if you wean earlier than 6 months apparently baby is more likely to have allergys to food products but i weaned my son at 4 months as he wasnt satisfied with his milk and he's fine no allergys at all! i think it just depends when you feel lo is ready xx

You don't have to wean before 6 months. Lots of babies have a growth spurt at 4-5 months and that is often mistaken as a need to wean. They start eating more, and most start waking more often at night for more milk. The majority of people will tell you this means they "need" solids. But that simply isn't true. Milk is what they need. It is more nutricious and higher in fat and calories than any solids you can give anyway. And solids won't help them sleep longer.

All that being said -- BLW is about your baby showing you when they are ready to wean. This is most often right about 6 months. However, some babies are ready earlier and some later. There are many signs to look for that will tell you when baby is ready. They include:

Sitting up on own, preferably unaided
Good head, neck, and back contol
chewing with gums (not just sucking) on fists, toys, etc
watching adults eat and taking a big interest
making chewing motions when they watch adults eat
grabbing for (and sticking in their mouth!) food off adults' plates

My LO showed all these signs VERY early. I held him off as long as possible with several "tricks" but in the end, let him start early. We started BLW with simple fruit and steamed veg sticks at about 5 months. He didn't eat very much at that point, but wasn't meant to. His diet was still 99% milk. He just wanted to explore and copy what the adults were doing mostly. By 6 months he was ready to start for real and I started offering our meals to him. Now, at 8 months, he eats like a real pro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->