2nd Prem baby in less than a year

mugzy

Mummy to 2 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Hello everyone :wave:

My first baby was born in October at 28 weeks. I'd had a silent infection for a couple of weeks, and by the the time there was any sign of a problem it was too late. He lived for 3 hours :cry: We decided to try for another baby as soon as we were able to, and were very lucky to catch the first egg. So I got my BFP just before christmas :cloud9:

Everything was going great, but at 22 weeks I mentioned to my doctor that my left hand felt weak and they found I had a recurrance of the cancer I had 7 years ago. So me and baby have had 2 rounds of chemo to buy us some time until he can safely be delivered and today I booked my c-section date: 15 July. Only 16 days till my little boy is here :happydance:. I'm terrified though. He'll be 33 weeks, so should be ok, but I have no idea if the chemo has affected him, or what to expect. I was also reading that prem babies do much better if their mothers are able to sit with them and talk to them. I won't be able to do that :cry: I'm going to be transferred to another hospital a couple of days after he's born for surgery and I have no idea how long I'll have to be there. My sister in law is still breastfeeding my nephew so she is going to express some for us, so he will at least get breast milk.

:hug: to you and all your beautiful miracle babies.

:hug: im so sorry to hear you are ill again sweetheart

I will pray for you and your little one :hugs: xx

I know what it's like to not be in the same hospital as your LO. My son was transferred to a different hospital after he was born because the hospital I delivered at did not have a NICU. It really really hurts knowing you have to wait DAYS to see your LO :cry: I wish both of you lots of strength to get through this. And how lovely of your sister to express breastmilk for your LO, sooo considerant!

Taker care :hugs::hugs:

:hugs:After such a traumatic thing to go through losing a baby to have a second pregnancy with complications would be any mothers worst nightmare so I can not for a second begin to imagine what you are going through all I can say is I wish you and baby a successfull and smooth c- section and recovery and I hope your treatment is effective allowing you to get back to your baby ASAP :hugs:

Just an idea but have you saw them bears where you can record your voice ? Not sure if hospital would allow it as they can be quite big but always worth asking or asking OH or hospital staff to play a recording of your voice throughout the day!

Big hugs to you and your baby xxx Its wonderful of your sister in law to express some for you.
I wish you and baby well xxxxx

i am so sorry for the loss of your little one but may you have an angel looking over you next month for your 2nd birth. If it was me I would start by playing a soft, relaxing song to my baby a few times a day to associaate the song with you and I would also record your voice. Even if it's just some humming or a few words softly spoken etc.... I am sure the hosiptal would be more than happy to play it quietly next to him / her. My daughter was in NICU for a while after she was born due to infection too, luckly she did make it but it was the hardest time of my life.
I pray all will be as easy as possible for you and little one.
And god bless you, you must be having a very hard time coming to terms with the cancer returning. You are a very strong woman.
I wish you every bit of happiness for the future with you family xxx

So sorry for your loss and sorry to hear about your illiness im praying for you and your lo, im sure you will both be ok with your little angel watching over you xx

:hug: I hope everything goes well on 15th, and with your treatment. I think recording your voice or some music you've played during your pregnancy is a wonderful idea. Thinking of you x

hugs i hope it goes well. and i think its beautiful that your SIL is going to give your baby some breast milk that is just brilliant.

:hug:

Praying and thinking about you both.

Sending you huge :hugs: You are so brave and I hope your LO arrives safely and you get to spend as much time with your baby as you can. :hugs:

Wow, you don't do things by half do you!!

Congratulations and best of luck for all of you.

I'm loving the sister in law giving expressed milk, what a great idea! Will you still be able to hand express just to get the flow going though? Remember, the milk does freeze so can be stored for use later.

To say that babies "do better" with mother's contact is something I am dubious about. It seems a little anecdotal from what I've read. Certainly there isn't any scientific evidence to back it up. When we were discussing it with the NNICU staff, I got the feeling the point of it was more to help me feel like there was something I could do for Abby at a time when I felt useless. For sure, your baby won't do any worse without it and I think worrying about it is the last thing you need at the moment.

I wish you the best of luck with your birth and I am sure everything will be just fine. I hope your operation goes well too.

You have been through so much and are very strong. We are all thinking of you and your little one.

xxx

Thank you everyone for your messages. We're going to make a recording for my husband to play to him when I'm in the other hospital. Only 8 days to go... I'm getting really excited and nervous!

Foogirl: I could express to get the milk flowing, but the milk will have to be thrown away since it is toxic for 8 weeks after chemo. Since that is another 4 weeks after he is born, and they are most likely to give me other drugs that will stop me from breastfeeding it doesn't seem worth it. I think I'm going to take the pills that stop the milk from coming in, and then if at a later stage I am able to feed, I'll take hormones to get it going again. I've had to accept that it's very unlikely that I'll be able to breastfeed this little one, which I'm very sad about (was hoping to breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months), but there is nothing I can do to change it and in the grand scheme of things, it's not THAT important. He'll have breastmilk during the most important stage, just not mine. I want to have a little tshirt made saying "Aunty Amy's milk is better than milk from any old cow" :rofl:

You are so brave, i hope everything goes ok for you. If it comes to it you could use the milk in the milk bank as well hun at least he is getting the best start and if anytime your sil cant get it to them etc sending you :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->