24 weeks and have only gained 3lbs. Do I need to worry?

wifey2013

Reaction score
I went to see my ObGYN two days ago and when he had weighed me it turns out I have only gained 3lbs this pregnancy. Where I'm from we are only allowed one ultrasound at 20 weeks covered by our government insurance. He said he needed a reason to send me for another at 32 weeks and that he would use my poor weight gain as an excuse. On the paper I saw he wrote that they should check on the baby's growth because of my weight gain... should i be worried? With my first I had gained more weight than I should have and at 6 months I had already packed on about 15lbs!

Have you been sick during this pregnancy?

With both of mine, I was sick so much during the first 16 weeks that I lost over half a stone in weight. I'm now 19 weeks pregnant and still 2 lb lighter than I was before I got pregnant. My MW isn't worried at all. She said my uterus feels the right size. I have a scan next Friday at 20 weeks so will know more then but I'm not at all worried. I have a definite bump which tells me baby is growing, even if my backside isn't!

I only got back to my pre pregnancy weight at about 24 weeks in two of my pregnancies because of being sick. My babies were 9lbs 5oz and 11lbs so obviously no problems with lack of growth! I think your doctor is probably mostly just being nice and giving you the chance of another scan.

I wouldn't worry. Last pregnancy I had to have surgery to remove my appendix at 21 weeks and I couldn't keep food down for weeks. I had barely gained weight at 20 weeks and I lost a bunch of weight after surgery. I kept trying to force food into my body but I always got sick. I had a healthy full term 7 lb baby girl. This time I've been having an easier pregnancy and have gained about 12 lbs so far.

Everyone gains differently and sickness can impact on how much you gain. I'm 24 weeks and have gained absolutely nothing. So I know it can be a worry. Good luck, maybe the doctor just wanted to give you another scan.

Edit: Thought i'd just add that when I was pregnant with DD I had hyperemesis. I was so sick and hardly gained any weight the entire pregnancy. She was 8lb 5oz when she was born so no ill effects from my low weight gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->