dr said it was so we could have a base line for as and when pregnancy progresses. I do have high bp though.

I just think its weird =/ I've never had to do this before! and really don't understand her reasoning lol

Its not the most dignified thing I've ever done that's for sure!

do you mind if I cut in and ask what a 24 hour urine test is? lol

Mine was delightful, basically you get up in the morning, have your first wee in the toilet, then every other wee you do you collect in a massive gallon carton. This is then tested!

I had mine to check kidney function and stuff, the level of creotine I expel. Its more accurate than just a one off random sample but it's still just a snapshot in time.

I am not looking forward to my repeats which my on said will likely be during 2nd and 3rd trimester, it was hard enough collecting pee without a bump!!!!!

do you mind if I cut in and ask what a 24 hour urine test is? lol

Sorry I've been slammed with homework and haven't had much time to spend here..

The 24 urine test is a collection of all your urine for 24 hours.. they instruct you to flush your first morning urine but everything else you collect in this little tray and pour into a container and return it the next day.. They check it for protein mostly. Usually this is something they would do around 20 weeks or later to rule our pre-eclampsia..

I never had pre-eclampsia.. just high blood pressure and it was in my first pregnancy, not my 2nd and so far everything is fine this time too, but I was last time that if its going to be a problem it likely won't be until after 20 weeks.. so the only logical reason I can see for this test is to give them a starting point if they are going to do it again later on :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->